mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Getting a New Bike.

Hi, I am going to be getting a new bike with some tax money. I'm posting in the Michigan forum cause I live right around the Howell area. So figured the Michigan guys and gals could help me out. I'm looking at the trek 4300 with disk break. I will be riding mostly at the park and through my sub to start out. Then bout half way through the season I will hit some beginner trails at island lake if there are any....LOL Either way would like some information on riding in general and what ya think bout the bike.

Thanks for your help....

This is not a double post. I got 2 replies in the Michigan section and they said post here as well for some more info since I am a noob... Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's a solid, affordable bike for a beginner looking to determine his place in the off-road hierarchy. I often recommend bikes from the likes of Trek, Giant, Jamis, Iron Horse, K2, KHS, etc. for budget conscious consumers looking for something to get their feet wet.

The best advice is to buy from the shop that treats you right and takes care of you. If it is the local Trek dealer who answers your questions honestly and is willing to take the time to get you set up to enjoy the sport, then it sounds to me like you found your bike.
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Get the trek 4300 disc.

I have the 4300 with V brakes (the 2008) and I use it as my commuter bike.

The frame is solid, the components are entry level, but hold up for what you will use it for, and the frame has a lifetime warranty.

I love my 4300. It's light, easy to ride, comfortable, and if someone jacks it, I am only out $300 bucks.

I love trek bikes and as an above user posted, a lot of companies have good entry level bikes.

You might also try gary fisher bikes. The genesis geometry is a bit different, but it feels nice.

Gary Fisher has plenty of bikes in the same price range and similar components as the 4300 by trek.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Awsome... thats what I wanted to here. Two more weeks and I got a trek 4300... Thanks guys for the replies and info.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian1986
    Awsome... thats what I wanted to here. Two more weeks and I got a trek 4300... Thanks guys for the replies and info.....
    I love my Trek 4300 too. You don't really need disc brakes unless you plan on doing alot of early morning (dew) or muddy riding. The v-brakes are alot stronger than you'd think in dry conditions. That said I tend to get into some muddy stuff from time to time as most of my riding is near creeks, so I have upgraded mine to Deore LX hydraulic discs. If you don't, you could save a bit of money and jump from a 4300 to a 4500, and get some nicer components instead of some low end disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I will look into those options thanks.

mtbr member
    if you are in Michigan, this site is essential.

http://mmba.org/portal.php

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Added to bookmarks....Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0