Fork and Component questions!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Fork and Component questions!

Hi all, I'm new here and fairly new to biking as well. I've ridden motocross and BMX for nearly 10 years and have now made the transition to the trails.

I picked up a Scott Scale 29er comp last year and have enjoyed every bit of it so far. However, I think I'm just about done with this fork. Any suggestions for something better in the $2-250 price range? How do I know what specs will fit?

Also I took a spill last weekend and destroyed the stock Alivio rear shifter. I've looked at the Saint M810 and it seems to fit my needs. Any reviews on this piece? Also will it work with my existing SLX rear derailleur?

Coming from BMX I'm traditionally a platform kind of guy. I'm pretty aggressive on the trails and can't see myself really getting used to a clipless setup. Any suggestion on platform pedals for a relatively cheap price? I'm also considering going to a single front gear since I find that I don't really use the smaller or larger front gear.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

-David

The cat's name is jake
    As far as replacement forks go, you'll likely be looking at a used fork for that price range for something substantially better. You might be able to find a Rock Shox Reba 29 or Recon 29 in that price range if you are patient.

The Saint 810 shifter (9-speed) should work just fine with your rear deraileur, though it isn't cheap if bought new. If you had a limited budget, I'd put more into the fork, and less into the shifter pod, if the pool of money was set.

DMR makes a few inexpensive pedals, as does Welgo. I can't say as I'm overly familiar with them, however. One of my all time favorites is the Tioga MX, but I don't think that pedal is made anymore. You might find it used somewhere. I'm not sure what relatively cheap is to you (different for everyone). You can usually pick up some Redline platforms for less than $15 full price at the LBS. I've used them on a few commuter setups, and they aren't too bad, considering how incredibly cheap they are.

For a 1x9 setup, you'll want some sort of chain guide on the front. Doesn't have to be fancy, but not having one will cause the chain to derail off the chainring at the worst possible moment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the reply. Which fork would you recommend if I could spend another $150 or so?

Just got back from the doctors and I guess I cracked a few ribs on that last spill so I'll have some downtime to mod the bike before I'm back on it again.

Bite Me.
    You should be able to find a RS Reba or a Manitou Minute 29er in that price range ($300 +/-) used pretty easily. I prefer the Manitou myself. Any 9 speed Shimano shifter will work with your Shimano rear derailleur - SLX would be a good quality shifter for a good price. Finally, going 1 x 9 will call for some kind of chain guide/retainer if you're riding anything rough. Maybe just drop your big ring and replace it with a bash guard instead. Having that granny gear will come in handy on steep climbs and you won't need to cross chain so much. Hope you heal up - sounds like you're riding hard (but maybe not all that precisely yet?)
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

The cat's name is jake
    Quote Originally Posted by activ3 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Which fork would you recommend if I could spend another $150 or so?

Just got back from the doctors and I guess I cracked a few ribs on that last spill so I'll have some downtime to mod the bike before I'm back on it again.
    Sorry to hear about the ribs - I've been in that boat before! Good luck on your recovery. How'd the spill go down?

Like the other poster said, you might be able to find a closeout Reba 29 fork new for the extra dough. I've had good luck with RS forks in the last few years - good adjustments, reliable, decent to good suspension damping. Each fork comes in a variety of models - usually the one with the most adjustment of compression/rebound within budget is what I shoot for - travel adjust usually doesn't matter much personally to me.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat View Post
    You should be able to find a RS Reba or a Manitou Minute 29er in that price range ($300 +/-) used pretty easily. I prefer the Manitou myself............
    I'll take a New Manitou over anything Rock Shox. Had nothing but issues with both Rock Shox forks and rear shocks.

also maybe a X-fusion? think they got a model that is in that base price, and can probably get one last yr's model new, on sale..?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

The cat's name is jake
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    I'll take a New Manitou over anything Rock Shox. Had nothing but issues with both Rock Shox forks and rear shocks.

also maybe a X-fusion? think they got a model that is in that base price, and can probably get one last yr's model new, on sale..?
    That's too bad about the Rock Shox issues. I myself have had a pike 454 for a couple years now that has been just fantastic, as well as 2 lyrik forks, that haven't had any trouble what so ever. And they all have had a nice, useable adjustment range, fairly plush, and less brake dive than my 66.

I haven't heard much about the Manitou Tower as far as - that's their primary 29er fork, is that correct? Have there been some long term tests of that fork? I'd be interested to see if the Manitou can make a decent recovery.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by BungedUP View Post
    That's too bad about the Rock Shox issues. I myself have had a pike 454 for a couple years now that has been just fantastic, as well as 2 lyrik forks, that haven't had any trouble what so ever. And they all have had a nice, useable adjustment range, fairly plush, and less brake dive than my 66.

I haven't heard much about the Manitou Tower as far as - that's their primary 29er fork, is that correct? Have there been some long term tests of that fork? I'd be interested to see if the Manitou can make a decent recovery.
    Ya, the tower is the 29er line, it's just the minute renamed so people don't get confused I guess..?
    I've actually had less Manitou's than Rock Shox's because they worked, never once had any issues with them, never leaked air or oil. were WAY plusher than the Rock Shoxs. Used lower air pressures which I think helped in the lasting ability. I haven't played with the newer ones that are now using the dual air/coil spring setup but everyone I know who has one loves it for the most part. Only weird thing is they all ship with the soft coil and you need to blow another $25 to get a mid or heavier spring if you weigh more than the 150lbs (i think that's the rating) of the soft. kinda a pain in the butt to have to think about, but it's super easy switch from what I have seen.

The one thing I have noticed is that it seems lighter weight people seem to like the Rock Shox ride better, I think to carry the heavier rider with the Rock Shox you need to get he pressures so high the thing doesn't respond well to smaller bumps. The manitou's in general use a lower air pressure in their systems which seems to ride less harsh with people who weigh in the upper 100 to 200+ weight groups. Just a general observation.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    You should be able to find a RS Reba or a Manitou Minute 29er in that price range ($300 +/-) used pretty easily. I prefer the Manitou myself. Any 9 speed Shimano shifter will work with your Shimano rear derailleur - SLX would be a good quality shifter for a good price. Finally, going 1 x 9 will call for some kind of chain guide/retainer if you're riding anything rough. Maybe just drop your big ring and replace it with a bash guard instead. Having that granny gear will come in handy on steep climbs and you won't need to cross chain so much. Hope you heal up - sounds like you're riding hard (but maybe not all that precisely yet?)
    Thanks for the info. My rear derailleur is an SLX so I guess that shifter would suit it fine. I'll look in to the Manitou and see what I can find. I think the 1 x 9 setup would be ideal for me, and I do ride some rough stuff so I'll look in to a guide as well.

Yeah man I rode motocross for over 10 years, and last year my coworkers got me in to biking. I guess I kind of came in with the attitude that this couldn't be that hard, but I'm starting to eat my own words. On the MX track I didn't have to worry about terrain changes and different landing spots, lines, etc. I have the balance but like you said, not the precision yet. I'm used to looking far in to the next corner and not in to what's right around me.

Sorry to hear about the ribs - I've been in that boat before! Good luck on your recovery. How'd the spill go down?

Like the other poster said, you might be able to find a closeout Reba 29 fork new for the extra dough. I've had good luck with RS forks in the last few years - good adjustments, reliable, decent to good suspension damping. Each fork comes in a variety of models - usually the one with the most adjustment of compression/rebound within budget is what I shoot for - travel adjust usually doesn't matter much personally to me.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm watching a few on eBay now and I'll keep an eye open in the classifieds for something to pop up.

Man I've been having hell getting out of bed in the morning now lol. At the local trail there's a nice 4' drop to about a 60 degree decline with an immediate turn, and I usually have no problem hitting it and landing with the nose end setup for the turn. This past time I just overshot it, landed too far down, and the next thing I knew I had the wind knocked out of me and my buddies were getting a kick out of it haha. I definitely landed nose end first. My fork lockout no longer works, and the fork itself is very spongy now.

Bite Me.
    Hilarious! Heal up, the skills will come quickly.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Picture Unrelated
    Here's a current thread about flat pedals:

http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-cor...ls-761747.html

There's piles of other threads as well. Look for something with a big platform and replaceable pins, there are so many good options out there right now that you're bound to find something for a good price that will fit your needs.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

The cat's name is jake
    If you are hitting a lot of drops and the like, you may want something in a different range of forks than the Reba - something more like a Pike (though I don't know if they ever made a 29er version). An XC type fork isn't well suited to that sort of action - you need a little more beef in the front!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Plus one on the Minute, I have a 26 Minute expert and I love the thing, seems to never bottom out even on with the damper fully 'open' and 25psi (I weigh about 220~ geared).

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    If you are hitting a lot of drops and the like, you may want something in a different range of forks than the Reba - something more like a Pike (though I don't know if they ever made a 29er version). An XC type fork isn't well suited to that sort of action - you need a little more beef in the front!
    ya I agree,, if you are that kinda riding you might want to look at a whole different bike as the one you are riding is more XC based, wouldn't be surprised if you break something including the frame..?

Members who have read this thread: 0