mtbr member
    Jan 2009

New question here. Gary fisher Opie upgrade

I rode a couple trails in Utah with my brother-in-law summer of 2008 and got hooked on the sport. So… I hope to hit the trails hard in the summer and get a job at the local bike shop, consequentially this last Christmas I received a new, blue Gary Fisher Opie and unfortunately it does not have all things I want like disc brakes though I love the bike. What I’d like to do is start where I can, on the small stuff and work my way up all the way to "all-mountain" and then “downhill” riding but obviously for a newb I have to start small and work on technique and such first.

What are your suggested upgrades including brakes, forks, and everything else you would upgrade?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The frame seems nice enough to switch the RST fork to something more decent. Replacing rear and front derailleur to something like shimano lx or deore wouldn't be a bad idea, but I would not do that until your stock begins to fall apart. As for having a disc, I'd stick w/ v-brake if you are planning on buying a better bike later b/c it will have stock discs most likely.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    what fork would you suggest i am only 15 so i do have a budget, and what is your view on increase in suspension?

^ That's what I do
    Quote Originally Posted by smithsession8
    what fork would you suggest i am only 15 so i do have a budget, and what is your view on increase in suspension?
    You shouldn't increase your fork's travel beyond what your bike was designed for. According to Gary Fisher's website the Opie comes with a 100mm fork. You probably shouldn't upgrade to a fork with more travel than that. 120mm might be ok, but I'll let someone else comment on that. When you increase to a higher-travel fork, it places the headtube under more force than it was designed for, which can cause a failure. The RockShox Dart 3 would be a good upgrade. Wait until the other fork dies first.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper 29er (modified)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    because of my newbieness i am just wondering what you mean exactly, by when the other fork "dies." do you mean like break in half, or will it sag first or something and be deemed dead?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I would call it dead if was broke in half, bent, the shock doesn't compress anymore, becomes too soft, etc. BUT, and I really hope not to burst your bubble here, but the Dart 3 recommended above will not get you all mountain entirely, and it will definitely not get you into downhilling. The Dart series from Rock Shox is their entry level fork and is really only meant for xc. It will take some abuse though, I have a Dart 1 (only difference really is the Dart 1 has no lock out) and I weigh in at about 200lbs, and I've done some jumping and rough riding that it is really not meant for. I'm sure it will bite back sometime and I'm going to pay for it. The thing that I found out when I first got into this sport, it is EXPENSIVE! But if you really love it, you'll stick with it. I'm in college and I'm managing somehow to finance this sport. I gotta make sure my Wahoo doesn't die before I graduate though, otherwise I'm screwed! But good luck to ya man and keep at it.
    Bikes represent the mentality that the world is a place meant to be explored and enjoyed

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    what are the opinions on a 2008 Rockshox Tora 302 Coil U-Turn Suspension Fork , avid bb5 mechanical disc w/ 160mm rear and 185 front rotors?, and alligator cables and housing? any objections or opinions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The frame is awesome. I wouldn't bother with the BB5s, I would go straight to the BB7s. The BB5s are some of the worst brakes I've ridden/worked on. But the BB7s are freaking awesome, best mech disc brakes by far IMO. I would also recommend a rock/bash ring and remove the big chainring. That may require getting a different and better crank and BB set. Doing this will increase ground clearance are make it easier to get over things(logs, rocks, etc) on the trail. These are pretty nice for the money.https://bike.shimano.com/publish/con...-L.-type-.html
    the wheels should be upgraded. I run Sun Ringle Ditchwitch wheels and Sun Ringle Singletrack wheels. the Ditchwitch wheel are stupid strong and they don't cost that much at all.
    The GF tech guy said that the Opie can run up to a 130mm fork. I ran my Pike at 140mm when the bike was used for a trail/dual slalom bike and it was fine although the headtube angle was 65 degrees so it handled like...not good at slow speeds on the trail. The bike handles best with a 100mm fork. The tora is great fork and you will be very pleased with it's performance.
    I hope that helps.
    My Opie has gone through a few stages and It's ended up as this: my DJ bike
    Last edited by jonnyp; 02-02-2009 at 08:17 AM.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    I've got an opie myself and the frame has sweet geo for the all mountain catagory, I wouldn't say its particularly great at anything but its good for everything. I've pretty much upgraded every thing by now. I wouldn't say anything in particular is worth upgrading right away, I rocked the stock rst pos fork for the first three seasons on the bike until I snapped it in half so you've probably got a while on that.

At this point I would suggest going with BB7's (its the brake I use) and some new wheels. mine lasted only like half a season of heavy use until they had serious dents and were way out of true.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

OnTheTrailAgain
    Ride it till things break and replace as needed.
    One good way is to see what fits on your frame.

All Biggins Series frames are the same, so what fits on an upgrade bike in the line, should fit on you Opie.

If you fall in love with it, then get what's called a "build kit" like the ones at Adrenaline Bikes. You'll basically get every part to replace/upgrade your current bike with better components, but that comes at a price. Their $500. kit is basically what you have now, but their $700. kit comes with a lot of better components (hydraulic discs, XT/X7/X9 parts, etc...).

But, from reading your posts, I'd say ride it, enjoy it, learn on it, then decide on what you like. Also, try different types of riding (Dirt Jumping, Trail, Cross Country, All Mountain, etc...) to see what you like. You might want a totally different frame after you've gotten the time to experience other types of riding.

While I'm working on getting a Full Suspension bike now, I will keep my Opie.
    I love it. I'll built it up, but it won't be my only bike because for the type of riding I do,
    I need a full suspension bike.

Good luck and have fun.

MTBR Member
    Try to find a Tora 318 U-turn fork. It will perform better and it does not cost much more than the 302.

http://www.treefortbikes.com/82_3332...th-PopLoc.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

build kit and fiting to your bike

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen
    Ride it till things break and replace as needed.
    One good way is to see what fits on your frame.

All Biggins Series frames are the same, so what fits on an upgrade bike in the line, should fit on you Opie.

If you fall in love with it, then get what's called a "build kit" like the ones at Adrenaline Bikes. You'll basically get every part to replace/upgrade your current bike with better components, but that comes at a price. Their $500. kit is basically what you have now, but their $700. kit comes with a lot of better components (hydraulic discs, XT/X7/X9 parts, etc...).

But, from reading your posts, I'd say ride it, enjoy it, learn on it, then decide on what you like. Also, try different types of riding (Dirt Jumping, Trail, Cross Country, All Mountain, etc...) to see what you like. You might want a totally different frame after you've gotten the time to experience other types of riding.

While I'm working on getting a Full Suspension bike now, I will keep my Opie.
    I love it. I'll built it up, but it won't be my only bike because for the type of riding I do,
    I need a full suspension bike.

Good luck and have fun.

I'm sorry i don't understand what your saying here if you could elaborate a little and direct me to a website that would be wonderful. and i'll definetly try different riding styles but i like the crazy i'm currently building a little pump track out back of my house.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman
    Try to find a Tora 318 U-turn fork. It will perform better and it does not cost much more than the 302.

http://www.treefortbikes.com/82_3332...th-PopLoc.html

what features does it have compared to the 302?

OnTheTrailAgain
    I'm sorry i don't understand what your saying here if you could elaborate a little and direct me to a website that would be wonderful. and i'll definetly try different riding styles but i like the crazy i'm currently building a little pump track out back of my house.

Well, I'm sorry if I got too technical.

Here's a board you might enjoy reading if you haven't already.

If you use the Opie for jumping with occasional trail riding,
    your going to have a blast on it!

Then, if you find yourself wanting to ride trails more,
    you can try riding a full suspension bike.

But, nowhere is it written that you "can't" have more than one bike!

OnTheTrailAgain

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

MTBR Member
    what features does it have compared to the 302?
    Well the 302 is basically a beefed up version of the Dart series. It uses the same damper as the Darts and the only significant difference between the 302 and dart series is that the 302 has 32mm stanchions(upper exposed tubes of fork) whereas the Dart series come with 28mm stanchions. The bigger stanchions on the Tora series provides for a stiffer fork.

Now between the Tora 302 and Tora 318 models...the 318 and 302 are almost identical, but the 318 model comes with motion control. The same motion control damper that is in some of rockshox' higher end models. This just gives the fork a little more tunability to customize it to the terrain you ride. Take a look at this thread too...http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...highlight=Tora

and here is a one for $209...http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...SION+FORK+2008

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    what are some decent shinkillers for my bike? i can't seem to find decent steel sithout it being like 100$ or so

MTBR Member
    what are some decent shinkillers for my bike? i can't seem to find decent steel sithout it being like 100$ or so
    Shinguards, right? Not fun cutting your legs up on flats...

Here are some reviews on different shinguards - Shinguard reviews

and JensonUSA seems to have some good deals on them..JensonUSA Shinguards

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    sun ringle zuzu's
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Just to clear things up i actually wanted to know about the build kits i was confused about them and for all who are reading this post i'm not on a opie 24 (dj bike) but actually a entry gary fisher opie it currently is stock and i'm upgrading so before any upgrades it looks like-a-so

http://www.fisherjapan.com/bike/mode.../bigimage.html

just to clear a little bit up for you

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have the same bike.

I have been riding dirt on a bmx bike for years and years. I took a break, felt the urge to start again and my wife pointed out that i may be to old for a 20 in. I picked up the opie not because it was cheap but because of the frame. and its similarities to a bmx bike.

I have not had a ton of problems other than i am ready to upgrade forks. and could possibly have gone a size smaller. This is a fun starter bike.. Then again like you i am a "noob"

Members who have read this thread: 0