Front derailer problem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Front derailer problem

Hello,
    The front derailer is having problem chaining gears, I have fixed the issue for the most part. The thing that I don't understand is the shifter for the 3 gears by the crank set will only switch one time. So you can only move two the second gear and no way to move to the third. The gear shifter shows three places so you can tell what gear your in. Yet not matter what i change i can not get the shifter to switch gears twice only once. Does anyone know how to fix this?

~Disc~Golf~
    high limit screw too far in or cable tension not high enough
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Adjusted both of these multiple times. It is like the shifter cable isn't tight enough maybe around the housing but i cant find any information on how to fix this.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by jerichobrown
    Adjusted both of these multiple times. It is like the shifter cable isn't tight enough maybe around the housing but i cant find any information on how to fix this.
    does this help?
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Enthusiast
    If you disconnect the cable at the derailleur, do you then get two clicks on the shifter?

When your chain is on the middle ring, does your gear indicator point to gear #2?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    If you disconnect the cable at the derailleur, do you then get two clicks on the shifter?

When your chain is on the middle ring, does your gear indicator point to gear #2?
    I cannot get the shiffter to move into the 3rd position connected or unconnected. If I manually move the chain to the middle gear it does not change the shifter position. The derailed will not move it to the gear

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by jerichobrown
    I cannot get the shiffter to move into the 3rd position connected or unconnected
    Shifter pod problem.

Sometimes you can get them to start working again by flushing with WD-40, followed by Tri-flow or some other oil after it dries.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Enthusiast
    Try what AndrwSwitch suggests. The derailleur is irrelevant at this point. You need to sort out the problem with your shifter first.

How old is your bike? What brand model shifter do you have? How long ago did it work as it should?

Are your cables clean and not gunked up? Recently I worked over a bike on which one of the shifters or brake levers -- I forget which -- would not work until I replaced the badly rusted, kinked, and gunked up cable.

Members who have read this thread: 0