Help! Did my "new" 2015 Novara Tupelo 29er come with a bent axle? (videos)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

New question here. Help! Did my "new" 2015 Novara Tupelo 29er come with a bent axle? (videos)

Youtube Video #1: https://youtu.be/CHY2VFPmn_s

Youtube Video #2: https://youtu.be/Rh617p4GkGo

Hey all,
    So, I just bought a 2015 Novara Tupelo 29er on clearance from my local REI. After trying plenty of hybrids, road bikes, MTBs and craigslist finds, it just seemed like a good build for the price. I'm planning on biking all sorts of trails with it someday... but for now, and for the most part, it will be used for all-weather mixed-terrain campus commuting (conversion will commence soon, hopefully).
    As it turns out, the mechanics there may have let what looks like a bent axle slide on the pre-sales inspection. It's odd, as the one I spoke to there (no sales guys were around at the time) seemed pretty legitimate, coming from my limited bike knowledge, but extensive mechanical and engineering background. If he saw it, and let it slide, then that's pretty sad IMO.
    I got it home yesterday afternoon, and put it aside to take care of other business. This afternoon, I decided to log all of the serial numbers, and stamp/engrave my DL# into the frame in multiple places. So, I flipped her over, and naturally, had to spin things a bit just for fun.
    You'll see what I immediately picked up in video #2 above... it looks like some haus of a customer took it for a hardcore joyride and bent the wheel out of true. Then, upon closer inspection, I found the entire cassette was wobbling out of plane by at least 1/8", if not more (video #1). It also looks like there may be a flat spot on the wheel/hub.
    The bike was apparently re-assembled Stateside in March '15, so there was surely time for someone to abuse it on a test drive, or as a returned bike.
    So, what do you guys make of it? Is this just a common issue in a shop-new bike? Am I right to return it for repairs?
    Also, I can take more videos if needed.
    Thanks,
    Mike

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    For video #1: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...assette+wobble

There is too much camera movement on video #2 to see what's happening, a tire that isn't seated properly can make a wheel look like it's out of true.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Based on how much the cassette is moving in the first video, I would definitely say there is something wrong with it. Take it back and have them take a look at it.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Just take it back to the shop and have them look. REI has excellent customer service.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    For video #1: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...assette+wobble

There is too much camera movement on video #2 to see what's happening, a tire that isn't seated properly can make a wheel look like it's out of true.
    I agree^ cassette wobble is normal and tire wobble vid. is inconclusive because it doesn't show if the tire is seated correctly or not.

I like turtles
    Looks pretty normal to me. I don't think anything sinister is going on. REI is easy; just take it back in.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Awesome, thanks for the replies! I'll take it back for a quick look this next week.

Also, sorry about the shaky camera work in that second video... honestly, it was kind of a moot point anyway, as like many mentioned, the tire could be poorly molded/not seated correctly. I measured the rim runout with a dial indicator... it moves left and right by about 0.02", or ~.5mm, not that much.

After doing a bit of research, I'm guessing it's either poor hub manufacturing... or possibly an issue with the loose bearing packing (if it actually uses uncaged or loose bearings).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCSUMike View Post
    After doing a bit of research, I'm guessing it's either poor hub manufacturing... or possibly an issue with the loose bearing packing (if it actually uses uncaged or loose bearings).
    It's the hub machining, not the bearings that causes that issue, particularly the in interface between the hub shell and the cassette body. A lot of hubs show cassette wobble to some degree or another, especially the less expensive ones. The good news is that it really won't affect performance.

I like turtles
    ^^^This. Just ride.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF