got a new trek 4 series- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

got a new trek 4 series

I got my first real mtb, a trek 4 series and I love it so far. i ride mostly pavement with the kids, but its awesome. Any suggestion on up grades? I got a computer for it, just have to put it on. got extra tube, patches, water bottle, seat bag, pump. I really like it so far. any recommendations on tires? go tubeless or not worth it for me? thanks.

Dirt Abuser
    Ride on dirt and see how it performs...
    "Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

YOU SCRATHED MY BIKE!!!!
    go ride it first but get a helmet! i just got a trek 4300 and i love it has performed really well for me in the trails so get it dirty and have fun!
    2010 Trek 4300
    WTB VelociRaptors

mtbr member
    +1 on the helmet...

Granny Gear Guru
    +300 on the helmet
    10 Specialized Hardrock
    Looking for a new bike...... selling one?

Fat-tired Roadie
    If you don't have a helmet, get one.

Other than that... the "standard" upgrades that make a big difference for their cost are tires for the terrain you ride, a stem to make your riding position work, a saddle if the stock one doesn't work for you, and pedals.

Some people swear by tubeless tires. The big advantages are that with no tube to pinch-flat, lower air pressures become acceptable and there's no rolling resistance added by friction between the tube and tire. If you're riding pavement, though, the first doesn't really apply and the second is going to be a much smaller difference. If you aren't riding any dirt, just get a set of slicks and call it good. Or don't - you probably want to detune yourself a little bit to ride with your kids, depending on how old they are.

The biggest upgrade of all is the engine.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Don't worry about upgrades yet. Start riding it in the dirt, and things which need upgrading will make themselves apparent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Don't worry about upgrades yet. Start riding it in the dirt, and things which need upgrading will make themselves apparent.
    ^This mostly. However if you're riding any kind of rough trails you'll eventually want to upgrade the front suspension. Not right away. Just ride and have fun and make sure you're going to stick with it before investing too much more money.

Members who have read this thread: 0