Thread: forks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

forks

I have a gary fisher tassajara with a pilot rockshox fork. Looking to upgrade without breaking the bank. I have been looking at the rockshox tora, there seem to be two models. One looks like spring only, the other has air. What are your recomendations? Is the air adjust better? Would consider other forks around the 250-300 dollar range. I just have heard that tora was a good fork. Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just installed a RS Recon 351 solo air. I was a bit apprehensive about the air fork instead of coil because I had never really ridden on one. First impressions are great. It is pretty adjustable with the motion control, rebound setting, and a good shock pump. And I love the way it feels right off the bat. Buttery. You could probably pick one of those up for around 300 online.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by calvus
    I just installed a RS Recon 351 solo air. I was a bit apprehensive about the air fork instead of coil because I had never really ridden on one. First impressions are great. It is pretty adjustable with the motion control, rebound setting, and a good shock pump. And I love the way it feels right off the bat. Buttery. You could probably pick one of those up for around 300 online.
    I second that if you can find a good deal on one. It's not real light but they are tuff, and a very good value. Keep a close eye out maybe you can find a 07 reba for a good price!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    For the Tora, the air version is also about half a pound lighter.

I have seen new 07 Rebas on Ebay for a very good price, that's what I would do.

I have a Tora air-- great performer but heavy.

EDIT-- Noticed you are upgrading from a Pilot. The pilot is the predecessor to the Tora. My riding buddy has one, they are VERY similar. So I don't think a Tora would be much of an upgrade, assuming the current spring you have matches your body weight.
    Last edited by mbirds; 04-05-2008 at 03:02 PM.

C S
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbirds

EDIT-- Noticed you are upgrading from a Pilot. The pilot is the predecessor to the Tora. My riding buddy has one, they are VERY similar. So I don't think a Tora would be much of an upgrade, assuming the current spring you have matches your body weight.
    The Tora with Motion Control will be a significant upgrade from a Pilot. As far as I know, the only reason to choose the Recon over the Tora is weight.

To the OP, I would recommend a Tora given your budget. If you can find a Reba or Revelation in your budget, either one would be a more significant upgrade from the Tora than the Recon. If you do decide to get a Tora, make sure to get the model with Motion Control damping (318).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I will keep an eye on ebay and online suppliers for a shock. I dont really mind the pilot so much, but I think it has a leak. Seems when I pump it up, it loses a bunch when I unscrew the pump valve. Possible? I really love the frame geometry, plan on keeping it for a while, so was going to upgrade the fork when the opportunity presents itself in the form of a good deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    .. what pilot? my pilot was 80mm and 3.7 or 3.8lbs.. my tora 318 is 130mm and like 5.1lbs! kinda totally different fork. if its going on a bike that needs 80-100mm of travel, the toras pretty damn heavy.

mtbr member
    I have a Tora 302 air and love it. To me, it just feels great. It was easy to 'get to know' and I feel like I can always dial it for exactly what I want. That said, it's damn heavy compared to a lot of stuff out there but I'm not really a weight weanie anyway.

Former Bike Wrench
    I would agree that the one major downside of the Tora is weight...

Jenson USA has a Marzocchi XC600 for $229 right now, might be something to consider as a lighter alternative to the Tora

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I dont "think" the weight will be much of an issue. I am 220 lbs, that seems to be coming off pretty quick lately. I dont really ride too aggressive. I am still learing some tecnique, rocks, logs, etc.. So I am not going very fast. Just wanted input for the upgrade, so I dont have any regrets later. I suppose this is an item I should put as much money into as I can afford. The world of aftermarket parts is continuously changing, I want to purchase something that I can use for several years. I am riding quite a bit, having a blast, thats what counts. There will always be newer/better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If you're losing weight, an air model would be the most versatile, and you won't have to buy a heavy spring. I have the Tora 302 Air 130mm also, and it is a very robust fork. If the motion control damping that CS mentions is that big a difference, then the 318 may be worth the extra dough. FWIW, the *only* thing I don't like about the Tora is the weight. If I had to buy a fork right now I would spring for a Reba, but my bike came with the Tora and I plan to use it for a long time.

Members who have read this thread: 0