mtbr member
    Sep 2012

fresh tube flat before riding??? what the hey?

Ok...i dont like my new bike much...but want to try to get used to it.

Tire went flat last week...of course i had forgotten to get a spare 29 tube when i got the bike. So monday (i live over an hour from town...so went when i went to work next) i took my tire to get a new tube and buy spare.

Bike shop put on spare and i went home. Due to crazy long commute..and taking long lunch to get tire straight on monday...no ride. Raining tuesday no ride. Bust my tail to get home in time for a thirty minute ride today and pull tire from back seat and.....tire completely flat. I unseat the rim to start a replacement and the tire has a ten inch tear/split in it. Tire bead looks frayed too.

I did nothing to the tire. Did not touch it with a tool...how does this happen...and should i just quit even trying?? I am so overly frustrated i want to cry...all i want to do is ride and that seems constantly a problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You should not quit trying! Flats and busted tires are a regular occurrence - I know it's frustrating but you'll get used to it. Sounds like you already know how to change a tube. Head over to the shop and pick up a new tire. I know it sucks having to spend money right away like this, but rest assured side wall tears are not nearly as common as flats. They can happen when the tire brushes up against something sharp - a rock for example. Some tires have thicker side walls than others.

It sounds like the tire was shot even when you took it to the shop the first time, since you hadn't ridden the bike after you were there. I don't want to question the competence of your mechanic, but you probably should if they didn't notice a foot long tear in the side wall while changing a tube. They should have, at the very least, run their fingers along the inside of the tire to check for thorns.

This sounds like an unfortunate series of events. Don't let it get you down .

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sorry...didn't explain it well....the tube had a 10 inch tear/rip...the tire itself doesn't appear hurt except the fact that the bead area looks frayed/delaminated. I accept flats on the trail, but sitting in my car...not so much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I also hadn't even ridden it much before it got the flat...under 20 miles...so i can't see how i could have damaged a tire (thorn puncture excepted) so quickly.

Terrain Sculptor
    Tire held air while you put it in the car? If so, I'm stumped because it sounds like the shop split the tube putting it on. It wouldn't have held air with that big of a tear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

Chamois Dropper
    Sounds like the bike shop was in a hurry and pinched the tube between the bead. Sounds like its a pain to get to the shop, but they should re-do it for you, IMO.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I use a 26x2'1-2'5 tube for front and rear 29er tires. They stretch fine. I haven't had a pinch flat in quite a while and only one on these 26 tubes with heavy riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I kinda think they pinched it too... the tear was straight except for one part that was funky looking like an oval flap cut in it. It is a pain since i already drive over an hour each way to work...plus work 10 hour days...only get thirty min for lunch...so when i run an errand like this, i work late which means i dont have time to ride before it is dark...sigh.

Terrain Sculptor
    Definitely buy yourself a few tubes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

Vincit qui patitur
    I had the same issue with flats a few weeks ago. I threw my hands in the air and said enough is enough. I went Stans Tubeless conversion and have never looked back.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2017 Salsa Powderkeg
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29 C R

no trees are safe
    Sounds like a manufacturing/installing defect to me. Tube has probably blew up when you weren't around. If I were you I'd buy a set of new tubes, a patching kit and I would learn how to use it. It takes about 5-10 minutes to fix a flat tyre and it's BS to throw out a tube after only 1 flat... Heck I had tubes that were spotted like ladybugs before I tore off the valve/ something similar happened.

Save Jesus
    maybe it overheated and blew up coz you left it in a hot car.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Been low temps here...not much more than 80 deg. I'm not in az...lol

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    here's my best guess as to what happened. a tube in that condition deflates immediately, there's no way the shop tore it like that...I'm betting there's still a thorn in your tire that caused the first flat, then punctured the new tube as well, or the shop pinched it with a tire lever. that hole created a weak spot and while the tire was slowly deflating in your car the tube gave way and ripped. strange, but I guess its possible.

either way shame on the bike shop for not checking the tire with his hand, as we all have learned to do the hard way, and/or using tire levers!

bottom line, run your hand along the inside of that tire before you put in another tube. and do it yourself. bare handed. its best to learn and practice in your living room instead of out on the trail.

Parking Lot Poser
    Doesn't seem likely that it was installed incorrectly, and then ends up with a tear of that size.

A hole in the tube that size I would look for a hole in the tire. Look carefully at the bead where it looks frayed.
    If not; Was the tire on the rim 100% when u took it out of your car? As stated above could've overheated and blown off the rim.

If not it could have just been a defective tube....

Save Jesus
    10 inch tear comes from a blowout, not punctures or pinching

mtbr member
    I had the same issue with flats a few weeks ago. I threw my hands in the air and said enough is enough. I went Stans Tubeless conversion and have never looked back.
    Do this.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

Save Jesus
    I don't recommend beginners to use the Stan's tubeless system. (only thing I would condone is usr/tlr tire on ust/tlr rim)

The main reason is that if they do, soon there will be a thread on mtbr about how they can't get this tire on, or why did this tire blow off, or how come I keep losing pressure, or ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by qhgirl View Post
    I kinda think they pinched it too... the tear was straight except for one part that was funky looking like an oval flap cut in it. It is a pain since i already drive over an hour each way to work...plus work 10 hour days...only get thirty min for lunch...so when i run an errand like this, i work late which means i dont have time to ride before it is dark...sigh.
    The oval flap is where the tube was pinched between tire bead and rim, the big split is from when the tube lifted the bead off the rim and then burst. The mechanic was in too much of a hurry and didn't make sure the tire was seated properly. That coupled with the fact you left it in your car on an 80* day-if you have to park out in the sun, the interior can easily get to 120* or more. I'd surely b*tch out the shop and demand a new tube and tire because the bead is now damaged. This is the most basic job a shop mechanic has and even the 14yo apprentice should be able to install a tube without screwing up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am going to take the tire back to the bike shop today. Unfortunately, based on my prior experience with them.. I am not holding out much hope for them replacing my tire.. I am sure they will say it is somehow my fault. In fact, they did not give me back the tube that had a pin hole in it when I brought it in.. (I have patched tires before.. so it would have been at least a decent spare). Unfortunately, I am starting from scratch getting rigged up with everything.. and I hadn't bought spare tubes or patch kit when I got the bike... shop didn't suggest any of that either.

I actually never really had too many flats when I used to ride.. but I think we were using those tires that had some slime in them.. so that probably helped. I asked about that at the bike shop.. they said they don't carry that any more because it just gums up the stems. All I know is it would have probably "fixed" the first thorn hole (assuming that is what it was).

I swear, I feel sick thinking about having to try to get them to fix my tire again.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Nah, don't think so much about it. In the end it's probably a fluke thing. Order a few new tubes from an online source, replace it and go ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It has nothing to do with the temperature in your car.
    For car tires with much more volume, the rule of thumb is add 1 psi cold pressure tire pressure to compensate for each 10 Fahrenheit temperature difference.
    So if your tire was 40 psi at 60F when it was filled, at 130F it would be 47psi - hardly an issue. And with the smaller volume of a bike tire, I'm wouldn't expect the 1psi rise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Nah, don't think so much about it. In the end it's probably a fluke thing. Order a few new tubes from an online source, replace it and go ride.
    Agreed,

Just order a couple extra spare tubes and maybe some green slim. If you want some added insurance, slice open a set of old tubes and insert a new tube. This will add an extra layer of puncture protection...just make side to run your fingers along the inside of the outer sliced tube checking or thorns etc before installing the new tubes. I used to do his back in my early BMX days before Teflon strips and it worked great.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by big-daddy-59 View Post
    The oval flap is where the tube was pinched between tire bead and rim, the big split is from when the tube lifted the bead off the rim and then burst.
    There's your answer. Long splits are from bursts as has been said. Even without a temperature difference a pinched tube is going to let go at some point. I'd skip going back to that shop, mail order some tubes and get it done yourself. Sounds like your shop is full of hacks.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I did go back and make them redo it today.. they also put a new tire on it no charge. I now have 3 tubes and a patch kit plus tools to change it.. so I won't have to go back to them. I just figured I would get them to fix this one because they hadn't gotten it right. (and changing a tube shouldn't be all that big of a deal for a shop that does tons of them). I am sure they were just rushing the other day and that they were more careful today since it cost them a new tire and a tube.

Picture Unrelated
    I did go back and make them redo it today.. they also put a new tire on it no charge. I now have 3 tubes and a patch kit plus tools to change it.. so I won't have to go back to them. I just figured I would get them to fix this one because they hadn't gotten it right. (and changing a tube shouldn't be all that big of a deal for a shop that does tons of them). I am sure they were just rushing the other day and that they were more careful today since it cost them a new tire and a tube.
    It does happen, we've all done it I'm sure. Just make sure that every single time you change or repair a flat that you identify what caused the flat (usually by inflating or inspecting the tube) and fixing what caused the flat before you put the new tube in.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

the discerning hooligan
    Long straight tear can also be a bad tube/ seam splitting.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    I agree with the defective tube theory or a burst. A wrap of duct tape around the inside of the rim over the spoke screws also proves to protect well. I also agree with doing it yourself, its most important especially if you find yorself flat on the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    This is a perfect example why I prefer to buy from an LBS. My local LBS would have done the same. As a matter of fact, the next morning after I bought my bike, I had a flat, my fault (I have thistles in my yard I forgot about), but they did it on the house as a courtesy. I was so happy, I decided to save a little time and bought some gear I needed from them instead of saving $20 getting it online and having to wait for shipment. A good LBS recognizes courtesy goes both ways.
    They call me non-sequitur

Members who have read this thread: 0