Is the frame worth the upgrades?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

New question here. Is the frame worth the upgrades?

Hey everybody,

I'm looking to get myself my first real mountain bike very soon but the weather has been holding me back . Anyways I want to get the new Trek (Gary Fisher) Wahoo but I am wondering if after a few years, would there be any sense to buying better components for it (like a fork for example)?

Thanks

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    I have a feeling if you end up really liking mtbing that you will want to replace the fork within the first few months. The components on this bike are pretty low end but it would be a good first bike. If you decide you don't like mtbing than at least you didn't invest too much into the sport. It is always a toss up whether too buy a bike with better components or upgrade the bike you have. If it were me I wouldn't invest too much into a bike like that. Ride it till you out-skill it and then spring for a decent full suspension.

Picture Unrelated
    The Wahoo is a great bike to start with, it has durable enough components to last you for a while. Until you get a feel for bikes and what kind of trails you'll likely be riding, then it doesn't make sense to upgrade anything. I would ride the hell out of the Wahoo (or whatever bike you get) and start thinking about what your next bike might be as you gain more experience.

I rarely suggest upgrading parts on an entry level bike. The only time I would buy new parts is to improve the contact points (grips, saddle, tires) and if you break something. You get a lot more from your money by buying complete bikes, that way you are using the buying power of the manufacturer.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Members who have read this thread: 0