head angle?- Mtbr.com

Thread: head angle?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

head angle?

so im riding my freeride bike for mainly xc rides, and i noticed the front end would get light on climbs. i assumed that this coupled with my super soft rear suspension, the front end was getting very slack. so i lowered my super t crowns. now it doesnt feel like the front wheel is lifting. but now when i am doing a tech climb and really torquing on the handlebars the front wheel gets squirrely and if it hits a bump i have to fight the front end to go the right line. did i lower the fork too much? otherwise the bike is amazing on the trails

Rabid Lana Fan
    If I were you, I would put the fork back where it was and just deal with the light front end on the climbs.

I suffer on the climbs anyway, wandering front wheel or not, so I would want the most enjoyment possible on the down-side.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

What you've done is....

tightened up the head angle a degree or so. What that does is shift the weight forward a bit and sharpens the handling of the bike. So it responds a bit faster to input at the handle bar. It takes less movement of the bar to make the bike respond. You have two choices, you can either get used to the new geometry and tighter handling, or put it back where it was and compensate for the lighter front end through rider position. Moving your weight further forward when climbing would help. Or there is a thrid choice, buy a nice 5" or 6" travel trail or all mountian bike for your trail riding. But that's a bit spendy! But allot more fun.

The bottom line is, when using a free ride bike for trail riding you're going to have to make compromises. Most freeride bikes are not designed to be stellar climbers. They'll do it no doubt, but they're built to shine on the descents, slacker head tube angles, more travel for big hits, etc. You're currently using a bigger hammer than what you need for the job at hand. Personally I'd go with a dedicated trail bike, and save the FR rig for the bike park and DH runs. But if that's not an option, then I'd put the fork back the way it was and learn to climb it that way. It'll never be the perfect climber, but you'll sure tear it up on the descents.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Members who have read this thread: 0