mtbr member

Is the Giant Yukon FX a good first bike?

Hey guys,

I'm new to mountain biking and I recently purchased a Yukon FX for around 650 dollars. I bought the FX over the hardtail Yukon because it was around the same price, and it's full suspension. I'm pretty sure the hardtail Yukon has better components, but I figure I could also upgrade my parts if I need to. Was this a good choice?

mtbr member
    To late! You have the bike, enjoy it. I would suggest not spending to much on it, I spent way to much upgrading my hard tail. In the end its less expensive to buy a complete bike. I would suggest you get good at wrenching this bike and replacing parts that fail.

Anthony

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That's a great price, my friend has that bike, really nice rear suspension and just over all bike for the money. I'm sure it will do great for you, in my opinion best bang for the buck FS out there and plus the frame has a lifetime warranty. Have fun

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That's a pretty dang good price. I really think the Yukon FX is one of the best entry-level FS bikes out there. Giant frames are really solid. I think that platform would be exceptionally good for upgrading in the future, given that it has a pretty traditional low, two-point pivot design.

Just upgrade the parts as they break. Don't go tossing a bunch of brand new components on it if you really don't need it.

My only real beef with the bike is the Dart 2 fork. I think that'd probably be one of the first things to go if it were up to me.

Great choice of a bike. You won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Great frame and great price. It might seem heavy when you pick it up (~ 33 pounds), however the bike hides it weight well on the trail. If you do upgrade in the near future ditch the fork and get a new crankset. The BB on the stock crankset weighs a ton.

mtbr member
    I purchased an SX (same model, different fork) a few months ago and am very happy with it.

All the reviews I read were positive, so I took the plunge.

It's not an Anthem or Trance, but as an entry level DS with a good frame and room for upgrades if required, I believe it's hard to beat.
    "The grass (on the other side) may be greener, but it's just as hard to mow..." - John Butler Trio, "Better than".

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the feedback guys.

To Holycrickey- Hopefully my parts last awhile, because I'm running low money at the moment..lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CowRider
    Thanks for all the feedback guys.

To Holycrickey- Hopefully my parts last awhile, because I'm running low money at the moment..lol
    Unless you're taking it off large jumps, those components should last you quite long enough. You definitely shouldn't worry about that.

Enjoy riding!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Good Buy!

Hi I have one that is now fully upgraded, everything except the frame.
    Full XT everything Avid BB7 and rockshox revelation fork. Yes I probably spent more money but I did it little by little so i did not have to dish out 3K. I sold all the old part on ebay...

I've ridden more expenses bikes like trek fuel and still like the Yukon FX. The geometry is more relaxed than the full XC bikes (upright). I'm just used to it I guess.

I have done over 900 miles on the bike in one year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Actually, according to my favorite publication for mountain bike reviews, you did really, really well:

http://www.mountainbiketales.com/reviews/youkon.htm

Enjoy!
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

mtbr member
    To me the best entry level FS bike under a G. And you copped a hell of a deal on that.
    "Solution to two of the world's problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry."

Members who have read this thread: 0