Greetings from Louisiana- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Greetings from Louisiana

First off hello and thanks for allowing me to join.
    Total noob, babe in the woods, dont even have a bike yet.
    Little history, just had a scare with my heart but thankfully nothing was found wrong other than Im a bit over weight and sugar level a bit high.
    Doc said exercise/walk etc. Well, that got me here, Id rather ride a bike and Id rather be in the woods or some type of trail riding,street isnt for me.
    So like the other noobs, I begin my researching. Lbs sells Trek and Releigh but I havent even been there yet.
    I want a ht. But, I want something thats gonna be upgradable and durable.
    I want good disc brakes and hardware. My pocketbook is about 6 to 700 bucks
    I already know, I will work on it myself and learn, just the way I am. I work on my cars,truck, boat. Just a do it yourselfer... but I also know, for now, I will have a learning experience. So for now, I want a bike shop to get me going.
    I guess, I want front shocks, only experience can help out there. I want non clipon type pedals for now.
    Also, just curious, besides single speed, what is the least amount of gears you can do on a bike??? Is there like a 5 speed set up???
    Really, have many questions, but for now I want a good bike that will be durable and worth upgrading in the future.
    Thanks,
    John

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    8 or 9 speeds on the rear are typical. What part of La you in? I'm your neighbor in MS, there's some decent clubs that I know of around NOLA and Baton Rouge, I've raced against some of the guys. Checkout msmtb.org's forum if you're near MS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    There are quite a few hardtail bikes in the 600-700 range that meet your requirements. Here's a list to get you started (some are slightly over $700 MSRP):

Fezzari Kings Peak
    Felt Q620
    Scott Aspect 55
    Raleigh Talus 8.0
    Scott Aspect 45
    GF Wahoo Disc
    Trek 4500
    Mongoose Tyax Elite
    Kona Blast
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc
    GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc
    DiamondBack Response Comp
    Marin Bobcat Trail
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc

Also, shop around (online and at LBS's) for 2009 models. They usually have the same components as the 2010 models but are marked way down.

Also, if you don't mind buying sight unseen, there are three more bike manufacturers to add to your list: Motobecane (through bikesdirect.com), Windsor (through bikesdirect.com), and Forge (through Target). They are all very decent bikes/frames with better components than anything you'll get at your LBS (for the same money).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks Krue and TSMosher. Krue I live up north, right out of Monroe.
    Another question popped in my mind. What do you guys think about a 29er as a first bike??? Like I said, I will be riding trails. I will be riding in flat terrain and hilly terrain, no mountains here but Arkansas isnt that far off.
    Thanks,
    John

mtbr member
    **** louisiana
    2009 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thank you Brujo for that totally useless post!
    Heres a link for the race schedule, there's three left in LA. www.scrcs.net/schedule.htm

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks Krue. What do you ride? Do you know of anyone riding 29ers?
    Thanks,
    John

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Finding a good 29er for that budget might be tough unless you're willing to buy online (www.bikesdirect.com). The only downside, of course, is not being able to ride the bike before you buy it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the link, tsmosher. Im not stuck on that budget and can expand a bit. Just want to get a good first bike and after much reading, like what Ive read about the 29ers after that Im lost. Guess I want a good frame that I can upgrade with better components down the road somewhere. Know I will need a helmet,gloves, riding shorts, or something padded.
    Oh and a hardtail.
    Thanks again man,
    John

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hey possum. Funny thing, me and my wife just got into mountain biking a well. Funny part is I live in winnsboro! About 30 minutes from Monroe. I bought a Gary fisher wahoo an love it. I just bought it yesterday an made a 15 mile ride as soon as I left the bike shop. I'm working in Memohis right now and hit a nice trail here. If you wanto Jen I get home, in 2 or 3 weeks we can get together and try and make a ride. I must say me and my wife are Total newbs!!!! And kinda out of shape and short winded as well! They are supposed to have a super nice trail in Ruston. They also have on at claiborne lake and caney lake.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Heya Slickcdb2000. Thanks for the invitation but havent a bike yet,lol. I will be getting one, just learning my way around atm. Wish my wife took an interest in something like this, she has a Wal Mart cruiser that collects dust,lol. Lets keep in touch so maybe down the rode we can hook up.
    Thanks,
    John

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Add me on facebook of you have one. Curtis beavers

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey, i live in New Orleans and am trying to sell a 2007 Gary Fish Tassa Jara Mt. Bike, just thought you might be interested. You can find the specs for it at bikepedia.com.

Members who have read this thread: 0