Help Choosing a Shimano Rear Derailleur- Mtbr.com
    Does this look infected??

Help Choosing a Shimano Rear Derailleur

Hi I'm building up a Bandersnatch and am confused on what rear derailleur to order.

I'm using a 3x9 crankset SLX 44/32/22, the cassette is 11-32 and the chain stays on the frame are 454.5mm

I want to get the XT or the XTR but not sure which one. I'm a bit confused on the cage length and Rapid rise.
    Can someone put me in the right direction please??

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    long cage, non rapid rise.
    Last edited by Mount Dora Cycles; 10-18-2010 at 04:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    "It's amazing how people can make bicycle riding seem so complicated on the internet."

Enthusiast
    I believe the OP will need a long cage. Here's what I find in the specs on Shimano's website:

RD-M772-GS (medium cage), 34 tooth capacity
    RD-M772-SGS (long cage), 45 tooth capacity

The OP needs 43 teeth: (44-22) + (32-11).

I would further recommend a Shadow derailleur. I like their stronger spring and straight-through cable routing.

FWIW, Jenson has great pricing on OEM SLX Shadow models. Those are worth a look.

Enthusiast
    Ok. Jenson seems to be out of those SLX models. But here's a Shadow XT for only $70:

http://jensonusa.com/store/product/R...ar+Der+Oe.aspx

And for major bling, here's the XTR version for $150:

http://jensonusa.com/store/product/R...illeur+Oe.aspx

Either should work.

Does this look infected??
    Ordered that one from Jenson......Thanks for the help.

Rob

KC Weekend Warrior
    Can someone offer a short explanation of the differences and advantages/disadvantages of rapid vs non-rapid rise? I am also in the market for a rear derailleur, don't think I'll go higher than LX unless there is a super deal.

mtbr member
    Basically Rapid Rise shifts in the opposite direction as regular derailleurs. With no cable tension, the RR derailleur rests over the big cog instead of the small cog. The shifters will also shift opposite of regular derailleurs.

RR seems more intuitive to me on the trails. I use the thumb to shift on the downhills and the forefinger to shift on the uphills. My shifter allows multiple shifts with one push of the thumb lever. I find I'm more likely to need to shift quickly to a more difficult gear, rather than an easier gear.

(Check eBay for new derailleurs and compare the prices to online bike vendors, like JensonUSA. Sometimes you can get great deals on brand new stuff.)

KC Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus
    Basically Rapid Rise shifts in the opposite direction as regular derailleurs. With no cable tension, the RR derailleur rests over the big cog instead of the small cog. The shifters will also shift opposite of regular derailleurs.

RR seems more intuitive to me on the trails. I use the thumb to shift on the downhills and the forefinger to shift on the uphills. My shifter allows multiple shifts with one push of the thumb lever. I find I'm more likely to need to shift quickly to a more difficult gear, rather than an easier gear.

(Check eBay for new derailleurs and compare the prices to online bike vendors, like JensonUSA. Sometimes you can get great deals on brand new stuff.)

Thanks.

one less car
    Quote Originally Posted by Mount Dora Cycles
    long cage, non rapid rise.
    what's wrong with rapid rise? I have the XTR short cage version and have had no probs with it, other than a cable break. woulda been damn inconvenient to not have been stuck on the larger cog.

if anyone's wondering what to get, go RR. one day, and you will, you'll break a cable, quite likely on an up hill, and wish you had a RR
    nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    answering to mark the post

Members who have read this thread: 0