Going to LBS, questions to ask?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Going to LBS, questions to ask?

Going to the LBS tomorrow - what are some questions I should ask when being fitted, looking at bikes, etc? Some I've thought of:

1) warranty
    2) how to take off chain, put back on
    3) tires - tubeless? etc

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Give them an idea of what you are looking for and they will ask you the questions. As to your potential chain question; that is a service question which isn't very relevant during the purchasing of a bike. Chains are easy on/off by the way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Cool
    Give them an idea of what you are looking for and they will ask you the questions. As to your potential chain question; that is a service question which isn't very relevant during the purchasing of a bike. Chains are easy on/off by the way.
    Well I just thought I might ask because I've read in other threads where someone's chain didn't come with the "missing link" and it might be harder to take on and off.

Just talked to one of the guys at the LBS and he seemed very helpful and knowledgeable - you are right, he asked me the questions.

They don't have any 17" bikes built so he is going to build a Rockhopper Comp and a Hardrock Sport Disc 29er for me to try out tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorhog
    Well I just thought I might ask because I've read in other threads where someone's chain didn't come with the "missing link" and it might be harder to take on and off.

Just talked to one of the guys at the LBS and he seemed very helpful and knowledgeable - you are right, he asked me the questions.

They don't have any 17" bikes built so he is going to build a Rockhopper Comp and a Hardrock Sport Disc 29er for me to try out tomorrow.

Yeah I was the Missing Link guy, but the chain is still not difficult to break with a chain tool...I did learn to make sure when using the chain tool (if that's what is required) to not push the pin all the way through, which makes it much easier to snap the link back in place when putting it back together.

The Rockhopper Comp is a really nice bike, I chose between that and the Giant Revel 0...went for the Revel pretty much based on how it felt to me.

Good luck with your test rides

mtbr member
    A good shop/salesperson will be asking you the questions. If you feel like you didn't gain the knowledge you wanted, go to another shop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Post your wants/desires here first...read up and then go to a LBS or just order online.

I have never bought a bike online, but I know many that have and are happy.

Your budget/ride style is the real determining factor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by runkulus
    Yeah I was the Missing Link guy, but the chain is still not difficult to break with a chain tool...I did learn to make sure when using the chain tool (if that's what is required) to not push the pin all the way through, which makes it much easier to snap the link back in place when putting it back together.

The Rockhopper Comp is a really nice bike, I chose between that and the Giant Revel 0...went for the Revel pretty much based on how it felt to me.

Good luck with your test rides
    What kind of chain is that? My understanding is that pins are not to be reused like that.

mtbr member
    A lot of LBSs have a free tune-ups (for a certain amount time like year). It is handy if you are new to biking...having someone else check it for you.
    Ask about that.

Members who have read this thread: 0