got a couple questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

got a couple questions

I have picked A few bikes out in my price.range,but there not as high end components as I would like. I have done alot of research ongood.components and since there are no good used bikes locally, would buying just A frame and building my bike be a better idea

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mxracer394 View Post
    I have picked A few bikes out in my price.range,but there not as high end components as I would like. I have done alot of research ongood.components and since there are no good used bikes locally, would buying just A frame and building my bike be a better idea
    Building from frame up is a lot of fun, but is a poor way to save money.

mtbr member
    You're more than likely going to spend more building your own bike up than buying one with the spec that you want.
    If you do go that route (piecing together yourself), check out BikerBob on MTBR classifieds. He is a first rate seller and has some great deals on gruppos and parts.

mtbr member
    I think the right answer has already been given twice, but without explaining why, so let me add that, in case it might be necessary: Manufacturers purchase the components they put on the completed bikes they sell in stores at bulk quantities, and therefore at deep discounts. You, on the other hand, will be buying each of those same components at full retail price (with the exception of online bargains, etc., but even those would probably come to higher than the wholesale rates bike companies pay for those). The difference will not be minor...
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    Thats the problem with being in the 'entry level' phase. Im sure all of us w/ a budget have parts on our bikes we dont necessarily like. If you price out everything youre gonna come a few components short of a full bike. Bike manufacturers have alot of buying power.

I guess what Im trying to say is $1000 of complete bike will have better components than $1000 of custom build. I guess thats what the other posts said so Im gonna shut up now. Good luck and post some pics once youre done.
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ^^^what they said.

Suggestion: By the bike you can afford with the best components you can afford. Then use it/them until they need to be replaced. Replace with upgrades. This will allow you to get riding now, not break the bank and slowly work toward the bike with the components you want.

Members who have read this thread: 0