First Time Builder here- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... First Time Builder here

Just got my first frame today well it came with bars seat fork and crank also. Picked it up off ebay i know close to nothing about mountain bikes and i am looking to get into/have a winter ride other than my road bike (Giant Defy). I have ordered a 26 inch wheelset and tires from jensonusa i am wondering if this is a decent frame. i would love to get out and try out some trails this weekend. Any feedback would be nice.. also can i slap disc brakes on this frame or do i need adapters and such ?>
    Cheers
    JB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Time Builder here-dsc_1010.jpg  

First Time Builder here-dsc_1012.jpg  

First Time Builder here-dsc_1017.jpg  

First Time Builder here-dsc_1020.jpg  

First Time Builder here-dsc_1023.jpg  

Big Gulps, Alright!
    It's a basic entry level hardtail frame.

Note that the frame/fork are not disc compatible.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Why would you buy a frame off Ebay if you don't know much about mountain bikes? Out of curiosity, how much did you pay?

Not being terribly familiar with GT bikes, I used Bikepedia to research it and had some trouble narrowing down the exact year. I can say though that Manitou fork appears to be a later 90s model. It wasn't the original fork on that bike. The Aggressor line is a base, entry level bike that cost ~$350 brand new, depending on the year.

The bike is not disc brake compatible, although if you ever change the fork you can put discs in the front. Don't forget you will also need a rear derailleur, a cassete, and a chain as well. Not sure if that frame uses a rear derailleur hanger or not. You will also need some way to keep the chain seated on the front chain ring. Normally a front derailleur would accomplish this, but since it seems to be a single chain ring in the front you have a few options ranging from a bash guard/ Paul's Chain Keeper combo to something like the MRP 1X.

Alternately you can make it a single speed, which seems to have been what it was used as. That would save you from having to purchase a cable, housing, and shifter pod. But you'll have to figure out in advance what gear you want to run since you'll have to order the appropriate cog.

I guess I'm babbling on here a bit, but my point is that this frame needs a heckuva lot more than just wheels to work. I'm not sure the frame is worth enough to invest in, just IMO, except as a single speed.

And ditch the toe cages before you get killed!

mtbr member
    I have a cog to press into my rear tire and a chain tennisoner to hang where my rear derailleur should be, those are my only pedals i have that Are not clip less they are basically for test ride and thats it. i have to still gather a chain and umm thats it i am going to lbs to have cog pressed on and to pick up a single speed chain. i am going to slowly add a rear cassette and shifters as well as upgrading brakes to whatever i can. i am new to mountain biking not building bicycles

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbravo44 View Post
    i am new to mountain biking not building bicycles
    Some may find the thread title a little misleading.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've always liked gt frames, but like others have said, its going to be a decent chunk of money to build it with gears. if you're going single, that's cool... at the very least, you can upgrade the frame later if you get into it, you'll already have all the parts, just kinda sucks you'd have to go with new wheels (again) to go disc if you decide to. i don't know what all the fuss is about with disc brakes, most people i know who have them don't do anything that would require them. rim brakes are great if they're adjusted right, just like disc brakes can suck if they aren't. so yeah.. good luck you may have been better off getting a complete bike from bikesdirect.com since you already have the bike experience though, because buying a bike piece by piece adds up quickly.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    i don't know what all the fuss is about with disc brakes, most people i know who have them don't do anything that would require them. rim brakes are great if they're adjusted right, just like disc brakes can suck if they aren't.
    I agree, there's no reason to just go out and put disc brakes on something when V-brakes work perfectly well. If you want to upgrade something in the brakes, get Kool Stop brake pads and you'll stop better than any entry level disc brake.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Thanks All!!! i also needed a project i was driving my self insane without something to fidget with i am sorry if i was unclear about my level of knowledge i guess first time MTB builder and first time MTB rider lol woulld been a good title. i do plan a single speed to get me by for now and i am planning a 8 or 9 speed. i think i am gonna keep the v brakes i did by wheels that accept 6bolt disc brakes also so i think ill be covered if i choose to upgrade frame or forks. thank you all for your opinion and help.

Members who have read this thread: 0