Heading to Whistler next week and planning my trail routes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Heading to Whistler next week and planning my trail routes

A buddy and I are planning to go to Whistler some time next week and have a solid day of learning. We're both decently new to biking (started this summer) and were wondering if anyone has any recommendations on which Whistler trails we should hit up? The intention is for us to learn as much as possible in the day and have a great time hopefully injury free. Any suggestions?

Picture Unrelated
    I think the best way is to buy me a ticket to come with you and I'll show you around

You might get some better information if you provide us a bit more about your riding background. There is a huge window of skill that a biker that's been riding for a year could be in.
    Do you have any downhill biking experience?
    Will you be renting a DH or park bike while you are there or are you bringing your own?
    What kind of riding are you looking to do while you are there? Have you watched the extensive videos posted online?

I suggest taking a look at the trail map and searching trail names on youtube.com so you can get a bit of a feel for what the trails will be like. Remember that green is easy, blue is intermediate and black/double black are the hard ones. Also remember that if you have done DH before, the black diamond rating at one resort may be much different somewhere else.

Best bet is probably to go get a lesson or a tour of the park. Their instructors are there to make sure you don't get in over your head.
    http://www.whistlerbike.com/camps-le...sons/index.htm
    Yeah it's expensive, but it sounds like you're planning a single day; the mountain is huge and if you want to stay safe and learn something then having a professional with you is a really good idea. I'm probably biased since I've been a ski instructor for a decade and understand the value of professional guidance.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryxt
    The intention is for us to learn as much as possible in the day and have a great time hopefully injury free.
    Having a great time and being injury free are usually not mutually exclusive.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    personally i'd hit 'A River Runs Through It' for skill building:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZkQdotK5Mn0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZkQdotK5Mn0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

it'll give y'all all kinds of different things to try in a small area without a huge risk of clobbering the crap outta yourselves....

and don't let the 2 miles of trail fool you....y'all can spend the whole day there falling off stuff...
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the tips guys. As far as my skill level, I've been riding for 2-3 months now and my downhill experience has been just at the local areas such as Burnaby Mountain; for those of you who know that area, I've been doing Gear Jammer, Mel's, Dead Moped and North Road trails. I've done Nicole's a few times, but it still scares me lol.

I took a look at some of the cams from the Whistler site and the blue runs look like my kinda thing, but I wasn't sure if there were ones that are kind of "must see."

As for the video, half the stuff in there seems too difficult for me, but gotta start somewhere, right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    tryxt, how did you make out in Wistler? it sounds like you live in GVRD and you do Nicole's alot. just wondering if you would be interested in getting together? i work close by Nicole's and go out at noon farily often. i prefer no rain. give me a shout if interested.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Whistler was absolutely amazing. I live in Burnaby actually, 10 minutes away from Burnaby Mountain. I haven't been riding much in the winter (actually, planning a first ride on friday) and am still having a lot of trouble with Nicoles. I've only done it twice and haven't fared well on it. I'd be willing to give it another go, but I'd like to get into the groove first and maybe get a few recent rides under my belt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i did Burnaby Mountain last Tuesday before it start pouring, it was great. i did not do Nicole's since it was slightly wet and it's the best to do when its absolutely dry. do you need a partner? try my andreym at live . ca this way I will get your reply faster

Members who have read this thread: 0