Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Lmao, not that big lol but that is how some people's perception is lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repth View Post
    I'm not sure, but you seem to be a prime example of having neither. Who says this guy is going to go blaring his music through the woods with other riders around? Nobody. That's certainly not what I use mine for. If the trails are vacant, or I'm riding on the street, I play music out loud so I can hear my surroundings. These are both environments where nobody is bothered. Nearly every person who came in here to **** on this thread did so under the assumption that OP would be blaring music around other riders. That is not the only use of one of these speakers.

And get those squeaky brakes fixed! And while you're at it, no talking, or breathing loudly! SOME of us are trying to enjoy nature, damnit!

Oh, and while you're at it, leave your damn bike at home! We're all here for the quiet nature experience and the sound of bike riders just ruins that!
    Ok, so you're a righteous guy who happens to live in a desolate area. You're b!tchen! Seems a little strange that you're so defensive of speaker use on trails that you claim to be vacant where no one is bothered... as my post wouldn't apply to you. OR does it? Perhaps you can set me straight without extreme (idiotic) suggestions like leaving my bike at home?

My experience ranges from hikers playing Mexican polka music at a level that carries long distances (at it's worst when I HIKE) to clownhillers with every pad available strapped to them pushing up listening to speed metal or gangsta rap as if they're taking bong rips in their moms basement. This type of experience is frequent in my neighborhood, although not exclusive to it. All these trail users have the right to be there without question, so...

Do they have the right to spread their noise pollution when the majority use trails to escape this?

Given your posts I'm pretty sure I know your response so don't bother... I will not be baited into a retard fight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Yeah! NO MORE NOISE! That goes for all of you running Hope hubs, too!

I find squealing brakes really annoying.
    Especially when they are mine.

Hoping for Endless Summer
    This seems to be a new thing. I've seen it quite a bit the past few months both mountain biking and hiking. It's awful when hiking in the wilderness because that's what we try to get away from. It was a group of about 30 teenagers playing One Direction.

I've never seen a mountain biker do it in the forest, only at the bike park and it's usually reggae. I don't really mind it there, kinda seems to fit at least where I live.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Ok, so you're a righteous guy who happens to live in a desolate area. You're b!tchen! Seems a little strange that you're so defensive of speaker use on trails that you claim to be vacant where no one is bothered... as my post wouldn't apply to you. OR does it? Perhaps you can set me straight without extreme (idiotic) suggestions like leaving my bike at home?

My experience ranges from hikers playing Mexican polka music at a level that carries long distances (at it's worst when I HIKE) to clownhillers with every pad available strapped to them pushing up listening to speed metal or gangsta rap as if they're taking bong rips in their moms basement. This type of experience is frequent in my neighborhood, although not exclusive to it. All these trail users have the right to be there without question, so...

Do they have the right to spread their noise pollution when the majority use trails to escape this?

Given your posts I'm pretty sure I know your response so don't bother... I will not be baited into a retard fight.

Of course they should not be spreading their "noise pollution" like that--it's grossly inconsiderate to do such a thing. Is that the response you were expecting? Do you disagree with that response?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Only place I have done this is at Burning Man. It is certainly appropriate there.

Tip: Make sure the wiring is very well secured. Had a cable get sucked into the rear derailleur.

Another reason not to take a sound system on the trail is that good bass = heavy

mtbr member
    Yes i am bumping an old thread here, as i was looking for info about speakers. While out on a ride two days ago i came across 3 out of 4 riders with small portable speakers, and being the sheep that i am, wanted to look into it myself. With the people i encountered i couldn't hear their music until about 10 feet away, and then couldn't make it out until passing them. Led Zeppelin from one, Bon Jovi from another, and some electro stuff from the third. As i continued to ride I thought to myself about how many people would get all worked up by these unremarkable encounters. It had no impact on my ride, and the people riding by said hello and seemed happy (which is more important to me i guess). Who cares. Meanwhile, you can hear the highway at any point in these woods because the park straddles one. Hearing a highway is pretty common occurrence in most of the trails around me (MA/NH/ME).

If people are playing music on some device where they took no effort to limit the sound escaping, then i can see people getting agitated. If someone has a directional speaker that you can't hear other than 10' away, and this really grinds your gears, you have the problem in my opinion. I'm all about caring about negatively impacting others; but seriously, people can handle 5 seconds of second hand music on a trail. Try focus on enjoying the outdoors in your way. You can get back to basking in the sounds of highways and airplanes right after the rider passes.

I ended up buying the Outdoor Tech Buckshot 2.0 for $37 on Amazon. Not a hefty investment for this experiment. I tend to listen to music at all times possible with exception to skiing and riding. I started listening to music when solo skiing, and will see if I like it on a bike. I never wanted to use headphones to block out nature or someone riding up behind me; but these little directional speakers seem pretty cool and allow you to hear around you as well.

mtbr member
    Really the only time a speaker is acceptable, is when your drag racing your gravel bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Daholla77 View Post
    I was wondering could anybody recommend a portable speaker that I could attach to my bike. i was looking at boombastic and skullcandy. Thank you
    The one you DON’T bring along on a bike ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    There's not a technical solution to every personal conflict, but there is to this one: bone conduction. Doesn't cover your ears, but also not audible to others. Keep you tunes to yourself. Wired & Bluetooth varieties.
    https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...KbLBoC-ejw_wcB
    I dug this thread out of the graveyard a few months ago. I wanted to follow up with some advice for anyone else who comes across this thread curious about speakers. I canceled my order on a little speaker and instead followed through with butronix advice of looking into bone conductive headphones. I didn't even know this technology existed before and they are the perfect solution for people that want to listen to music, be aware of your surroundings, and not tick off all these curmudgeons. I bought the Aftershokz latest set which ran about $150 but there are much cheaper ones out there. I can't speak for other headphones but the ones i got are great.

burtonix suggestion kind of got buried in a sea of debate, so i just want to point this option out to people. That is all. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    If you feel the desire to scream or sing while hucking a jump, get after it. But speakers of any kind whilst riding a bike (or even trail running for that matter) are NOT approved...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Since this thread has been brought back, it may be helpful to think ahead, beyond speakers, and consider something like a Tablet holder like below:

https://kylesbikes.com/minoura-tph-1...hoCWagQAvD_BwE

One could also modify the bike frame to add an exterior skin, or sound proof bubble? You know, good fences make good neighbors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian View Post
    ... they are the perfect solution for people that want to listen to music, be aware of your surroundings, and not tick off all these curmudgeons. ...
    So everyone else on the trail without music playing is a curmudgeon?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    So everyone else on the trail without music playing is a curmudgeon?
    Hell no. Just people that get too worked up about it and act like it is a big deal. Just enjoy yourselves.

I'm not even sure how much I like it yet. I do find myself getting surprised by other riders more.

Wow. There are so many crabby dudes in this thread, it is hilarious. "Oh I have to hear 5 seconds of someone else's music, my day is ruined."

For the record, I am totally opposed to someone bringing a boom box to the beach and subjecting others to their music. But this is literally 5-10 seconds. I don't even have nor have I ever even had a speaker on a ride, so I'm not being self serving here.

since 4/10/2009
    Hell no. Just people that get too worked up about it and act like it is a big deal.
    The vast majority of my negative trail encounters have involved someone with music. And not because "I have to hear 5 seconds of someone else's music", either. It's because THEY can't hear anything else. Even people with speakers.

Yes, other people's music is annoying, but it's far from the worst part of listening to music on the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    The vast majority of my negative trail encounters have involved someone with music. And not because "I have to hear 5 seconds of someone else's music", either. It's because THEY can't hear anything else. Even people with speakers.

Yes, other people's music is annoying, but it's far from the worst part of listening to music on the trail.
    That's a fair point. Headphones would be the bigger problem there though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    That's a fair point. Headphones would be the bigger problem there though.

Not always. Speakers cause their own problems. And that is usually because people with speakers think they hear more than they actually do.

Here, diagonally!
    "Your music sucks"

Jayem

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I don't bring a speaker on MTB rides, but have ridden a couple times with groups where someone has one. Can't say it bothered me.

I definitely enjoy having tunes going at the our pumptrack, specially when working on it, which I do often while people ride. MTB trail rolls right by it and so far everyone has survived.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    "Your music sucks"

Jayem
    "So does yours"

Also Jayem

Bikesexual
    I've also been on rides where others have music, the problem was, they all had different tunes going on, not pleasant. Kind of annoying to be honest.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Light weight and no cables to get snagged on. I can hear my music and the outside world without anyone else hearing it. Win Win!
    good portable speaker.-helmet.jpg
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Light weight and no cables to get snagged on. I can hear my music and the outside world without anyone else hearing it. Win Win!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helmet.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	1209023
    Cool set up. I thought about doing something like that too. I ended up just going the Bluetooth route though.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The conductive headphones don't cover or go inside your ear so they breath a lot better for a workout as well. Because you can still hear the environment they are useless when using a gas mower.

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    "So does yours"

Also Jayem
    Yup. Thus the relevance of that quote.

Cycologist
    I rode today. Met one guy with a speaker going. And when I stopped to rest, I noticed a guy ride by wearing earbuds. Too bad, he didn't hear the barred owl calling I heard a couple of minutes before he came by, despite the fact that he came from the direction the hooting came from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I dug this thread out of the graveyard a few months ago. I wanted to follow up with some advice for anyone else who comes across this thread curious about speakers. I canceled my order on a little speaker and instead followed through with butronix advice of looking into bone conductive headphones. I didn't even know this technology existed before and they are the perfect solution for people that want to listen to music, be aware of your surroundings, and not tick off all these curmudgeons. I bought the Aftershokz latest set which ran about $150 but there are much cheaper ones out there. I can't speak for other headphones but the ones i got are great.

burtonix suggestion kind of got buried in a sea of debate, so i just want to point this option out to people. That is all. Thanks.
    Came across the same brand after a friend who follows tech way too closely mentioned them to me. I refused to be the assclown on trail with a speaker, and between safety issues of hearing other trail users, and hearing wildlife (we have a lot of the type that will bite/try to kill you if you ignore their little tail-maracas) earbuds were a solid no-go.

https://aftershokz.com/collections/w...trekz-titanium

Kinda wanna try the newer Air model to see if fitment and skull-contact might be improved (between helmet straps and sunglasses, they can sometimes get nudged in a way that reduces the audio) but they've been rock solid otherwise, and with me on pretty much every ride. Wouldn't have it any other way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I rode today. Met one guy with a speaker going. And when I stopped to rest, I noticed a guy ride by wearing earbuds. Too bad, he didn't hear the barred owl calling I heard a couple of minutes before he came by, despite the fact that he came from the direction the hooting came from.
    It is too bad that owl missed out on some crunchy grooves with all of its squealing. Did you go have a talk with that owl about proper trail etiquette?

mtbr member
    for your own safety, don't play your music in such a way that it blocks your hearing. to be considerate, don't play it so that anyone else can hear it unless they are right next to you. that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helmet.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	1209023
    I have an old Shuffle too, so I might try this. I don't like riding with music blocking my hearing. I have a lot of narrow trails with lousy line-of-sight, so I need to hear what's coming. I do miss riding with music though.

also, I plan to do a gravel grind some day soon with some speakers attached to my bike. I plan to place Surfin' Bird on repeat the whole time. I think that might be the most annoying option, but if anyone can suggest something more irritating, I might try that too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    Kinda wanna try the newer Air model to see if fitment and skull-contact might be improved (between helmet straps and sunglasses, they can sometimes get nudged in a way that reduces the audio) but they've been rock solid otherwise, and with me on pretty much every ride. Wouldn't have it any other way.
    I have the new air but can't see any different in fit. They look exactly the same. Once you get your helmet and glasses on and adjusted it works well. I can pause very easily when I came across other riders.

We luckily don't have any real animal or insect life threats on the trail in New England other than ticks giving Lyme disease. Having to be wary of mountain lions and rattlers would likely out me on the other side of the debate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I have the new air but can't see any different in fit. They look exactly the same. Once you get your helmet and glasses on and adjusted it works well. I can pause very easily when I came across other riders.

We luckily don't have any real animal or insect life threats on the trail in New England other than ticks giving Lyme disease. Having to be wary of mountain lions and rattlers would likely out me on the other side of the debate.
    The differences are definitely minimal, and honestly it's not a big enough issue for me (especially to justify dropping another $150) but I do tend to buy new shiny shit just for the sake of buying new shiny shit... a lot =) The Air design looks like it might bring some of the bulk forward a little bit and make the back end sag a tad less. Of course, I an WAY overdue for a haircut and that shaggy bush isn't helping. I should probably start there.

good portable speaker.-trekz.png

About the only annoying thing is that single activity button on the left side. Works very well for the pausing/unpausing like ya mentioned. But double tapping it is almost an art form, especially when wearing gloves. Sometimes it ends up just pausing/unpausing, other times it wants to try and make a call/activate voice assistant. Got it down pretty decently these days though, and it's still well worth it for the benefits it provides.

and yeah, even with the open-ear design, I still find myself turning the volume down sometimes just to make damn sure I can hear any nearby rattlers. They can crank out some pretty good volume otherwise =)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hell no. Just people that get too worked up about it and act like it is a big deal. Just enjoy yourselves.

I'm not even sure how much I like it yet. I do find myself getting surprised by other riders more.

Wow. There are so many crabby dudes in this thread, it is hilarious. "Oh I have to hear 5 seconds of someone else's music, my day is ruined."

For the record, I am totally opposed to someone bringing a boom box to the beach and subjecting others to their music. But this is literally 5-10 seconds. I don't even have nor have I ever even had a speaker on a ride, so I'm not being self serving here.
    It is not the worst thing but the volume on these things and the lack of awareness is what makes them less than desirable. On my last ride I encountered two different riders with speakers. This is not a large trail system so of course inevitably at one point I encountered both again on the same section of trail and both still had their music playing! Oh the cacophony!

Tribe Member
    As long as you are playing the following:
    Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction
    Metallica - Master of Puppets
    Nine Inch Nails - The downward Spiral

Carry on........
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    The best thing to listen to on the trail is the sound of your tires. Do the rest of us a favor and do not bring a speaker. If you must listen to music, please use a single earbud or one of these helmets:

https://www.amazon.com/Coros-Conduct.../dp/B06XX8X6MQ
    Last edited by nibblecuda; 07-23-2018 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Additional Options

mtbr member
    If you're going to do it, dont be a ***** about it. Tow a full cart with at least a 1000w amplifier, battery, and subwoofers.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    If you're going to do it, dont be a ***** about it. Tow a full cart with at least a 1000w amplifier, battery, and subwoofers.
    This way, the whole forest can hear it.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Correct. Sharing is caring. <3

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Because it's all about ME, and what I WANT instead of respecting anyone else that might be out on the trail... "pound sand", "only in passing"... It's just another piece of the erosion of social responsibility and courtesy.

Welcome to the "ME" era... FFS

Cycologist
    It is too bad that owl missed out on some crunchy grooves with all of its squealing. Did you go have a talk with that owl about proper trail etiquette?

Considering that I was a guest in his home, no, I did not,
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    If I'm riding solo, I'll use an old shuffle & a pair hook behind ear, head phones.

There's a little .exe called iShuffle that allows me to put on music from any source.

On the way to trail head i.e. riding along road, I'll have it pumping.

On the climb I'll have volume lowered so I can hear it & others possibly descending.

Whilst descending I'll have it off...

On commute back home, I'll crank up the volume again.

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Ahhhh...another thread where the uglies feel the need to preach. Opinions are like a$$holes and every a$$hole has an opinion...gotta luv the internet mentality...not.

On topic, nice to learn about the bone conduction speakers. I absolutely love music but it's not my thing on the trails. I'm 65 and have a regular riding buddy also 65 who does use a speaker when he rides. I quite enjoy his music especially when I hear it fade away on the downhills...when it increases on the uphills, I know he's coming...

And back to another a$$hole having an opinion (me)...have the rest of you a$$holes thought about simply ignoring threads you don't like? Oh, I forget, not in the internet age...

mtbr member
    Damn ya still going hard on this lol. I started this thread over two years. Damn it move on folks. People are going to what they want to do no matter the dirty looks or what people say. Smh

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    There's a popular trail near me with a short climb then 3 short 'downhill trails' that split off. It's a good setup to do lap after lap. Most people will pause at the top and take a break before heading downhill. Last time I was there there was a couple and each was playing music and just hanging out at the top. I didn't stay long because I didn't want to listen. Of course after I climbed back to the top they were still there playing music.

I've noticed lately people playing music on their phones in public places (restaurants, checkout line,etc). It doesn't bother some people at all. I however find it extremely annoying but I guess I'm just an old (35) curmudgeon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post

I've noticed lately people playing music on their phones in public places (restaurants, checkout line,etc). It doesn't bother some people at all. I however find it extremely annoying but I guess I'm just an old (35) curmudgeon.
    That is absolutely annoying and not appropriate because they are in a crowded place and you are stuck next to them. This is more like someone driving by with the car window down while they play music at a 7.

There is obvious scales to this being reasonable or not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daholla77 View Post
    Damn ya still going hard on this lol. I started this thread over two years. Damn it move on folks. People are going to what they want to do no matter the dirty looks or what people say. Smh

I dug it back up to recommend the bone conduction headphones. Hopefully when someone searches this out a year from now they at least see that.

mtbr member
    I dug it back up to recommend the bone conduction headphones. Hopefully when someone searches this out a year from now they at least see that.

That's cool, I hope so too.

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I've noticed lately people playing music on their phones in public places (restaurants, checkout line,etc).
    I've been noticing kids in shopping carts being pacified by their parents cell phones playing cartoons or whatever while shopping. Can't blame them for doing that if it keeps the kids from whining, which is WAY worse, but it can also be really annoying depending on my mood.
    Cool heads prevail

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

good portable speaker.-threads-dead-baby-threads-dead.jpg
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12