• 03-30-2004
    sasker
    Giant Yukon, Norco Wolverine, Gary Fisher Wahoo: Which one to buy?
    Hi all,

I am looking for a good budget bike. Would have liked a full suspension bike with disc breaks, but it seems they are out of my price range. I have narrowed down my choice to three bikes, and the shop people all tell me they are giving me a good deal.

*) Giant Yukon: disc brakes and a suspension seat post to compensate the lack of rear suspension: Cnd $700 tax included. So far this is my favourite choice.

*) Norco Wolverine: disc brakes (rear disc will be added) and a suspension seat post: Cnd $680 tax included

*) Gary Fisher Wahoo: disc brakes and suspension seat post: about Cnd $730.

Which one would be a better choice? I ride mostly on the streets, and sometimes down hill or on a trail, but nothing too serious.

Thanks for any suggestion!
  • 03-30-2004
    bike_freak
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sasker
    Hi all,

I am looking for a good budget bike. Would have liked a full suspension bike with disc breaks, but it seems they are out of my price range. I have narrowed down my choice to three bikes, and the shop people all tell me they are giving me a good deal.

*) Giant Yukon: disc brakes and a suspension seat post to compensate the lack of rear suspension: Cnd $700 tax included. So far this is my favourite choice.

*) Norco Wolverine: disc brakes (rear disc will be added) and a suspension seat post: Cnd $680 tax included

Which one would be a better choice? I ride mostly on the streets, and sometimes down hill or on a trail, but nothing too serious.

Get the one that fits YOU best.
  • 03-30-2004
    sasker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bike_freak

That is of course a very important consideration. I am also wondering which of these bikes is better in terms of durability and value. Am I really getting a deal on any of them?
  • 03-30-2004
    bike_freak
    Quote:

That is of course a very important consideration. I am also wondering which of these bikes is better in terms of durability and value. Am I really getting a deal on any of them?

Fit is more important then the better components or what ever. All of those bikes have good parts so just get the best fitting one.
    Disk brakes at that price range are sometikmes not always worth it, lots of them don't offer the advantage of disks over V's in that price range. But I'm sure they will be fine.
  • 03-30-2004
    damion
    Bike freak is right...
    Get the bike that fits. They are all decent bikes for the money. If it were my decision, I say skip the disc brakes at that price level. The overall component package will be better because of that decision.
  • 03-31-2004
    wraith
    Quote:

Originally Posted by damion
    Get the bike that fits. They are all decent bikes for the money. If it were my decision, I say skip the disc brakes at that price level. The overall component package will be better because of that decision.

I'm going to repeat what everyone has said "GET THE BIKE THAT FITS". All three bike look about the same. The only thing is the fisher doesn't come with stock disc brakes, so depending on what your LBS is going to throw on there for you that change the equation.
  • 03-31-2004
    sasker
    Thanks for the replies! I hear you. So none of these bikes is clearly and objectively better. I'll look more into the points raised.
  • 04-01-2004
    pimpbot
    I have a Yukon...
    ...and it is a nice bike. Mine is an '00 model, but the '04s have discs and a better part spec all around.

All the bikes you mention are good bikes. You won't loose either way. But I would suggest riding them all and decide for yourself. Figure out what fits you best. If you really are riding mostly street, don't worry about missing out on the full suspension thing. You won't miss it. In fact, it may do you some good to invest in some slick tires. They will grip better and roll way faster on pavement.
  • 04-03-2004
    wickerman1
    Quote:

Hi all,

Again yes fit is important, but Ilooked at all three and after reading the specs, the Giant seems to have better components then the other two.
    They all have the same drivetrain but the Giant has better wheels and hubs then the other two and the fork is adhustable on the Giant.
    Just my .02
  • 04-03-2004
    sasker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wickerman1
    Again yes fit is important, but Ilooked at all three and after reading the specs, the Giant seems to have better components then the other two.
    They all have the same drivetrain but the Giant has better wheels and hubs then the other two and the fork is adhustable on the Giant.
    Just my .02

Yes. To my untrained eyes the Yukon also seems like the best of the bunch as far as value is concerned.

I have tried the Yukon and the Wahoo, and I felt more at ease with the Yukon. But I'll probably try them again.
  • 04-03-2004
    Gazoo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bike_freak

After fit

get the one you like the most from the bike shop that gives you the best deal and service.
  • 04-04-2004
    skihillguy
    I agree with everyone that fit is most important.
    However, i disagree when they say that the disc brakes are not an important feature compared to the v brakes.As the guys at my LBS explained to me the cost of adding disc brakes later will be more substantial than if you a bike with them on it now. Sure the brakes themselves are not the most expensive but unless your wheels are disc compatible already then yopu would have to upgrade the wheels later too to install disc brakes.
    I just boiught a TREK 4900 and had a choice between one with v brakes and another with disc brakes and took the disc brakes for the extra $150

Also with v brakes ....they ride on the rim where if they are wet or covered in mud....compared to the disc brake where they are in the middle of the wheel. Also what if your whell goes out of true....it rim rubs against the v brake where as the disc brake is not subject to that

just my opinions
  • 04-04-2004
    joshua_msu
    In bikes at that price range, your not going to get good disc brakes, but you will get a decent set of v-brakes.
  • 04-04-2004
    wickerman1
    actually..
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joshua_msu
    In bikes at that price range, your not going to get good disc brakes, but you will get a decent set of v-brakes.

the discs that are on the Giant are Hayes MX-2's. Nothing wrong with that.
  • 04-06-2004
    bdee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wickerman1
    the discs that are on the Giant are Hayes MX-2's. Nothing wrong with that.

Actually, the thing that is wrong with the Hayes MX-2's is that they aren't adjustable. There is no dial on the inside part of the caliper to adjust when the pad starts to wear. I had a set of the HMX-1's and they weren't all that great. The adjustment dial that they provided seized after a week, and one of them was already seized out of the package.

If you must have disc brakes on the bike, I'd see if maybe the shop can take the MX-2's off, and give you some store credit toward some AVID mechanicals. You will be much happier in the long run, as the AVIDS are the best mechanicals out there and they are very easy to adjust.

Like the others said, FIT is the most important issue when buying a bike. Also, i'm not sure what kind of fork comes on the other two bikes you listed, but the Suntour one on the Yukon is "ok", not all that great, but it will work just fine for you if you are primarily riding around town and stuff.
  • 04-06-2004
    wickerman1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdee
    Actually, the thing that is wrong with the Hayes MX-2's is that they aren't adjustable. There is no dial on the inside part of the caliper to adjust when the pad starts to wear. I had a set of the HMX-1's and they weren't all that great. The adjustment dial that they provided seized after a week, and one of them was already seized out of the package.

If you must have disc brakes on the bike, I'd see if maybe the shop can take the MX-2's off, and give you some store credit toward some AVID mechanicals. You will be much happier in the long run, as the AVIDS are the best mechanicals out there and they are very easy to adjust.

Like the others said, FIT is the most important issue when buying a bike. Also, i'm not sure what kind of fork comes on the other two bikes you listed, but the Suntour one on the Yukon is "ok", not all that great, but it will work just fine for you if you are primarily riding around town and stuff.

The Gary Fisher has a Rock Shox Judy TT, also adjustable which i didnt read.
    The Norco has a Suntour fork also but its non-adjustable.
    I also read in the specs that the shifter for the rear derailleur for the Norco is for 7spd, but it has an 8spd freewheel.
    The Giant to me is still the best buy.