grip shift- Mtbr.com

Thread: grip shift

aka DummyDiva

New question here. grip shift

Is there Grip Shift for Shimano SLX?

All fat, all the time.
    Sram attack grip shifters are compatable with shimano.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark
    Sram attack grip shifters are compatable with shimano.
    For 8 or 9 speed...SRAM does not make a 10 speed grip shifter

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    For 8 or 9 speed...SRAM does not make a 10 speed grip shifter
    Others do

While SRAM is mum on whether they’ll ever introduce a twist shifter for the 2×10 drivetrains, and we’re guessing Shimano is not really working on it, we just (finally) found some that were designed specifically for the new breed of 10 speed mountain bike drivetrains.

DK-Lites, the Asian distributor for them, sent over some images of the Recon CX-10 (SRAM) and SXTR (Shimano Dynasys) 10 speed twist shifters. If you’re interested, you can contact DK-Lite’s Doddy on their facebook page. Price is $45 plus $15.90 shipping to the U.S. He says he rides both and they work smoothly, but we’re hoping to get our own set in here for review. More pics and details after the break
    from here
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi
    Others do

from here
    Cable changes and performance seem to be on par with early grip shift models...and that is not a good thing

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Actually, sport, that is more than a good thing. It is a great thing. As I recall, in the early to mid 90's, when GripShift took a big (not medium, not small) bite out of Shimano, the revenue from GripShift--OEM spec, etc., allowed them to invest their funds into innovative product AND into collecting other companies, including Avid, Truvativ, RockShox, etc. So, please, while it might not be quite on part with 'good' shifting for today--if it is a modern equivocation relative to what Sram put out in the 90's, it is very, very good. Christ, I wish people would think before they spout off with their nonsense.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by elhefedemefe View Post
    Actually, sport, that is more than a good thing. It is a great thing. As I recall, in the early to mid 90's, when GripShift took a big (not medium, not small) bite out of Shimano, the revenue from GripShift--OEM spec, etc., allowed them to invest their funds into innovative product AND into collecting other companies, including Avid, Truvativ, RockShox, etc. So, please, while it might not be quite on part with 'good' shifting for today--if it is a modern equivocation relative to what Sram put out in the 90's, it is very, very good. Christ, I wish people would think before they spout off with their nonsense.
    Well BUDDY...I worked on Grip Shift during the mid to late 90's and they sucked for shifting with Shimano dérailleurs. So SRAM made band aid products like the Bass Worm using surgical tubing just to get them to work properly. They got OEM spec because they were cheap, this was especially true in 1996 when Shimano raised their prices 20% over 1995. On top of that, there shifters required a near complete disassembly to simply replace a cable (which had to be done frequently as a contaminated cable would adversely affect shifting quickly).

Yea, I was working in the trenches during this time, Grip Shift was not that popular and upgrading to rapid fire on new bikes was probably the most common new bike upgrade done. SRAM WAS NOT taking a bite out of Shimano at this time, not even close.

SRAM did one thing right back in the late 90's...they acquired Sachs bicycle components. This is what financed all their further development and allowed them to acquire further component manufacturers. They went from nothing to dominating the European market with the very popular (in Europe) internal gear hubs. At the time Shimano had almost no market share there. The acquisition also got them the very popular Sachs Sedis chains which did take a huge bite out of Shimano. And lastly, they acquired Sachs twist shifters which were superior in every way to Grip Shift at the time and included such technology as the Spool Release System.

So sorry, but your way off the mark...the old Grip Shift technology is garbage. If it was good SRAM wouldn't have abandoned it YEARS AGO.
    Last edited by mtnbiker72; 09-09-2011 at 08:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Is there such a thing as a 'Bike Nerd'?...damn
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    grip shift choke

mtbr member
    mtnbiker72 are the current Sram grip shifts basically the old Sachs twist shifters?

Also fwiw Sram is soon releasing 10 speed grip shifters. http://forums.mtbr.com/sram/wanted-1...-652581-7.html

Probably drunk right now

Derailing the thread....

As 72 pointed out, you have your facts a little wrong. If I can offer a little bit of unsolicited advice: This is the beginner's forum. Engaging in esoteric conversations about component history rarely apply to the OP. There are quite a few very experienced cyclists in here who are genuinely trying to help new riders. If that's you, welcome.

I found your last sentence a little acerbic and ironic.

Ken
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    1. BUDDY... I had to laugh. Did you ever see Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure? Because you using the word 'Buddy'... really reminds me of the way they portrayed Napoleon saying buddy... kind of funny.

2. They acquired Sachs with a bit more than their good looks, sport. It came (at least in part) from capital earned from selling cheap, useful alternative product to Shimano (that worked). No, Shimano didn't just 'raise their prices.' If they had, I would have opted for XTR when it was re- 1995 (I think) as M900. The yen's value exploded, due in no small part to a bad Japanese economy. Please go beyond Wikipedia for your responses, eh?

3. Yours (and mine, really) are opinions. You can't say whether or not you are more right than me. And I personally think that early, middle, late, and current GripShift technology worked/works just fine. I had it on a 1992 Cannondale, and I have it on my current Cannondale. It works, and it works really well. You might have had your head too deep in the trenches (or somewhere similar) to notice that (in my neck of the woods) GripShift was very, very popular, and provided broke-assed highschool kids (such as myself) a means of acquiring working or workable technology at a relatively low price. And no, upgrading to RapidFire was not 'probably' the most common new bike upgrade done. Upgrading to a Judy was. And don't take my word for it. Take a look at RockShox's annual report circa 1994, 1995, and 1996. Proof's in the pudding, BUDDY.

4. Your employer--then or now--is irrelevant.

5. Companies 'abandon' working technology all the time, often for issues unrelated to performance. Like, you know, whether or not people will buy it. Initially--and this is the summation of my entire argument--the stuff worked, and people bought it. In droves, people bought it. 8 tracks worked well. So did cassette tapes. So did CD's. So did DVD's. Better technology came out, and they were abandoned. So your argument about GripShift sucking--which, again, is still your opinion--is not supportable as a reason for Sram's abandoning it, and it simply does not follow that they would have kept it if it were good. Their decision to de-emphasize GripShift wasn't dictated only by performance. It was because the market decided they'd peaked and they moved on.

6. "Dominating Europe via internal hubs?" Huh? That isn't even a strong mis-reading. I mean, sure, they had presence there, but... I fail to see how, and note that you've again provided no references for what appears to be (yet another) unsubstantiated opinion. Ever heard of Sturmey-Archer?

7. Acerbic? Me? Yeah--when "experts" pass themselves off as such by delving out opinions where none are needed or warranted. We've got enough trouble with the politicians sans education without needing more nonsense in an otherwise decent forum.

8. Gore cables were damn near an offshoot of the GripShift revolution. And it was a revolution. Many (not all) people breathed a big sigh of relief when they were able to finally purchase a non-Japanese bike component. I'm not saying this was right, but I am saying it is true.

9. Saying the technology is garbage... I mean, yeah, but what a non-starter. I mean, now, sure it is, compared to today's technology. But, I mean, how many things from 15-20 years ago, when compared to today's technology aren't garbage? Weak point, if a point at all, you know?

10. I'm certain it doesn't matter much to you, but, please, really think about my points before you race to your computer to respond, ok? I mean, if you worked back then, you ought to at least remember it--it wasn't that long ago. I'd really prefer you do something other than raise a strawman here. Dude said this was a forum designed to help beginners... I assume he means as opposed to misleading them with misinformation, right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Dude said this was a forum designed to help beginners... I assume he means as opposed to misleading them with misinformation, right?
    You have been a member since 2008 with 6 posts, and 2 of those posts are completely arrogant and worthless and not helpful at all for anyone. Good job, way to contribute SPORT! I would love to see your other 4! The best part is that you revived a 4 month old thread to share your nuggets of wisdom with us. I think you need to tone it down and actually try to contribute in a meaningful way rather than try to build up your own ego.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Have you read the original post I responded to here?

...and exactly where is the 'arrogance' you refer to? Where am I 'arrogant'? If you disagree with me, that's one thing, but please, if you're going to accuse, be precise so that I might respond. I don't feel that I was arrogant at all. Passionate, and a little upset maybe, but not arrogant.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I got an arrogant vibe in posts 6, 12, and 14.

And I remember early grip shifters too. Differently from you, apparently.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CityWok View Post
    grip shift choke
    I agree. Upgraded my old Cannondal KillerV500 from grip shift to Shimano Deore XT trigger shifters and LOVE IT!
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

Class Clown
    take a chill pill brah

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have had Sachs grip shift that came on a Cannondale I bought in 1999 and had a few different SRAM X.0 and even a set of SRAM X.7 twist shifters. I liked all of them and would still use them if you didn't have to mount the brake levers inward of the shifter.

I just switched my main bike to triggers about a year ago to get my brake levers further out so I can hang onto the outer ends of my bars while descending. That is the only thing triggers do for me that I prefer over gripshift (and I have tried several types of trigger/rapidfire shifters over the years).

To each their own and YMMV.

mtbr member
    Not sure I agree with MTBR72's take on sram history, nor performance. For that, I positive repped the guy that everyone attacked. I know I am a noob, but I dont care. Gripshift circa 1995-2011 absolutely rules imo. I would switch from XTR to X0 or even X9 every day of the week. I'm no newbie either....I raced sport class in 1996 with a set of x-ray shifters with all Shimano XT............ No problems.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Well, if you were attempting to avoid being specific, mission accomplished.... besides, who gives a ____ if I'm arrogant? I'm more concerned with being correct...

...and that said, I think somewhere some of us lost sight of the original disagreement, and as such, I'll restate: my problem isn't whether or not (yawn) people use this shifter/saddle/bike/whatever. It's all made in China, and it really is all junk anyways. Even Santa Cruz and Cannondale are now manufactured in China. I ride them, so do you, and the similarities between us probably outweight the differences. Who cares.

My concern was with the fact that someone had the audacity to say that Gripshift--late 80's, early-to-mid 90's gripshift--was all that bad. My argument (and I don’t think I'm wrong in assessing either my argument, or my summation of said argument) is that it simply couldn’t have been all that bad for that many people in light of the fact that it allowed Sram to advance to the point of purchasing Sachs, and subsequently everybody else. My other concern? It was reflected in the bleeding hemorrhoids that anybody here gets, coupled with the gang-of-bully mentality when someone voices something that differs from their opinion. I mean, the way you guys reacted when I disagreed with one overly-simplistic statement? And the best you can do: "You're being arrogant..." Really?

Maybe you're confusing sarcasm for such, which is understandable, albeit incorrect. Attack me all you want--I frankly don't care, it seems to happen all the time in this silly waste of time forum we all enjoy--but you need to admit, if original GripShift 'sucked donkey balls' it wouldn't have allowed Sram to continue, and thrive, as it has. In short, it was an essential, if not the essential component that allowed Sram to become what it is, and so it couldn't have been all that bad for that many people. This in itself is altogether to "Ford vs. GM vs. Dodge" for me--I would hope I don't have time for this--but man, where did the need to jump in the pit and throw elbows come from? Christ, I wish people would think before they start spitting bile at each other...

...BUD-DEE...

Former Bike Wrench
    Eight posts and you do nothing but attack others with negative posts...there is a name for that

TROLL

Go Troll on PinkBike

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Wow. That is clever, with the neat little graphic and everything... and the way you manage to impugn pink bike too... nice. Did you want to offer anything other than hurt feelings...?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Stop baiting each other & put each other on your ignore list.

Thanks,
    CHUM
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I use SRAM MRX gripshift fitted with Acera RD and SIS FD. It works fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i love them

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

GripShift

SRAM has just announced it is to bring back Grip Shift.

Of course, I might be falling on my own sword but here's the link if you don't believe it.

SRAM Grip Shift is back from the past » Bike Magic[/url]

Jaroslav Kulhavy was spotted riding SRAM’s new 10-speed BlackBox Grip Shift twist shifters at the XC World Championships in Champéry, Switzerland.

The come back of Grip Shift nicely marks SRAM’s 25th anniversary, since the company launched in 1987 with the first DB1 shifter. Grip Shift was hugely popular for a while, with millions of shifters sold, but it soon faded out of fashion.

Now, with components getting lighter and the rise of 2×10 (and 1×10) drivetrains, SRAM has decided it’s the right time to reintroduce Grip Shift.

Kulhavy has long been a fan of twist shifters. BlackBox Program Manager Jon Cancellier and Kulhavy decided Worlds was the perfect opportunity to switch from trigger to twist shifters. “Kulhavy’s victory at Worlds validated the developmentof the BlackBox Grip Shift,” Cancellier said.“We’re stoked to get it into production soon.”

This comes from bikemagic.com if you need to validate it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ...and in case you wanted to see...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0