Handle bar width for 12 year old- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Handle bar width for 12 year old

Hi! Well, my son has started to ride some more trails with his friend so I've decided to give him my bike which is newer than his (better front shocks) and makes me feel that he is safer.

I decided to take his bike, which is still a good bike and a good bike for me.

Both bikes are the same frame size.

He is about 175 cm tall and had 660mm handle bar width on his old bike. The bike his riding now has 740mm handle bars.

The 660mm feels narrow to me now that I am riding his bike.

My question is: For now does it make sense just changing the handle bars from from one bike to the other or should I get him used to a wider bar and just get a new bar for me? ... or just change switch the bars and get wider bars when he gets older/taller.

I asked him and he said that the 740mm bars were a bit wide for him.

THanks!

Andy

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by aberle99 View Post
    Hi! Well, my son has started to ride some more trails with his friend so I've decided to give him my bike which is newer than his (better front shocks) and makes me feel that he is safer.
    I wouldn't say that having a better fork on a bike makes it safer. People will crash regardless of the fork. Being smart on the trails is a safer bet. If you have any mountain bike skills courses in your area, you should sign him up.

My question is: For now does it make sense just changing the handle bars from from one bike to the other or should I get him used to a wider bar and just get a new bar for me? ... or just change switch the bars and get wider bars when he gets older/taller.

I asked him and he said that the 740mm bars were a bit wide for him.

THanks!

Andy
    Doesn't hurt to swap the bars around if 660mm is a better fit for him. You can cut down the 740mm bar to 720 or maybe 700mm. Most bars do come with marks under the grips to let you know how short you can cut them. I'm assuming he is young so he will grow quite a bit. Eventually he will need a wider handlebar.
    Salsa Timberjack | Salsa Cutthroat | Cannondale Synapse Neo