Hard on Noobs....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Hard on Noobs....

I dont post much on here i just come and see what kind of interesting things ppl have to say about riding . I noticed how hard some of you guys go on Noobs....
    Before writting some slick comment remember you were once a noob and you werent as confident as you are now!!! take some time and answer some of these Noobs questions . As a noob u want to make the best informed decisions about rides, components and riding styles. Most noobs just need to be pointed in the right direction and like to be aware of there options!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Mitch
    I dont post much on here i just come and see what kind of interesting things ppl have to say about riding . I noticed how hard some of you guys go on Noobs....
    Before writting some slick comment remember you were once a noob and you werent as confident as you are now!!! take some time and answer some of these Noobs questions . As a noob u want to make the best informed decisions about rides, components and riding styles. Most noobs just need to be pointed in the right direction and like to be aware of there options!!!
    Example links please?

Some, not all, 'noobs' ask inflammatory questions, or make inflammatory statements as they ask questions. Otheres refuse to put any effort in (ie. search) before asking questions that have been asked a million times before.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm still a noob and haven't noticed anyone being too hard on anyone.

You just have to remember that this is the internet and it is serious business. lol

Most of the time I see people get a little upset is when they ask the same question over and over. There is a search function (after spending 8 years on various forums I have come to know it well) and it can provide a lot of answers if people just take the time and do a little looking on their own.

And if you really let someone hurt your feelings on a forum, you need to grow some thicker skin.
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, sarcasm doesn't show up well on the interwebz. As someone who was misunderstood so often that I had to put a disclaimer in my signature, I'd wager that a lot of the jerky-sounding posts (not all, but a lot) are meant to be sarcastic/humorous.

I personally have always been impressed with the number of sincere welcomes and helpful posts from a lot of the veterans that post in the Beginner's forum. There are some guys on here who will answer the same questions over and over and over again to help out a noob, and each time will do it out of a sincere desire to help new riders better appreciate the sport.

Anyway, if you've ever posted on an internet forum you know what to expect as a noob. Just take yer lumps in good humor, ignore the trolls, and before you know it you won't be a noob anymore.

EDIT: Wow, I'm honored to be posting in the same thread as both former Milwaukee Brewers great Geoff Jenkins and fictional embattled sci-fi hero Andrew "Ender" Wiggin.
    Don't take anything I say seriously.

AZ
    banned
    I think that for the most part noobs get pretty good treatment here , when they bring an attitude things may not go as smoothly , but thats to be expected . Just sayin .

mtbr member
    Huh huh...he said "hard on"...huhhh huh huh...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Actually... I think noobs get great treatment--and information here. As a noob myself, and having raised several questions here, I often got very helpful and detailed responses.

I believe that noobs to any forum must take certain responsiblities: 1) Research, search, and read before asking questions, 2) Provide enough information when asking questions and make sure that they are rational, 3) There will always be jerks, don't start a flame war--appreciate those who do answer the questions, 4) Try to not start new threads on items that were answered just a day ago, AND 5) Don't be a jerk! You're the one asking questions!

I find most everyone here to be very respectful, and patient--some offer very detailed and useful advice.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snovvman
    Actually... I think noobs get great treatment--and information here. As a noob myself, and having raised several questions here, I often got very helpful and detailed responses.

I believe that noobs to any forum must take certain responsiblities: 1) Research, search, and read before asking questions, 2) Provide enough information when asking questions and make sure that they are rational, 3) There will always be jerks, don't start a flame war--appreciate those who do answer the questions, 4) Try to not start new threads on items that were answered just a day ago, AND 5) Don't be a jerk! You're the one asking questions!

I find most everyone here to be very respectful, and patient--some offer very detailed and useful advice.

Cheers.
    Good post here.

I generally try to pitch in and help answer questions wherever possible, but sometimes there's just something that's too stupid.... like the guy who bought an unassembled bike off the internet and didn't know how to put on a wheel....

Actually, we did give him advice (got to an LBS) and he took it. So on second thought, job well done! I'm sure there was a point when I didn't know how to take off a wheel. I was probably five then.
    Feel free to check out my personal website, Greg Heil.com

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbGreg
    Good post here.

I generally try to pitch in and help answer questions wherever possible, but sometimes there's just something that's too stupid.... like the guy who bought an unassembled bike off the internet and didn't know how to put on a wheel....

Actually, we did give him advice (got to an LBS) and he took it. So on second thought, job well done! I'm sure there was a point when I didn't know how to take off a wheel. I was probably five then.

There are no stupid questions , there are however an abundance of stupid answers .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ender.
    I'm still a noob and haven't noticed anyone being too hard on anyone.

You just have to remember that this is the internet and it is serious business. lol

Most of the time I see people get a little upset is when they ask the same question over and over. There is a search function (after spending 8 years on various forums I have come to know it well) and it can provide a lot of answers if people just take the time and do a little looking on their own.

And if you really let someone hurt your feelings on a forum, you need to grow some thicker skin.

Run along and get your mommy to give you a hug.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbGreg
    Good post here.

I thought we are supposed to give different advice all the time and see what strange things we can get the noobs to do?

" as you tighten the wheel make sure you have 85% of your weight on your left leg while playing a tambourine in your left hand, wearing a pair of plaid riding shorts"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus
    Huh huh...he said "hard on"...huhhh huh huh...

depends what they looks like I guess

oh, he said Noobs.....

mtbr member
    My experience here is that the main two questions are:

Which entry level bike? Hardrock, Trek 3700 or Fisher Wahoo?
    Anybody used BikesDirect? OR Motobecane or Specialized ???

That gets old answering over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Search, people. For real.
    :wq

mtbr rememberer
    Most other forums I go to can be pretty nasty. Especially if you are new to vbulletin or any other format and don't search.

I think mtbr is a pretty fair place.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    My experience here is that the main two questions are:

Which entry level bike? Hardrock, Trek 3700 or Fisher Wahoo?
    Anybody used BikesDirect? OR Motobecane or Specialized ???

That gets old answering over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Search, people. For real.
    That can get frustrating after you see a couple of hundred.

SEARCHING or BROWSING to see if the same thing has been discussed before is probably faster too.

mtbr member
    I think there should be a sticky in the Beginners Forum that explains how to do searches to answer the questions that have been answered many times before.

I've found that forum members can be a really supportive, helpful bunch, but can also be hard on posters with attitude, whiners or hypocrites. There is the occasional jerk who thinks it's cool to bash someone for no good reason, but then they get jumped on in turn.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    my favorite is a noob giving another newb flat out wrong advice.....and getting belligerent about it....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

TRANCER
    Oh my bad. I thought I read hard on for boobs
    Ride

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    my favorite is a noob giving another newb flat out wrong advice.....and getting belligerent about it....

It has gotten better lately .

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air
    I think there should be a sticky in the Beginners Forum that explains how to do searches to answer the questions that have been answered many times before.
    then everyone should stop posting in this case. Because every thread I have read has been asked a million times. I personally don't mind it at all.
    Ride

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    It has gotten better lately .
    i know....it's not as exciting around here anymore.....blah....

Click Here for Forum Rules

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    i know....it's not as exciting around here anymore.....blah....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    depends what they looks like I guess

oh, he said Noobs.....

can't... tear... eyes... away...
    Don't take anything I say seriously.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle7775
    EDIT: Wow, I'm honored to be posting in the same thread as both former Milwaukee Brewers great Geoff Jenkins and fictional embattled sci-fi hero Andrew "Ender" Wiggin.
    Yeah well you know... when I'm not saving the planet playing video games, I like to ride my bike. lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Run along and get your mommy to give you a hug.

Yesssa masta... righta away masta.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    There are no stupid questions , there are however an abundance of stupid answers .
    I think this is the root of hostility. The noob who posted the question is usually treated well, but then there's a deluge of information that is often contradictory or wrong. So everyone gets all heated and while the OP isn't usually mistreated, they certainly aren't getting any help.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mnoutain bkie rdier
    shut up noob.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    shut up noob.
    [insert long flaming rant about how I'm not a noob here]
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by ender.
    \thread
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    Oh my bad. I thought I read hard on for boobs
    LMAO

Some are just looking for trouble though for example this spandex police here
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=611122

BTW, if you are putting up sticky please include "Pull the Trigger" too

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Isn't the reason for the forum to ask questions and get responses from other bikers. This is a social thing for us to talk to each other through. It's the beginners forum right and we are noobs just people who like to ride bikes.

T.W.O.
    Yes, and no one gives noob a hard time. That's taken from noobs from this thread alone. The OP is mistaken.

Members who have read this thread: 0