First MTB :)- Mtbr.com

Thread: First MTB :)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

First MTB :)

I got my first mountain bike several months ago and am curious on thoughts and opionions. ( i know i cannnot spell so save me there k) its a trek liquid 20 bought it new from the trek store for get this 500 bucks. looked around and found a few used ones and a few on ebay that had sold for a grand or more very happy with my purchase.

i am a little heavy. 220 to be exact. what is the best way to firm up the front ( i know i can add air to the rear and did so) is there internal springs that i can swap out and if so who makes em where do i get em yadda yadda yadda. also is there anything i can change on the bike to make it better it currently has downhill pedels on it i want to switch to clipless but had to build up my confidence a little first.

what do you all recommend to do i have about 500 bucks in my budget to spend on this bike to make it better where do i start. i ride in ohio to give you an idea of my area to help you with your decisions.

Thanks

Muhuhahaha
    with 500 bucks I really don't know. If your looking at springs in the front call your local LBS they would beable to give you prices on what the springs would cost. You could change the pedels, if this is your first I would gett something not clippless and change to clippless later on.

Gravity Tester
    If you shop wisely. you could even replace the fork with an air sprung model. I've seen Manitou Minute 1 forks advertised for about 250.00. Don't frget that when you go clipless, you need a shoe budget as well.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornl1
    I got my first mountain bike several months ago and am curious on thoughts and opionions. ( i know i cannnot spell so save me there k) its a trek liquid 20 bought it new from the trek store for get this 500 bucks. looked around and found a few used ones and a few on ebay that had sold for a grand or more very happy with my purchase.

i am a little heavy. 220 to be exact. what is the best way to firm up the front ( i know i can add air to the rear and did so) is there internal springs that i can swap out and if so who makes em where do i get em yadda yadda yadda. also is there anything i can change on the bike to make it better it currently has downhill pedels on it i want to switch to clipless but had to build up my confidence a little first.

what do you all recommend to do i have about 500 bucks in my budget to spend on this bike to make it better where do i start. i ride in ohio to give you an idea of my area to help you with your decisions.

Thanks
    Since the bike is new, right now I wouldn't think on buying new stuff, probably keep part of those 500 handy for later. Ok, probably the clipless with shoes.

Also consider a Helmet (you can get any biking helmet, from 30 to 130 bucks, differences are only weight and looks, all protect the same), a hydration pack ("Outdoors" brand from K-Mart has some nice 2Lt ones for 40 or 50 bucks, Camelback's are nice, but more pricey). Some gloves (30 to 50 bucks, I think), a spare tube and multitools.

Just some thoughts.

There's no app for this.

totally agree

replace only what breaks, learn to know your bike well; then as parts fail, replace them with ones you know will improve your ride.

For spelling, my salvation is here.

good luck, Jim

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Be really cautious about moving to clipless pedals unless you are familiar with them already. Be prepared to crash a lot at first, at least that's what I did for the first month after getting them. Now I know when to pull my feet out in advance just in case and can reclip almost instantly when I need to. If I had to do it all over again, I would get combo clipless/platform pedals like the CrankBro. Mallet or Candy, or several of the Shimano pedals. With a good stiff shoe you can ride ok unclipped on a skinny pedal, but it would be a lot better with a platform support around the regular clipless pedal.

As for shoes, I've been riding with a pair of Diadora Geckos I picked up for about $50. Wow! Just checked Nashbar and they're on sale for $39. These shoes have been comfortable since day one and have not given me a lick of trouble. Probably the best thing I have bough for my bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    thanks guys i have a helment camelpak gloves tools and im already tubeless so there goes that got a patch kit though i found a Marzocchi Dirt Jumper III for 250 now all i was looking for a rear im am gonna keep my downhill pedals for now there blue to match the bike and nice and meaty what do you all think if the front fork heard good things on the review of it

thanks again everyone

Members who have read this thread: 0