Giant Boulder SE Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Giant Boulder SE Question

I have searched a few posts but still have a very newbie question ....

I am in the market for a basic mountain bike. Honestly, 50 to 75% of the riding will be paved paths and the rest will be light off road. I have an old Trek 820 I inherited from my brother which is too small. In shopping around, it seems like every brand has basically the same entry level bike for around the same price.

With a budget of $400, how does the Boulder SE stack up against other brands that are out there? It seems like the frame is solid and if I break parts over time I can replace (and upgrade) as I go along ... letting me get into a bike now and continue as time goes by.

Not really interested in buying used, I am looking for the service I will get from a store.

Thanks in advance,

drn92

mtbr member
    As long as the bit fits, it will be fine. I wouldn't recommend upgrading it though. If you do get the mountain biking bug (and you will) then it would be money better spent if you saved up for a better bike.

The frame is tough and will suit the type of riding you're looking at. Giant also have a lifetime warranty on the frame, which is reassuring. Just don't drop it off anything greater than 3 feet!

For the record, i started on a Rincon, which is the model up from a Boulder SE and it never did me wrong in 1500km's of off-road riding. Once i got my new bike, i put slicks on it and it's now my road riding/commuter bike
    2011 Kona Dr. Dew
    2010 Giant Trance X2
    2008 Giant Rincon

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks ... that is what I was hoping. I may check out one more bike store but I am close to pulling the trigger.

drn92

mtbr member
    i bought that exact bike for commuting back and forth to class with the occasional trail fun (never had before) and had it up until a few weeks ago. im pretty sure i beat the hell out of it on trails waaay more than what it was made for, but nothing ever broke, just wasnt the best performing, but enough to get me hooked.

mtbr member
    i had a boulder se that i beat the hell out off and the bike never let me down.
    2009 Giant Yukon FX

Members who have read this thread: 1