Fork Bottoms out Easily- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Fork Bottoms out Easily

I did some searching and couldn't find an answer to my bottoming out problem; probably because it's too simple of a question.

I got an older GT on craigslist basically for free (package deal with a nearly brand new Specialized Myka (dirt cheap) for my girlfriend.)
    I ride a rigid Hard Rock now so I have 0 experience with suspension problems.

The Problem:The GT has a Rock Shox Magnesium 21 fork and the problem is that it bottoms out when I push down on it with medium effort.
    The only thing I tried was adjusting the preload knobs to make it as stiff as possible, but there was no difference. Why does it bottom out so easily?

I'm about to order a shock pump and just wanted to see if the air level is the problem or if it is probably the springs or something else?

I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't think those forks had air springs. Are there any exposed Schrader valves?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    no schrader valve. it uses a needle-type inflation hole. Is it ok to use a ball-needle and a floor pump to try and inflate it, or would that be too high volume for the shock?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Mag 21 was... 1993? Does that thing use a 1" threaded steer tube? I doubt you'll find any parts to rebuild it. Heck, I doubt you'll find anything to replace it either...
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

Members who have read this thread: 1