which fork- Mtbr.com

Thread: which fork

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

which fork

i am beginner i mostly ride in city and on roads some times i go cross country. My fork is crap so i have to decide between the RST gila with hydraulic lock out and Suntour XCT V2 with mechanical lock out. I know that this are entry level forks but only this two are in my budget. Some people said to me that the suntour is stiffer and it uses more of the 100mm and the RST is for harder people and uses less of her 100mm. Any advice?
    or maybe Dart 1?
    Last edited by nikola_bb; 02-23-2010 at 12:45 PM.

spec4life???..smh...
    dont even consider the "Rock Solid Trash" gila....

i had the suntour on my first bike and i thought it worked relatively well for what it was just heavy...

the only one i have no experience is the Dart 1 but it is made by rox shox which has a much better reputation than the other two..

Lurker
    i have the suntour xct v2. Its on sale on craigslist right now for 30$. If your doing just LIGHT cross country it might be ok, Dart 1 might be your best bet, less maintenance from what 1 hear.

Edit: more than likely youre gonna hear " just save your money and wait until you can get a better fork"
    Where the Sidewalk Ends
    "Its not a hobby its a way of life."

mtbr member
    Dart 1 is not a huge jump in performance. Save some more money and get a Tora.

Not going to find a better deal than this http://wheelworld.com/product/rocksh...r-oem-6895.htm

Just make sure your current steerer tube is at least 230mm, and it is only for Disc Brakes.

Tora 289 Coil http://wheelworld.com/product/rocksh...l-oem-6829.htm. Again double check steerer tube length before buying. This one supports V-Brakes and Disc.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    no chance for puting something better than this two because in my country bike can be stolen on every corner and better fork is just invitation for the thiefs also i dont need something very good i just need some decent fork for riding in the city and 3 times in year maybe not even 3 riding cross country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikola_bb
    no chance for puting something better than this two because in my country bike can be stolen on every corner and better fork is just invitation for the thiefs also i dont need something very good i just need some decent fork for riding in the city and 3 times in year maybe not even 3 riding cross country.
    How about a rigid fork like a surly 1x1? http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+1X1+Fork.aspx
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    Dart 1 is not a huge jump in performance. Save some more money and get a Tora.
    Yes.

No. You want the Tora 318.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Then buy a rigid fork and a fat front tire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    so the question is suntour or RST?

mtbr member
    None of the above there both crap...better off rigid in the city any ways. 3 times a year off road, you can totally do that on a rigid fork.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Neither. They're both a waste of money. Either save up for something which actually performs, or go rigid.

Lurker
    those are some hell of a deals that dremer posted, If youre on a tight budget i would definitely get the http://wheelworld.com/product/rocksh...89-coil-oem-68 .
    Where the Sidewalk Ends
    "Its not a hobby its a way of life."

mtbr member
    people arent kidding you, a solid rigid fork would be MUCH better, especially for the riding you're doing, than a rst or suntour fork!

i have *must* get a cheapo fork, get a dart. avoid rst and suntour like the plague.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    people arent kidding you, a solid rigid fork would be MUCH better, especially for the riding you're doing, than a rst or suntour fork!

i have *must* get a cheapo fork, get a dart. avoid rst and suntour like the plague.
    might help if we knew what the OP wanted to spend.

Dart 2 forks can be had for 80 dollars.

Personally for what your doing I would go rigid. I just bought a road bike just so I have a better bike to ride around in town. A Mountain bike with aggressive tires and a suspension is not the best bike for on the road use.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

too cold to ride
    Have had a little experience with the Suntour fork - it should be fine for the riding you describe.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

cougarbait
    +1 for rigid
    you can get a carbon mosso for $65 on ebay
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Just Ride !
    Suntour forks are good acually for the buck .. If your only doing "some" XC riding as you stated , i dont think you can go wrong

What is your price range ?

Fat-tired Roadie
    For me, between riding with a rigid fork and riding the RST Gila T6 that came on the front of my Hardrock, I'd much rather ride rigid, whether it's mountain biking or getting around town. Flexy forks make it hard to put your front wheel where you want it when you're off-road; rigid gives you a ton of control, it can just be more tiring if you're riding fast.

Can't speak for the Suntour. The Dart would, at least, have a more reputable company behind it but it weighs more than your bike frame, probably, and isn't tunable.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    my price range is 100$ but you must understand that the prices hear are double of the priceos of sites you show me for example the tora is 300$

mtbr member
    my price range is 100$ but you must understand that the prices hear are double of the priceos of sites you show me for example the tora is 300$
    Where do you live?
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Where do you live?
    Check his profile.

mtbr member
    CRC has a good selection of rigid MTB forks under 100 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...sion=PRICE_ASC
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Bike Addiction
    I had suntours on a Giant Rincon. The only way I could get much travel was to keep a lubricant on the forks or stanchions(did I spell that right). They were very sticky to say the least.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    another think i want to know. At the moment i am riding 19 inch frame. Before i was riding smaller frame and i felt more comfortabile. I saw swinn messa but it is 15 or 16 inch frame i am tall 173cm, is this suitable frame for me?

mtbr member
    Just off from your height and not knowing anything about the standover and top tube length of the frame I would say your to small for a 19 inch frame unless you have a tall standover and long arms.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    so with smaller frame i should not have problem? that is my conffusion

AZ
    banned
    Use this to figure out you fitting issues , start out with the right size .

www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html -

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    i ran into cheap dart 2. im am confused because the lock out does not work and on the lockout knob there is some oil. what is the reason?
    can this be repaired?
    can i drive it like that?
    people says that it is problem if it leaks on the down side not on the upper side

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Did you already buy it? Please tell me you didn't already buy it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    no no i didn't

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Good. Don't.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hi there it is me again. is the Marzocchi MX Pro 100mm better than the dart 2? should i buy it for 50euros?
    here is link from the actual fork
    http://www.pazar3.mk/ViewItem.aspx?itemId=729513

Members who have read this thread: 0