Head Light- Mtbr.com

Thread: Head Light

mtbr member

Head Light

Just got back into riding this past summer. Winter is approaching, daylight is fading faster. What are some good bike lamps that won't break the bank, but let you see the trail?
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    $90 Magicshine.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    ^ ditto what [email protected] said
    Click Here for Forum Rules

banned
    Sep 2010

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone. Went to geomangear.com after reading several reviews. Got one coming. Now what else can I spend $ on for my new habit, hmmm.....
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    Night riding in VA ... you will probably need some cold weather gear here pretty soon.

clear lenses for your glasses.....

banned
    Sep 2010

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    don't worry, you will find ways to spend the $ if you want to.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    $90 Magicshine.

Sorry to kinda hijack but, is this enough light for a deeply wooded trail? Obviously the Magicshine 1400 would be better, but does the 900 provide enough light to ride safely?

I am looking at these and don't want to overkill (I know..you can never have too much light). I want enough light to ride and be safe, but not burn the retinas out of the eyes of the local wildlife. I do not want two separate systems. This will be my only light.

Also, handlebar or helmet mount?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase1996
    Sorry to kinda hijack but, is this enough light for a deeply wooded trail? Obviously the Magicshine 1400 would be better, but does the 900 provide enough light to ride safely?

I am looking at these and don't want to overkill (I know..you can never have too much light). I want enough light to ride and be safe, but not burn the retinas out of the eyes of the local wildlife. I do not want two separate systems. This will be my only light.

I think so. One will work, but two is better. With one light, I would put it on my helmet for trail usage.

I have two lights ... one on bars and one on helmet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I wouldn't ride without a second light for a backup. It would suck to have your only light fail while riding.

mtbr member

I rode 14 miles last night on trail with my Magic Shine 900 on medium and didn't have any issues. Some day I may add one to my bars but you can certainly get by with a helmet only.

Definitely helmet over bar. on the bars whenever you steer your light wanders off the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    I wouldn't ride without a second light for a backup. It would suck to have your only light fail while riding.
    I just started night riding... I'm paranoid. Last night I had a spare headlamp, cheap bar light and a flashlight in my camelback.

mtbr member
    Good point.

mtbr member
    I always carry a LED flashlight with me. The only trail I will be riding at night is about 3.7 miles long with road access on three sides. It's not bad to walk out of (trust me, I know) in the event of a light failure.

How much better is the 1400? Worth the $40 extra?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Definitely Helmet mount. When you turn your head, you want to see what is chasing you.

I always carry a LED flashlight with me. The only trail I will be riding at night is about 3.7 miles long with road access on three sides. It's not bad to walk out of (trust me, I know) in the event of a light failure.

How much better is the 1400? Worth the $40 extra?
    YES!

i have a Light and Motion Ultra lithium Ion Arc (helmet) that i raced with...works great...but spent around $900 for light and extra batteries...6 hour battery + 3 hour battery

i picked up the Magicshine combo (900 + 1400) for $215 with a run time of around 3.5 hours on high...and like a million hours on low.

the difference between the 900 and L&M arc is negligible....then add the 1400 bar mount and it much much much much much brighter

if it helps I niteride thru redwoods - it gets dark...and have had zero problems with a single helmet mount (Magicshine or L&M arc)

only thing i don't like about magicshine is the 'bright' lit buttons....it's distracting....

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the great replies. Got my Magicshine yesterday and tested it out last night on the road in front of my house. I'm sure cars would have flashed me when it was on bright, if there had been any around! Super light. I have also ordered a Camelbak Blowfish pack to carry an extra hand flashlight as well as pump, spare tube, and of course, water.
    Woo hoo, let the riding continue.....
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

Members who have read this thread: 0