Good Cheap Wheels?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Good Cheap Wheels?

For my XC - Light AM bike. (09 DB Response Sport) I'm 180lbs, ride in the Front San Gabs, ride semi-rocky inter-advanced terrain. ST with some tech,a lil bit of rock gardens, and 1-3 feet jumps, max. I guess im kinda hard on my equip since i just started again.

I feel like I don't want to pay for something if i cant really get my monies worth. Yah it would be better, but it would be just too much (heavy-expensive) for what I want to do..
    I need a good cheap set, one that will last me a year or 2, all for around $200.
    Last edited by DannyBoy1; 12-04-2009 at 06:14 PM.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    One man's "cheap" is anothers man's "expensive".

What is your maximum budget including tax and shipping?

mtbr member
    Cheap is a relative term on wheels, it would help to know your budget.

But check out Chain Reaction's custom wheels section. Shimano Hubs + cheaper mavic rims can have you a very strong and reliable (if not especially lightweight) set of wheels for under 100 ($160).

For example:
    Shimano Deore Disc Hub Front M525 32h Black 6-Bolt
    Mavic XM317 Rim 32h Black 26inch
    DT Swiss Spokes Competition Stainless DB Silver 2mm-1.8mm
    Shimano Deore Disc Hub Rear M525 32h Black 6-Bolt
    Mavic XM317 Rim 32h Black 26inch
    DT Swiss Spokes Competition Stainless DB Silver 2mm-1.8mm
    Selected Package Price:

too cold to ride
    I've been very happy so far with my Sunrim Rhyno Lites. Lite is a relative term, as they're pretty heavy, but strong as heck. Can be had for south of $100...
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSharks
    I've been very happy so far with my Sunrim Rhyno Lites. Lite is a relative term, as they're pretty heavy, but strong as heck. Can be had for south of $100...
    Damn, I havent read anything about those wheels. I thought i had it narrowed it down.lol

What about
    Shimano XT 756 WTB FX28 Wheelset
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Wheelset.aspx

Azonic Outlaw Wheelset '08/'09
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...lset+0809.aspx

Mavic 321 Disc Custom
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d&productId=26

WTB LaserDisc XC Custom
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d&productId=88

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Of those you list, I'd go with the Mavic 321/XT set. I think they have the best combination of weight, strength, ease of service and price. JMHO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Of those you list, I'd go with the Mavic 321/XT set. I think they have the best combination of weight, strength, ease of service and price. JMHO.
    I second that reccomendation.

I crunched the freewheel in my Crossrides and needed a cheap set to tide me over. I got the Deore hubs(a step down from XT) with 321 rims and 36 hole lacing for $129 from Cambria.

Holding up good so far on some very rocky trails. I did retension the spokes after a few rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ok great, thanks guys, so between the Mavic 321 vs the Outlaws. What would you rather have? The Outlaws wouldn't be overkill would they? Worth the weight/strength addition?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy1
    Ok great, thanks guys, so between the Mavic 321 vs the Outlaws. What would you rather have? The Outlaws wouldn't be overkill would they? Worth the weight/strength addition?
    For 1 to 2 foot drops max? Yes, the Outlaws would be overkill.

This set of XT/321's (that I built myself) sees action like this on a regular basis (rider here weighs 195lbs) and keeps on tickin':

Religion = Non-thinking
    why the mavic 321's over the WTB Laserdiscs for $200ish?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    For 1 to 2 foot drops max? Yes, the Outlaws would be overkill.

This set of XT/321's (that I built myself) sees action like this on a regular basis (rider here weighs 195lbs) and keeps on tickin':

Holy Cow! I wanna do that, but haven't found anything around me big enough. lol

Is there anything lighter or cheaper wheel that is a notch or 2 below the 321? I feel like I don't want to pay for something if i cant really get my monies worth. Yah it would be better, but it would be just too much for what I want to do.. And to keep the cost/weight down
    Thanks again guys... sorry im kinda slow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    why the mavic 321's over the WTB Laserdiscs for $200ish?
    321's are wider I believe. That would make them better suited to wider tires, and probably sturdier.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I'm not going to bad-mouth the WTB rims because I have no first hand experience with them. I do have experience of riding and building a few sets of 321's with XT hubs and they have been quite durable in every case. I am confident enough to recommend them with a clear conscience.

The WTB Laser Disc XC weighs 440g and is more comparable to the Mavic 317 which weighs 445g. From what I am gathering about you as we go along, you'd probably be OK with either the Laser Disc XC or the Mavic 317. The 317 is a decent XC rim, but I wouldn't go wider than a 2.3" tire on one. If you have aspirations to run 2.5" tires, I would go with something wider and more substantial to maximize the effectiveness of the wider tires and because it will maintain a margin of safety to help keep you away from rim failures.

Between my son and I, we have found the limits of Mavic 317, 517 and 717 rims. It was beyond what you have described as your riding style, so they would likely be good for you so long as you don't run the big meats.

Edit: I see in your profile that you're a San Gabes rider. If you like that sort of chunky stuff, maybe you should just go for the 321's

mtbr member
    looks like you have a db response sport.. and some weinmann rims and random hubs. did you destroy those or something? you're looking at some really really heavy duty rims for a xc hardtail.

id be inclined to steer you away from such heavy parts. you'll enjoy riding less if your upgrade slows you down so much.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    looks like you have a db response sport.. and some weinmann rims and random hubs. did you destroy those or something? you're looking at some really really heavy duty rims for a xc hardtail.

id be inclined to steer you away from such heavy parts. you'll enjoy riding less if your upgrade slows you down so much.
    No, I haven't broken them or anything, I just want to upgrade to something better because of all the deals that are going on. I can't find ANYTHING about my Weinmann rims, how much they weight, etc. They are double wall, thats all I know, lol

Thanks for your input guys!
    Last edited by DannyBoy1; 12-04-2009 at 06:41 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0