Helmet issues?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet issues?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Helmet issues?

So I'm new to mtn biking. I've got a Specialized Hardrock and I mainly stick to the pavement for now. I'd really like to get on some trails soon but there aren't many in my area. Hope to make a few trips to Moab in the future. Anyways I'm having issues with finding a helmet that fits my head. I've got a big head and none of them fit or feel comfortable. My question is are helmets a must? Does anyone ride without one? I'd really like to get one but I'm having problems Sorry for the newbie type question.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It's real dumb not to wear one, but it's America, so you gotta make your own decision.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yes, get a helmet. I'm 'new again', as in I used to ride 8-9 years ago, but my first trail out, hit a slightly steep incline, misjudged give in my fork and went tumbling on down. Beat my knee up and thrashed my back good.

Luckily I had a helmet, so my noggin was ok, I blacked out so I either hit really hard and forced the blood out of my head, or hit my head. New bike, new helmet. Now I have a 2nd helmet ( as I don't know If I damaged the first).

You don't need to get a $150 fancy helmet. Just make sure it fits and is comfortable enough that you will wear it. ( I have a big head too, it can be a pain I know).

It is about the only thing I won't buy online as I like to try it on etc.

In short, GET A HELMET. I promise if you stick with riding at ALL it will be used at some point, either from your mistake, or someone else stupidity.

I4NI
    Fox Flux sells Xtra Lg.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

Class Clown
    you got that adamantium skull right?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It's not a matter of if you fall it's when you fall. It only takes one time for something to change on your favorite trail for you to fall. Your brakes fail on a downhill or something freakish like that. Or someone else in a car runs a red light and hits you. A 25 dollar helmet can save your life.

Picture Unrelated
    Where have you looked for a helmet? Any shop should have a reasonable selection including some large sized helmets. It is unlikely you are outside the range of people that helmets fit. You're probably a big boy so make your own decision, but my helmets have saved my life a few times over. And if you go to Moab without a helmet then you should probably give the Darwin Awards council a heads up so they can document it for full credit.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    just get a helmet. i bought one the day i picked my bike up and i wear it everywhere. bike helmets arent like how they were 15 years ago. they have good ventilation and come in all kinds of styles and colors nowdays. i have a bell helmet, forget the na,me but its adjustable and fits my head perfectly and has a removeable visor

Master of Disaster
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You guys have just convinced me to wait to ride my new bike, until I can get a helmet, I have to go back to where I grew up in a 2 weeks though to get one. I would buy one here, but all the ones that fit are in the $70 neighbor hood, back home the bike shop has one for $40 than fits perfect, but I have to wait 2 weeks. But I guess it is supposed to rain here for the next week anyway, and I won't have time until Monday due to finals anyway.

mtbr member
    I just Googled XL Bike Helmet and came up with a bunch of sites in the $40 range. I won't leave the garage with out mine on.

Derptastic
    I went through the same thing. Here's the post I made when trying to find a helmet that fit. I ended up going with the Fox Transition, which is a skate style helmet.

Members who have read this thread: 0