Front tire recomendations?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Front tire recomendations?

Hi, I have giant xtc0 with continental 2.1 speed king tyres. My back tire is almost gone about ~30% left. So I want to put my front tire on the rear wheel and buy a new tire for the front. I believe the main problem is that on corners I don't get a lot of tracktion going on and I'm always afraid that my front tire would just skid.
    Mainly I ride dry hard ground with some random loose bits, easy up hills and downhills. What impact does the width of the tire has for cornering?
    What would you suggest for under 25 pounds?

T.W.O
    If your not running tubeless, 25 lbs is really low. The width of the tire does just exactly what you would imagine it would do.. gives you a large traction surface. 2.35 front and 2.1/2.2 combo in the back is good for just all around trail riding. I personally have a Panaracer Rampage 2.35 on my bikes and it is great for cornering. Doesn't weigh that much either... only 700g
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I ment the budget of 25 pounds..
    Sorry for that

mtbr member
    You have so many options but the speed kings make a awful rear as far as lasting. I personally like the speed kings alot but they don't last. The Schwalbe Rocket Ron, Continental race king, Schwalbe Racing Ralph. are all good. Take a look at bikeradar.com and look up tire reviews. They give great reviews on lots of tires.

local trails rider
    One thing about front tyre traction is: you need to have some weight on the tyre.

Sometimes people put all their weight on the rear because they fear that weight on the front will make the front tyre wash out. More commonly, the opposite is true.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hmmm I haven't thought about that. Normally my mass is in the center of the bike. And another quicky 2.4 in front isn't an overkill?

local trails rider
    I run 2.4" front and rear...

2.1" and 2.4" would be an uncommonly big difference but I am not sure it would cause problems.

BTW Tyre companies measure their tires in different ways. I know for a fact that a 2.4" Continental Mountain King is not the same size as a 2.4" Schwalbe.Fat Albert.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

T.W.O
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted1 View Post
    900g tire is pretty heavy
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90 View Post
    If your not running tubeless, 25 lbs is really low. The width of the tire does just exactly what you would imagine it would do.. gives you a large traction surface. 2.35 front and 2.1/2.2 combo in the back is good for just all around trail riding. I personally have a Panaracer Rampage 2.35 on my bikes and it is great for cornering. Doesn't weigh that much either... only 700g
    It's a solid advice, I'd take his point.

If you want more traction tires like Rampage, Nevegal, Excavator are good choices.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    +1 on the Nevegals

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Not sure if its gonna be under 25 pounds... Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35 or 2.5 is gonna be your best bet on a front tire. They do run narrow, 2.35 is about the same as a 2.1 and 2.5 is closer to a 2.3-2.4. These tires usually out perform others...read up on bikeradar and other sites and you'll see. Around 700g for the single ply.

mtbr member

Fat-tired Roadie
    I really like the Panaracer Dart Classic. It's relatively inexpensive, even in the folding version, which is the one I like, and I love the way it corners. It also rolls fast. I think it's a little easier to lock it up under braking than something with a less elongated tread, but with good technique, it's more than adequate for that too. It should be a good match for a racey 2.1" rear tire.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zmogedra View Post
    Hi, I have giant xtc0 with continental 2.1 speed king tyres. My back tire is almost gone about ~30% left. So I want to put my front tire on the rear wheel and buy a new tire for the front. I believe the main problem is that on corners I don't get a lot of tracktion going on and I'm always afraid that my front tire would just skid.
    Mainly I ride dry hard ground with some random loose bits, easy up hills and downhills. What impact does the width of the tire has for cornering?
    What would you suggest for under 25 pounds?
    I assume you want something under 800 grams? If so, there are a number of good option weighing in between 700-800 grams.

I could list some options, but you will do better to go look around the Wheels and Tires board, and find loads of opinions.

To answer your question about tire width, I do think that larger tires have an advantage in the front. The biggest thing is being able to run lower pressure which helps in grip and offers some extra small bump compliance (which also adds to grip). Additionally, I find wider tires generally are more stable in the rough, getting deflected less easily (lower pressure adds to this strength).
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.