Going bike shopping- Mtbr.com
    Noob

Going bike shopping

Ive been on here since October and ive been reading through various posts since then. Ive read some great stuff. Im going bike browsing. It will be my 2nd bike. My first bike is a rigid Puch Red Point that was given to me when I was too small to ride it. Its time to upgrade because I want to get into mountain biking.

Ive gathered that the LBS is the best place to buy a bike because of all the benefits you get with them. Ive picked out about 20 bike shops in my area, yes there are that many, that have good reviews on Yelp.

So, is picking a bike shop just as important as picking out a bike? I think I will go to each shop and see:

1. What their customer service is like
    2. What comes with a bike purchase (and bike warranty)
    3. What bikes does that shop have
    4. What the prices are

I think that is a good start, but is there anything else I should be looking for in a LBS and what other questions should I be asking while im shopping?

Thanks in advance! For those of you in Cali, Im in the SF south bay, so pointing me towards a good shop will be appreciated.

Cantankerous Old Fart
    Quote Originally Posted by beastie_3
    Ive been on here since October and ive been reading through various posts since then. Ive read some great stuff. Im going bike browsing. It will be my 2nd bike. My first bike is a rigid Puch Red Point that was given to me when I was too small to ride it. Its time to upgrade because I want to get into mountain biking.

Ive gathered that the LBS is the best place to buy a bike because of all the benefits you get with them. Ive picked out about 20 bike shops in my area, yes there are that many, that have good reviews on Yelp.

So, is picking a bike shop just as important as picking out a bike? I think I will go to each shop and see:

1. What their customer service is like
    2. What comes with a bike purchase (and bike warranty)
    3. What bikes does that shop have
    4. What the prices are

I think that is a good start, but is there anything else I should be looking for in a LBS and what other questions should I be asking while im shopping?

Thanks in advance! For those of you in Cali, Im in the SF south bay, so pointing me towards a good shop will be appreciated.

Try asking them a question that you already know the answer to & see if they try to BS you.

If they do, then don't go back.

mtbr member
    Invest in yourself and learn to fix your own bike...also, look for last-year's models. More explosion for your hard-earned dollar!

Noob
    I have already looked into upgrading my current bike, but the money spent on upgrades would be more than a new bike. Either my frame is bent, or the rear wheel is bent, I would like to install front suspension, and add disc brakes (which i dont know if it can be done).

Noob
    I didnt find much when I searched, but being 190lb 6'1" what should I be looking for as far as size and comfort? With bars and seat adjusted properly, what should I be looking for besides just being comfortable? Ive seen some bikes offer M, L, XL, etc and sizes in inches. Or is it just being comfortable?

mtbr member
    You should demo the bike and get what feels good to you.

It's all about the FSR!
    Quote Originally Posted by beastie_3
    I didnt find much when I searched, but being 190lb 6'1" what should I be looking for as far as size and comfort? With bars and seat adjusted properly, what should I be looking for besides just being comfortable? Ive seen some bikes offer M, L, XL, etc and sizes in inches. Or is it just being comfortable?
    I would say at your height, you will be at least a large, depending on the bike. XL possibly, just depends on what feels better to you. I would try out whatever they have, and don't feel pressured by the shop. They shouldn't try to pressure you. If they do, leave. Find another shop.

Members who have read this thread: 0