mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Frame Warranties?

I was wondering, are frame warranties transferable? I'm guessing it varies from company to company. I was wanting to know because I've seen some nice bikes online for a good deal, but was worried that if I buy them second-hand, the frame warranty wouldn't be any good. For my first new bike, I'd like to have the the piece that if the frame cracks, it'll be replaced.

Former Bike Wrench
    For the most part...warranties are for the original purchaser and require an original sales receipt (I used to be a warranty manager for a few bike shops)

Rod
    mtbr member
    I agree with mtnbiker72. Everything that I have read has basically stated that the warranty is for the original owner of the bike. Used bikes can definitely be a deal, but you can't ignore this topic. The real question is, Are you willing to take the risk? I've owned a used steel hardtail for a year now and so far so good. If it does fail/crack I'll transfer the parts to another frame.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ya, that's what I figured. Most warranties are non-tranferrable (cars, electronics, etc.) but I thought I'd check just in case. Don't think I'm willing to risk that right now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The only manufacturer I know of, that transfers the warranty, is Merida (not marketed in North America). Some dealers offer crash replacement program, that may be valid for second hand frames as well - that is, replacing the frame not for free, but still at a discounted price.

REALLY?
    The only company that I know of with a transferable warranty is a BMX company called Standard bykes (made by Waterford cycles) but now Standard makes frames in-house now, so I'm sure the warranty has changed.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Members who have read this thread: 0