Getting back into MTB...and a few questions.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

New question here. Getting back into MTB...and a few questions.

Hey all....I'm Randy, living in Louisville, KY and I'm getting back into biking. I rode for a few years in the late 90's and early 2000's, but haven't really been on my bike much for about 5 years.

I've got a '97 GF HKeK that's in great mechanical shape (though the paint has faded quite a bit) and I guess I'm asking for opinions on where to go from here. The bike has an Indy XC fork which I know HAS to go. Any opinions on an affordable replacement/upgrade would be very helpful.

Second question (for now)...What would be a good replacement system for my grip shifters. I prefer the rapidfires, but there are so many different levels/price points that I'm kinda lost. Also, when replacing the shifters do I have to replace the derailleurs as well?

Or...at this point is it worth my time to upgrade the components instead of going out and buying another entry level hardtail for $600 - $1,000?

responsible zombie owner
    if you have to replace the fork i would advise buying a new bike. aftermarket forks are way overpriced IMO so for the price of a quality upgrade to your fork you could get a decent and up-to-date entry level HT which you could upgrade as you grow back into the sport.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Why do you think the Indy fork has to go? Is it not functioning properly? What is the travel on the fork? There are lots of options, that can range from $200-500. What kind of rear dérailleur do you have? There are plenty of NOS and takeoffs on ebay that should fit the bill. Are you running 7 or 8 speed? Be sure to verify before buying anything new.

I was in this very spot about 6 months ago. My '94 Giant was in mostly good shape, but needed a new fork and I thought I was going to need a new hub. You quickly end up with the price of a new entry level bike ($500-700) in parts. The new entry level stuff was actually better than the components on the old giant. I ended up buying a used full suspension bike that had mostly XTR and a Fox Vanilla fork for $800. I got great components that were about 3 years old on a practically new frame for only a few hundred more than the parts to upgrade mine.

If you can keep the upgrade-itis under control, you should be able to get a nice used fork for $150 or so and shifter for ~$50 used. Start talking new and you will see that you are quickly approaching new.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    As for the Indy XC, it seemed like it wasn't that great of a fork 10 years ago, so I figured that a new fork would be lightyears ahead of it now. After browsing online for a few days, I was looking in the direction of a RockShox Dart3 or Tora 318.

I think for me, it's going to be easier to upgrade a few things than to save up and buy a brand new bike. Now, if I could sell the HKeK....well that would be a different story.

Derailleurs are STX...

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Since you are just getting back in the saddle, I would just tune your bike up and ride it as is. Then, if you feel you serious about riding, start saving money to buy either a new or used current bike.

Spending $200 here, $50 there, $100 here will quickly add up and you still will have parts that either need to be replaced due to age or comfort(Seat,tires,grips, etc)
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

Members who have read this thread: 0