First MTB advice ($1,500 +/-)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

First MTB advice ($1,500 +/-)

I'm looking to buy my first bike (recently moved from the city to the suburbs). Looking for something I can start riding trails on but also just casually around town with my kids since I will only have one bike for the time being.

I'm not overly price sensitive, but don't want to buy a crazy expensive bike as a newbie but also don't want to buy something I'll quickly outgrow. Was thinking round $1,500 +/-.

From some online research, I'm considering a hardtail and looking at the Kona Honzo, Specialized Fuse Comp (or maybe step up to Expert), Santa Cruz Chameleon. That's just from Googling. With COVID it's not easy to just pop over to a store to test drive bikes to see what feels best. I'm sure I'll be able to pick one and test it for fit. But probably can't go ride a bunch of bikes around, Particularly since lots of bikes are out of stock and need to be ordered from the manufacturers by the bike shops.

I debated a hybrid like a Canyon Pathlite, but it seems like those are mediocre at everything. I'm not planning long rides around town, so feel a mountain bike should be fine for that and will be very good for starting to get into some trail riding. Over time, I'd probably get a road bike and a full suspension assuming I get into it, but for now a hardtail seems like the way to go for just one bike,

Welcome any thoughts/suggestions anyone has on the ones I'm looking at or any others? Or suggestions on what things I should be looking for to narrow it down myself?

Thanks!

jcd's best friend
    Salsa Timberjack!
    Salsa Timberjack | Salsa Cutthroat | Cannondale Synapse Neo

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Salsa Timberjack!
    This would be a very good choice. 29 or 27.5.. It can do a variety of things. Singlespeed if you're crazy enough to try it, race it, bike packing, or a neighborhood ride. The slx version fits your price range.

mtbr member
    My neighbor's kid bought a Fuse Comp and he frickin loves it. Rides it pretty hard in 27.5+ mode on technical and jumpy terrain.
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Your riding is exactly the type of riding I do, 50/50 trail and gravel. I just a trail Hardtail and it does very well. On gravel I can easily and comfortably put in a 20/30 mile ride, on the trail it also works well. I am looking hard at the new fuse also, components and cost look good for my style of riding. From what Iíve heard they are hard to find though.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by tippmannrocker90 View Post
    Your riding is exactly the type of riding I do, 50/50 trail and gravel. I just a trail Hardtail and it does very well. On gravel I can easily and comfortably put in a 20/30 mile ride, on the trail it also works well. I am looking hard at the new fuse also, components and cost look good for my style of riding. From what Iíve heard they are hard to find though.
    Thx for the feedback. Yeah, unfortunately just about everything is hard to find and on backorder which makes testing a few different bikes difficult.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    For what itís worth, if I had to do it all over again I would have bought higher end from the start. I started with a Cheepo <500 then up from there and Iím sure I spent more on upgrades/loss of value reselling then I would have spent just buying something nice from the start

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Both the Fuse Comp and the Chameleon have current geo.
    I would go Chameleon for the adjustable rear.
    And the Fork on the Fuse Expert isn't something I'd pay up for. Nor the NX drivetrain.
    Fox 34 on the Chameleon. Competitive Cyclist has 20% off.

I'd do a build with a Manitou Mattoc Pro 120 fork and BTLOS Asym 35mm inner rim DT 350 hub Micro Spline wheels for Shimano drive. SLX crank, XTR shifter, rest XT. MT420 brakes.
    Comp Cyclist can work with that.

Overkill for your listed riding but you'd never need to upgrade no matter where you'll end up riding.

mtbr member
    Man, dont count out the newer full suspension bikes in that 1700-2000 category either if that is what you think you will eventually move to. There are some very nice bikes coming out in full sus that run right around that mark. One of them being the Vitus Mythique. Darn nice bike for the price!!
    Vitus

You also cant go wrong with some of the newer geometry hard tails in that price range. There are a lot of really good bikes out there these days!