mtbr member

Guide for biking to Tibet

I am currently living in Chengdu China and thinking about biking to the capital of Tibet, Lhasa.

Was wondering if anyone had some helpful links for me because I am just starting to plan this

trip for the summer. Any guides or stories will be great!

Thanks

Terrain Sculptor
    Hmmm... my sister guides all over China & Tibet, and she rides... AND she's in Tibet now. I sent her a link to this thread. I'll see what she says.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Biking to Tibet

Hi

My little bro sent me the link to your question. I'm in Lhasa right now (and on our way to Chengdu tomorrow!) I can tell you that because of the upcoming congress --appointment of the new leader that security is really tight getting into Tibet. We had no idea until 2 days before if our permission would be upheld. I can also tell you that a great number of other groups were denied permission.

Typically that means that independent travel is severely restricted. Go have a look at the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum. Posters over there are generally independent travellers and often in the country at the time. If your leaving date is after October, you might find things loosen up a bit. It'll be getting a little nippy by then.

Hope this helps a bit. Safe journey!
    cheers!
    Kit

Members who have read this thread: 0