going clipless...shoes??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

going clipless...shoes??

hey guys decided to try clipless, gotta a pair of candy 2s need a decent pair of mtn biking shoes,preferably for around a 100 bucks
    thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Shimano makes some good entry level shoes, the M087 is good and the M161 is a little better but a little more than $100 too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Not trying to steer you away from the Shimano shoes, but I just bought the M077's, which are the exact same as the M087's...except they don't have the ratchet, just 3 velcro straps. I'm getting cramps, pain, and hot spots all over the bottoms of my feet. I've been tinkering with the cleat for over a week, and seem to just be moving the pain around. I'm about to step up one notch to a higher level shoe and see if that helps. The Shimano's are comfortable, but the soles on the entry level shoes seem to have some flex in them, and I think that may be causing my pain. I'm going to try the Specialized Comp MTB, or the Shimano M161's instead.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i decided to try the six six one filter shoes, i never rode clipless so i figured a shoe closer to my normal shoe's would help the transition.

i got them on chainlove for $35, cant really beat that.

(google pictures as mine arent in yet.)

05 specialized hardrock SS.

Afric Pepperbird
    Lake MTB shoes are superb. I'd suggest the MX160 series.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mayberry32 View Post
    ...I'm getting cramps, pain, and hot spots all over the bottoms of my feet. I've been tinkering with the cleat for over a week, and seem to just be moving the pain around. I'm about to step up one notch to a higher level shoe and see if that helps. The Shimano's are comfortable, but the soles on the entry level shoes seem to have some flex in them, and I think that may be causing my pain. I'm going to try the Specialized Comp MTB, or the Shimano M161's instead.
    Since I have rarely heard of a problem like this, I suspect this has more to do with you then the model of the shoe. I have had several Shimano models (and like them a lot), but suggest you try a different brand because the feel of Shimano's is very similar across several models.

OP...go to your LBS and try on different brands. Comfort is the key thing you are looking for. The shoe should fit snug, but not binding or crunching your toes. the fit and sizing from brand to brand varies widely.

mtb enthusiast
    I recently picked up a pair of Bontragers at my lbs and I love them. They comply with the In-Form (aftermarket) insoles and also come with a pair pre-installed. Also the ratcheting mechanism on the top really keeps your foot deep in the shoe. Lastly, they ventilate really well (almost too well) where you can feel air moving around parts of your foot. For winter riding this may not be so good.

Link: http://bontrager.com/model/09605

mtbr member
    I highly recommend the Shimano m161's. You can find them online as low as $80 if you get lucky size wise. They are nearly as nice and better in some respects than my Sidi Dominators.
    I picked up the Sidi's off of Craig's List for $120 in nearly new condition with Specialized BG insoles.
    That is another thing to consider if you know your size for each model shoe (Mtb shoes seem to vary widely from brand to brand and even make to make) there are some deals to be found on CL

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    shimano

Bicycle Radical
    I have wide feet and my Keen Springwaters fit me fairly well. I got them for 90 at REI.

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by mayberry32 View Post
    Not trying to steer you away from the Shimano shoes, but I just bought the M077's, which are the exact same as the M087's...except they don't have the ratchet, just 3 velcro straps. I'm getting cramps, pain, and hot spots all over the bottoms of my feet. I've been tinkering with the cleat for over a week, and seem to just be moving the pain around. I'm about to step up one notch to a higher level shoe and see if that helps. The Shimano's are comfortable, but the soles on the entry level shoes seem to have some flex in them, and I think that may be causing my pain. I'm going to try the Specialized Comp MTB, or the Shimano M161's instead.
    Recently picked up the Shimano m161's myself and have had the same problem just with my right foot with ton's of pain and cramps on the middle of the inside foot. Every ride it is getting better at it's starting to mold to my foot. Also, I've slowly moved the cleat around and this has helped lessen the pain even more. If I where you I would try just riding them till they break in or like you said upgrade to a stiffer sole. One thing you could do it switch out the sole insert for something else.

For the OP I would try on all types if you can and what feels best for you.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    thanks guys. probably gonna be the bontrager's since i can actually try em on at my LBS
    thanks

mtbr member
    Sette.
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....