Healing time- Mtbr.com

Thread: Healing time

Jul 2006

Healing time

I'm a born-again mountain biker (rode a lot seven or eight years ago and just recently got back into it.) I went out and bought a 2007 Spec. Hardrock Sport and have been riding at least every other day for the past two weeks. I've been having the time of my life!

Here's the bad part: Yesterday I landed a jump awkwardly and ended up flying over the handle bars. Long story short, I dislocated my right shoulder and now I'm in a sling and on Vicodin. My question is this: How long will it be before it heals? I'm a relatively fast healer, but I've never dealt with this type of injury before. I'm super bummed that I can't hit the trails tomorrow and this weekend, but should I be even more bummed? Will it be weeks before I'm ready to ride again? Months? Any advice\input would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoldfish1129
    I'm a born-again mountain biker (rode a lot seven or eight years ago and just recently got back into it.) I went out and bought a 2007 Spec. Hardrock Sport and have been riding at least every other day for the past two weeks. I've been having the time of my life!

Here's the bad part: Yesterday I landed a jump awkwardly and ended up flying over the handle bars. Long story short, I dislocated my right shoulder and now I'm in a sling and on Vicodin. My question is this: How long will it be before it heals? I'm a relatively fast healer, but I've never dealt with this type of injury before. I'm super bummed that I can't hit the trails tomorrow and this weekend, but should I be even more bummed? Will it be weeks before I'm ready to ride again? Months? Any advice\input would be greatly appreciated.

Visit your doctor regulary

Go to physio

Do not get addicted on the drugs (When I fractured/compressed T3/4 I stopped taking percacet after a few days as I was starting to enjoy them WAY too much).

Follow the advice of your physio/doctor

Shoulder dislocations are a bummer as once it pops out it will be even easier to pop out the next time

Feb 2006
    I can relate to your frustration (had my 5th knee surgery on my right knee April 26th), but give yourself time to heal and FOLLOW YOUR THERAPISTS ORDERS!!!! Can't stress that enough.

The drugs? Eh, if you have an addictive personality, you've got a problem, but otherwise, pain HURTS! I try to avoid it if I can. If you decide to stick with the pills, take them regularly and don't wait until the pain sets in, as it takes forever to get narcotics to kick in like that.

Should you be thankful? Sure. You coulda broken your neck. This is better. It sucks, but beats the hell outta being a vegetable or worse, right?

I'd say take it as easy as you can for a month or two, but definitely get your doctor and therapists' opinions. And don't be stupid or macho or something and go disregarding the orders, you'll only end up needing multiple surgeries to correct the problem (take it from me, I'm an old hand at that).

Best of luck, and do something to keep your spirits up! Keep us informed, huh?

Ross

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoldfish1129

Ah yes! Welcome to the club! I dislocated my right shoulder a number of years back and ended up getting surgery to fix it. I'm getting back into the MTB now and want to prevent any superman incidents as well.

I think its a design flaw (for humans, that is). The way that I look at it is if I lead an active life, I can get hurt. If I don't lead an active life, I'll get type II diabetes, congestive heart failure, or some other sedentary disease.

The hardest part for me was the mentally accepting the fact that my body can be injured.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I fell on my shoulder 3 weeks ago today and I am still not ready to ride the trails. I didn't dislocate it, but I am not sure if I partially tore my rotator cuff, or if I just sprained my deltoid badly. I haven't been to the doctor as I don't have insurance, and can't afford MRIs and all that crap. My shoulder is getting better daily, I am regaining more mobility and strength each day.

I've taken to riding laps in the parking lot of my apt. complex. I am at a point where exercising my shoulder(not vigorously though) is helping, and I am having a hard time NOT riding the trails, although I REALLY want to at least go ride the bunny trail at my local riding spot.

May 2006
    Just depends on you...

I wiped out 06/06/06...did a face plant (well arm plant) and shattered the top of my humerous (the ball in your shoulder joint) I had surgery on 06/23/06 to have a partial joint replacement done. Its now Aug. and I'm almost to the point that I can ride again after 6 weeks of physical therapy (3x a week) frankly though, it won't be a long ride and I still can't even reach above 90 degrees and even then its week (can lift a couple pounds that high). Likely i'll have another few months of physical therapy before I can get my shoulder back to even 90%.

Use the pain killers though make sure after a week or 2 you move over to advil or aleve. Maybe try and get a cortisone shot from the Dr. and I definetly reccomend physical therapy as your dr. reccomends.

ETA: I'll be frank, i'll be lucky to make it a mile on the road..my wind is shot and my arm hurt like an SOB after just riding around the parking lot at the apt. we'll see though..bike went in to get looked over and tuned up (i knocked a wheel out of true and the handlebars were out of whack when i wrecked) when i pick it up this sat.

o0h...and wear a damn helmet...i'm sure i'd be either a vegetable or dead if i didn't have one as I had to walk myself 2 miles out of the damn woods since the cell didn't work. Always ride with someone else if the oppurtunity offers...thoguh you gotta love the trails on a tuesday morning...not a soul out there.

Members who have read this thread: 0