giant xtc 29er and the marzocchi 44's it rode in on.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

giant xtc 29er and the marzocchi 44's it rode in on.

lol, sorry i think im funny.

I just ordered a 2012 giant xtc 29er2 and it comes with the marzocchi 44 tst2 29's. the website puts the travel at 100mm, but the marzocchi websites says they go up to 140mm.. is it an extension kit i can get for them?

I am just getting back into biking but dealing with air shocks is new to me.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    There is an spacer you can take out to make it travel to 140mm but if the frame is set up for 100mm I'd leave it at that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post
    There is an spacer you can take out to make it travel to 140mm but if the frame is set up for 100mm I'd leave it at that.
    that would be my second question and the big one i was wondering, is the length/travel of the fork limited or set by the geometry of the frame?. What would happen if you went outside of the stock setting? stability issues, balance or would the shocks just not preform as they should.

mtbr member
    I could see you setting it at 120mm but I feel like 140mm would be weaker and too much of a difference from the recommendations.. I'm not too knowledgeable about it but I believe something about the angle difference will make it harder to climb and might strain the frame more than it was built for.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    To go from 100mm to 140mm, you would actually be removing two spacers. They account for 20mm of travel each and are in there one on top of the other. That said, I have ridden the Giant XTC 29er and, personally, I wouldn't let out the travel to even 120. I don't really think it needs it. If you really feel you need 120mm or 140mm travel, it would be better to go ahead and get a bike made for that rather than 'frankenbike' a brand new XTC 29er.

I have been riding a Marz 44 TST2 on my hardtail 29er for a couple years and it is a pretty good fork, especially considering the price.

Enjoy your XTC 29er, it's an excellent bike, and very capable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    To go from 100mm to 140mm, you would actually be removing two spacers. They account for 20mm of travel each and are in there one on top of the other. That said, I have ridden the Giant XTC 29er and, personally, I wouldn't let out the travel to even 120. I don't really think it needs it. If you really feel you need 120mm or 140mm travel, it would be better to go ahead and get a bike made for that rather than 'frankenbike' a brand new XTC 29er.

I have been riding a Marz 44 TST2 on my hardtail 29er for a couple years and it is a pretty good fork, especially considering the price.

Enjoy your XTC 29er, it's an excellent bike, and very capable.
    thanks for the reply's. I am so exited to get it, i really dont see myself doing large enough jumps or competition level DH where i would "need" the 5-6" travel but i was just wondering if it could be done. I thought there would be alot more too it and it appears i am right, yet again math dosnt lie. lol

i actually traded up to the XTC from a revel 1 because i wanted to avoid turning it into a "frankenbike", or pouring fists of cash into an entry level frame and set up.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    At 100mm of travel it has 2 plastic spacers installed, to get 120 remove one and to get 140 remove both.

For the XTC to handle properly leave it at 100mm, more travel makes the bike nervous.