mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Giant Trance Thoughts?

So I am currently riding an upgraded 2011 GT Karakoram 2.0 (Hardtail 29er), and although I really like the ride I've started experiencing some BAD lower back pain during rides. I've heard that often upgrading to full suspension can alleviate some of these issues, so I've been looking around for something in my price-range.

Recently came across this beauty (2011 Giant Trance X Advanced SL1)
    Giant Trance SL Carbon 2011

It seems to be a pretty solid deal, as long as everything is what the seller says it is.
    What do you guys think?
    Any Advice??

THANKS!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Look in the "giant" section of these forums and you'll find hundreds of posts filled with nothing but praise for the trance x. I ride one and I think I would have a hard time finding something to beat the smile it puts on my face. Doesn't matter if you pay full price or get a deal, this bike is worth every penny.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    God god that's a killer deal! Jump on that ASAP

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Haha, That's kinda what I was thinking... Just emailed the seller, It's been up for 6 days already though. Hopefully it's still available!

No Stranger to danger....
    thats a sweet bike, the trance is tried n tested, im a giant rider myself and they make great bikes, i dont think you will ever see anybody thats ridden a trance not sing its praises, and with the maestro suss on it you cant go wrong.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Man. I may have to sell my Tx to help pay for a new truck. This thread is bumming me out hey at least i have the Tx29er to look forward too next year!

mtbr member
    Looks to be to good to be true. Make sure it's not stolen. If it is available, meet in a public place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slumpey View Post
    Looks to be to good to be true. Make sure it's not stolen. If it is available, meet in a public place.
    Good point. Anyone who spends coin on that bike knows exactly what the hell they're doing. Ask .lots of questions. Ask what he thinks of the geometry and handling. Ask if the steertube has been cut. They ate super long on those bikes for the racer types to dial it in exactly how they want.

mtbr member
    Its a sexy looking bike no doubt, and Im sure it will kick ass, but it perplexes me on the quality of the bike. I would most def add about 250 and pick up a Cannondale RZ one twenty 3, those things can take a beating.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So can the trance. Look up reviews on the trance. You won't find any issues with the trance frames. They are stout and take a beating from my 220lb ass

Save Jesus
    You know what else fixes lower back pain? Proper bike setup, posture, and core exercises.
    IMHO I have ridden a Trance, and I personally think that an Ibis Mojo feels better. You could say it's the real thing vs a Taiwanese knockoff LOL. The trance's anti-bob suspension makes it feels like there is "too much stuff moving around", whereas an Ibis DWL feels very neutral.

Personally I ride an Anthem, as it feels much more efficient than the Trance. But I would still recommend the Trance if you don't want to shell out the big bux for an Ibis.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That thing has to be stolen lol. Great deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Soo... I heard back from the seller today, and what she is proposing seems pretty sketchy.
    Here's the email she sent, what do you guys think?

Thanks for being interested in buying my Giant Trance SL Carbon 2011.
    I will start my email by telling you that I'm currently out of country so pick up isn't an option.
    The bike is in excellent condition, never crashed, under 300 miles, with not a single scratch on it, never exposed to rain, and will be delivered at your home address (if you need more photos or other info regarding the bike please let me know).
    Total price will be $1190 (including shipping and handling costs) and the transaction will be made only through eBay because i am not in the country anymore and this way it's safer for both.
    If you are interested please let me know and i'll send you further instructions!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    im interested in the further instructions. play her a bit and repost! definitely stolen/scam

mtbr member
    That is super sketchy. I used to ride with a guy who was sort of a ****** and he rode a Giant so I don't really like them, hehe. But that is the only reason.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    similar bike got similar amount of bids on ebay. Seems like good deal for good price unless I'm comparing something wrong.
    2010 Giant Trance X Advanced SL0 | eBay

Inspector Gadget
    No way that is a legit add... Total scam and you'll be out $1200 if you go for it.

That said... I have a 2011 trance x2 and love it. But obviously I'm biased. It's a solid bike and a lot of bang for the buck.
    It's the perfect time of year, Somewhere far away from here.

mtbr member
    Thats not just sketchy, thats a classic scam. Dont fall for it, its absolutely a scam. You WILL be out of your money and never see the bike.

The trance is a good bike... im not a very big fan because of the goofy shock size it uses. You're stuck using less than stellar shocks on it.

mtbr member
    I'd def say that BS and scam, don't go for it, but please tell "her" that you're interested and would like further instructions - curious to see what sort of BS she says.

One thing in the ad that might ring true to you though is the statement about having a 29er HT and not liking the 26" wheels, hence the reason for selling. I know for absolute sure I will never voluntarily ride a 26" wheeled bike again and I have a perfectly fine '05 Trance frameset sitting down from when I made the move to a 29er in '07.

Will also agree with Beanbag, you may just need to do some core strengthening work and ride more. When I ride my HT I almost never sit down once on the trail, always just hovering over the saddle - very tiring for sure.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So, time to see exactly how "she's" going to try and pull off this scam.
    Here's the email I sent back... just waiting on the response to see what it wants me to do.

Hi Diane,
    Sounds good! How exactly are you going to set up the purchase through Ebay though?
    I was wondering if you knew the geometry of the bike, and what length the steerer tube is cut to? also if you had some pictures of the F/R shocks? Does the FS have remote lockout?
    Thanks again, it looks like an amazing bike!
    Just let me know what I need to do...

Thanks!
    P.S. Just curious where you are out of the country? Did you move out there or just traveling?

mtbr member
    Why didn't they list it on Ebay to begin with?
    How many feedbacks does the seller have on Ebay? Are they Positive?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I doubt they are actually going to put it onto ebay... I'm expecting I'll get some sort of fake ebay invoice through email asking for my credit card info, saying that the money will be "held" until I receive the bike. You then put your info in, the $ gets taken, and you never see the bike...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    She probably wants you to send it as a gift to avoid fees. Sounds like an awesome idea!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merf View Post
    Soo... I heard back from the seller today, and what she is proposing seems pretty sketchy.
    Here's the email she sent, what do you guys think?

Thanks for being interested in buying my Giant Trance SL Carbon 2011.
    I will start my email by telling you that I'm currently out of country so pick up isn't an option.
    The bike is in excellent condition, never crashed, under 300 miles, with not a single scratch on it, never exposed to rain, and will be delivered at your home address (if you need more photos or other info regarding the bike please let me know).
    Total price will be $1190 (including shipping and handling costs) and the transaction will be made only through eBay because i am not in the country anymore and this way it's safer for both.
    If you are interested please let me know and i'll send you further instructions!
    BRO screw that save another like 200ish bucks and buy a brand new trek or cannondale that will be more bang for your buck anyway, and you can go into a shop give them tests rides, get a warranty, pick your color and size yadda yadda. You have a decent amount of money for a nice new bike no need to get a used one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Got the next set of instructions for how to "receive" the bike...

Hi,
    As I told you in my first email right now I'm in England, just arrived here 3 days ago. Before I left I found a buyer and I had everything arranged. I paid for the shipping and almost sent it to him, but yesterday he asked me to wait another 4 weeks because he suddenly had other priorities and he is out of money for the moment. I can't wait this long because I really need the money to pay the rent for my new home.
    I'll use only eBay because they offer a fast and very secure way for our transaction. eBay purchase protection guarantees that the bike is exactly as I described; basically, once delivered, you'll have 10 days to inspect it.
    If the bike meets your expectations and you want to keep it you will have to tell them to release the payment to me. The payment is made through bank transfer in the eBay's account and they will hold the money until you send them the confirmation.
    If you decide not to keep it you will get refunded immediately and they will charge me with the return costs.
    If you are really interested in purchasing the bike please send me your full name, shipping address and your phone number. After that i will pass your details to eBay and you will receive an invoice and further instructions as how will you be able to get possession of the bike.
    Warmest regards,
    Diane Holme

Sounds exactly like a standard Escrow scam, where you think your $ is safe until you get the item, when really the escrow site or invoice you were sent was a fake, and your money is long gone by the time you realize the bike is never coming.
    I kinda want to get the next set of instructions, see how far she'll go, but dont really want to give my name/address/phone : /

Save Jesus
    Why do people scam and cheat others? It makes me really sad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Tell her to make a legitimate eBay listing with a ridiculously high
    "buy it now" but also allow "best offer"
    You send your offer for the procedure you agreed, she accepts.

Its a scam but I wanna see what amazing excuse she has to not to the above mentioned since thats a safe and secure way to do it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    HAHA!
    I like it... Email Sent.

Hi Diane,
    The bike looks great, but I've never heard of the Ebay transactions you've been talking about. I think it would be easier if you made an Ebay listing for the item and just put a very high "Buy It Now" price (>$3000) but also make "Or Best Offer" available. That way I could just make an offer of $1190 as soon as the listing goes up, you can accept it, and that would be that. I think that would be the easiest way to go about the transaction, and it would also get you your money faster to pay your rent!

Just let me know when the listing goes up, and what the name of it is so I can put my offer in

Now we play the waiting game. Hopefully she hasn't caught on that I know its a scam!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My problem is now that I'm still in the market for a full suspension bike. I'd like to keep it around the $1000 mark if possible, but there's a bit of breathing room if its a beaut!

Any thoughts on either of these?
    2011 Specialized Epic-Size L- XTR-Custom Build | eBay

Giant Anthem X1 | eBay

mtbr member
    Those are good bikes if you want a more xc-focused bike. I think the current crop of 120-130mm bikes are more versatile and stable. Bikes and good enough these days that a little more rear travel will still pedal very well and be great for all day rides.

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by Merf View Post
    Hopefully she hasn't caught on that I know its a scam!
    I bet it's a HE.

mtbr member
    Great thread. I once got scammed same way via eBay on a cellphone sent to Russia. Lost out on $550. Mine although was just a PayPal mistake as I sent to unverified address. Best of luck on new bike

mtbr member
    The epic is super nice. I really don't like mechanical disc brakes but that is just me. The epic is a really fast bike and has "the brain" so if you want to preload the shock to bunny hop it doesn't let you. Very fast bike though. Climbs awesome. I don't know anything about Giant so I will let others talk about that one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Buy. Trance x 29er x2. Msrp - $1925
    I want one soooooo bad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah the trance 29er is one bad ass bike... And I do like the 29er wheels, but I've got nothing against a 26er. Also the 2K mark is really out of my price range! What do you guys think the Epics worth? I was planning on trying to get it for 1250 or 1300. May get pushed past that by auction end though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    lol, it's a scam. I contacted the seller.

they sent a spoof email from: aw-confirm@ebaysafepurchase.com which is a fake addy.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just picked up a 2012 GT Sensor 4.0 from Performancebike.com for $999.

Can't beat the price and they still have all sizes left.

120mm travel front/rear, hydro brakes.. cant complain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    As you know already...scam. I got taken once on ebay for around $500 selling a smart phone to some guy in Kenya...how did I not see that coming!

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by slumpey View Post
    This x10! I also try and bring my friend with me, he is about my size, shaves his head and has many tatoos....sometimes we scare the hell out of the other party...till they talk to us and we're really nice guys anyway.

And I cannot stress the meeting in a public place. I generally pick the busiest intersection in this little town or if I have ANY suspicions I actually meet them in the lot at the police station! Same goes fro me going into another town. I suggest their workplace or the cop shop.

Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Afric Pepperbird
    I'd sell your left nut to have that bike!!

total newbness
    Sep 2012
    same bike i am looking at, my lbs has a few.

destructionismyobjective
    I think I delt with the same scammer about a month ago... i live in the same area and found a project 1 trek madone 6.9ssl for $1200 it was some woman and I had the cash and was ready to buy it until she said she had some shifty ebay way of dealing with it and I realized it was a scam.

Sucks to get your hopes up on something like that then realize its a scam.

However about a week ago a guy sold a Trek 9,9elite 26" hardtail for $500. I called him like 20 mins too late and he had someone on the way to look at/buy it. That one was real though cause i talked to the guy.. sucks i missed it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    That is one badass bike. I own 2 Giants but both low-end entry-level types.

Members who have read this thread: 0