Getting Started in Downhill- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Getting Started in Downhill

Ok. So Ive been biking since I was 6. I am now 14. From the age of 6 till 10, I did racing with ABA, from around age 10 till 13 I did a bit of freestyle, and now I mainly do Rural/Dirt Jumps. I am trying to Get more into Downhill. I don't have a good Downhill bike, and I have never been on any really good trails. sometimes I go find a trail, bike up it all day, stop and make a jump here and there, then bike down it at the end of the day. I am in Queen Creek Arizona. Does anyone know of any moderate downhill trails that still have some jumps anywhere near me? and in the way of a bike, who knows of a good bike thats under 600 bucks? Thanks!

Seth

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringostr
    Ok. So Ive been biking since I was 6. I am now 14. From the age of 6 till 10, I did racing with ABA, from around age 10 till 13 I did a bit of freestyle, and now I mainly do Rural/Dirt Jumps. I am trying to Get more into Downhill. I don't have a good Downhill bike, and I have never been on any really good trails. sometimes I go find a trail, bike up it all day, stop and make a jump here and there, then bike down it at the end of the day. I am in Queen Creek Arizona. Does anyone know of any moderate downhill trails that still have some jumps anywhere near me? and in the way of a bike, who knows of a good bike thats under 600 bucks? Thanks!

Seth

Post this in the AZ. forum, you will get a lot of good info and advice, a lot of good peeps in there . Good luck .

Picture Unrelated
    What bike do you have now? $600 is not going to get you a DH bike so you might have to make due for a while until you can save up more. Look for Kona Stinkys in your size, they come up all the time in the classifieds (check pinkbike) and are usually reasonably priced bikes that can handle a touch of DH.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I don't have an mtb bike. Ive got an eastern traildigger. (BMX)

Picture Unrelated
    Well, what is your definition of "downhill"? As far as the board is concerned, we assume you're talking about lift served very aggressive downhill only trails; is this what you are talking about?

$600 can get you into a new basic hardtail bike or a used bike of many sorts. At $600, I would be wary of any full suspension bike that you are intending on using for DH. Instead I would be looking for a long travel hardtail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yes, thats what I'm talking about. I figure I will start with a Hardtail. Got any links to any?

Seth

Picture Unrelated
    Search the classifieds here and at Pinkbike.

Here are some Stinkys: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list...&pmax=&region=

Other than that, do some research and figure out some good bikes. Getting a bike for DH at your price point will be difficult. I suggest you examine exactly where you'll be riding and pick a bike suitable for that. Unless you down the the road from Whistler or Diablo do you really think you'll be riding exclusively lift served?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    my bad, aggressive, but most likely NOT lift served.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Jamis Komodo perhaps?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    maybe.....

not really an mtbr member
    I'll also point out that if you get, for example, one of the used Stinkys for cheap from Pinkbike it will probably be on its last leg and will need lots of parts replaced in the near future.

Members who have read this thread: 0