Help! Which bike do I choose- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

Help! Which bike do I choose

I have around $500 to play with and I am looking for a bike. Almost everything around me that is used is around $800+ or damaged and not worth fixing.

I think I have narrowed it down to 3 bikes. Cannondale Trail 8 (local), Motobecane Fantom 27(shipped) or a Gravity HD Pro(shipped). Some of the parts on the Moto and Gravity are better than the Cannondale like full Shimano drive train, hydraulic brakes and lockout forks and the Moto has internal cable routing.

Which would you choose or do you have another option?

Thanks

mtbr member
    if this is your first "real" bike, buy local. mechanical support from your local shop is likely worth more than whatever you saved by purchasing online.

$500 is not going to get you a bike that is going to last very long if you plan to actually ride trails beyond mellow walking paths.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    if this is your first "real" bike, buy local. mechanical support from your local shop is likely worth more than whatever you saved by purchasing online.

$500 is not going to get you a bike that is going to last very long if you plan to actually ride trails beyond mellow walking paths.
    I realize $500 isn't going to get me much but it's all I can afford right now. It's start and it's not a big-box bike. All three are around the same price it's just the components and whether the frames on the online bikes are worth a damn.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This is a good bike for $650 shipped no tax. No current stock because it's popular as a good deal. Get on the email list for the next shipment.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod181494

What it has-
    Slack trail geo and 29 wheels/tires
    Air fork that's usable and Boost tire space 15 x 110 hub
    30mm inner width rims to take wide tires at lower pressure for more traction*** really important to avoid crashing.

Another 100 gets you a bit better drivetrain

These bikes are way better than those from BD.
    And any shop will work on any bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The BD model is to use old standard frame designs with old standard parts in places that most people don't know to look. Hubs ,headsets ,bottom brackets etc. you get what you pay for . Name brand bikes do the same thing to meet price points ,to a lesser degree. The thing with buying online is you don't get to try it to see if it fits ,and fit is the first thing anyone should want . If you don't get that right you are less likely to ride/enjoy the bike.

C8N
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    If you end up sticking with the sport, at that price pt, you will end up either buying another bike or upgrading every component on the said bike. Hence, my suggestion to you is to buy the bike with the best frame that is upgradable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    For your first MTB, a major advantage of buying from a local bike shop is being able to test your fit on different sizes. A low spec'd bike that fits you is better than a higher spec'd bike that doesn't.

All of the major brands will have entry-level MTBs at your price point. If there are multiple shops in your area, call around to see what they have. And ask about what else they include with a new bike purchase (e.g. service, discounts on accessories).

If you do buy online, consider taking it to a shop to have it assembled. There are a few reasons to do this: 1) a properly assembled bike, and it's components, will last longer, 2) bike shops will (or should) perform tasks during the build that most home mechanics don't have the tools to do, like truing wheels, align the derailleur hanger, and adjusting hub bearings, and 3) the mechanics at the shop will be more likely to spot any faults or defects that may exist.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by C8N View Post
    If you end up sticking with the sport, at that price pt, you will end up either buying another bike or upgrading every component on the said bike. Hence, my suggestion to you is to buy the bike with the best frame that is upgradable.
    I would love to buy something at a higher price point but at this time, it's just not possible. It seems like the Cannondale would be a better choice then or do you have another idea?

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrock246 View Post
    It seems like the Cannondale would be a better choice then or do you have another idea?

Thanks again
    The Specialized Pitch or Giant Talon 3 are solid alternatives to the Cannondale (though both a little more expensive).

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by XenoVelo View Post
    The Specialized Pitch or Giant Talon 3 are solid alternatives to the Cannondale (though both a little more expensive).
    You are talking about the Pitch 27.5, correct? It looks to have better specs than some of the Cannondale.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yep. In my opinion, the Shimano hydro brakes on the Pitch are worth the $45 more compared to the Trail 8.

C8N
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrock246 View Post
    I would love to buy something at a higher price point but at this time, it's just not possible. It seems like the Cannondale would be a better choice then or do you have another idea?

Thanks again
    I would look for something with boost spacing and tapered headtube or 41mm

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by C8N View Post
    I would look for something with boost spacing and tapered headtube or 41mm
    +$$$