first good bike- Mtbr.com

Thread: first good bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

first good bike

well yesterday the guy my mom is dating took me out trail riding and i have to say i had a blast even though all i had was my little Walmart bike so i guess its time for me to get a decent bike so what should i get im on a budget of around 500 bucks im 6 foot two inches and i weight about 260 pounds if that helps i would like a full suspension rig

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    you should be able to get a large size hardtail 26er in that price range.... or you could get a really nice hardtail used for the same money......a new full suspension bikes in that price range suck.... you might be able to find something used.... if you are just starting to mountain bike I would get a hardtail

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    i would but the thing is around me you get so much big air riding a hard tail sucks so much its just to dang bumpy would it even be worth just trying to upgrade the bike i have or would that cost more then its worth?

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by sameer745 View Post
    i would but the thing is around me you get so much big air riding a hard tail sucks so much its just to dang bumpy would it even be worth just trying to upgrade the bike i have or would that cost more then its worth?
    No, upgrading a walmart bike is not a great path to take. I assume since you say hardtails are too rough for your trails that your current bike is a full suspension walmart bike, as such I will warn that those components are not built for mountain riding (I think that the manual for the bike will say the same thing) even though it looks like it is. The shocks and shock mounts are thin metal and weak, the components are weak and in some cases not easily compatible with upgraded parts. The cost effective option is to ride what you have, spend only the money it takes to keep it running, and save up for your next bike.

As for the next bike; your budget is't likely to get you a full suspension bike unless you're very patient. A used bike is probably your best bet but you're still going to have to be careful. You need to know exactly what you're getting to make sure you don't buy something outdated or clapped out. Perhaps the person your mother is dating can help here if they are pretty decent on the mechanical side of things.

Don't discount a hardtail, and to be honest it's as good as you can do if you want to buy new. I would suggest, no matter what you decide on how to buy your bike, to go to your LBS and test ride some options. They can help you choose a frame size (super important to know if you want to shop outside an LBS) and you'll get a chance to ride a variety of bikes and even give a proper FS bike a try so you have a baseline of comparison.

And why shouldn't you rule out hardtails? Because Jinya:
    <iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/47757669?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0&amp;c olor=5a5a5a" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/47757669">Trail Boss</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/virtumedia">Virtu Media</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

I'm not trying to crap on your newfound enthusiasm, I seriously am not. I've just seen this exact scenario play out dozens of times and in the end the money you spend on keeping a department store bike running would be better spent on moving on to a more appropriate bike which will work better for longer. Again: ride your rig, save your pennies, test ride everything you can get your hands on.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    what would a nice hard trail be if i decided to go that route the main thing that scares me is there is alot of big air kinda like we went off a ten foot drop and that was probs the scariest thing i have done in my life i didnt even see it comming and i just think that would be hell on a hard tail

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You are always better off taking your time to learn a new trail. Search ebay for a Marin Bobcat 29. 20.5".
    It has an air fork that is necessary at your weight.

Picture Unrelated
    what would a nice hard trail be if i decided to go that route the main thing that scares me is there is alot of big air kinda like we went off a ten foot drop and that was probs the scariest thing i have done in my life i didnt even see it comming and i just think that would be hell on a hard tail
    I've been around here long enough that I still call references to your air time "pinkbike units". 10' is a foot and a half taller than a shipping container. 10' is higher than my 6' height plus my arm reach. I don't think you mean 10' drops. This is about 8': <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/usFd2AAjJKM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The big GLC drop is around 6': <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FUrjSH2zwxA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't think Earn 'em or Flying Monkey have any 10 footers on them: <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2RZ38CBITuA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm busting your balls a little bit, but it's for a good reason; you need to accurately assess your needs in order to choose the right bike. If you're seriously hitting 10 footers every time you ride you need to seriously up your bike selection to make sure you're not just throwing away a bike every year. You would need to be rocking a freeride bike not some normal trail bike. Perhaps you could find some youtube footage of the trails you're planning on riding? Where are you riding? What trails? What are they like? This is going to go a long way toward helping us help you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    i live in iowa so i ride up in the bluffs i guess it prob was only about a six foot drop just scared the hell out of me cuz i thought it was just a bridge then i was in the air lol and i guess its kinda alot like the first vidoe that was posted up above

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    the trail looks alot like this

ALL or Nothing - Full length film - YouTube

Picture Unrelated
    the trail looks alot like this
    I can't find any bike parks in Iowa so you're going to have to be more specific. That clip from "All or Nothing" is from a purpose-built bike park at a ski resort; I'm not awaer of any such operation in Iowa (doesn't mean there isn't one). Pretend I've never been to Iowa (I haven't been) and describe what you're riding. What is the name of the trail? What is the name of the city the trail is in? What is the name of the trailhead or trail system?

For example: I live in Utah. This trail is in Park City. The name of the trail, as I've been told, is Empire trail. Here is a video: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tHwE6uGWeFE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Can you narrow down where you are riding?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    im not sure if this trail even has a name i just know that this guy ownes the land so it might be just a private thing its about twnety minutes out of council bluffs Iowa in the bluff hills near waubonsie state park but not in the park

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    ya i just got off the phone with my mom and it is a private trail that he built himself

Picture Unrelated
    ya i just got off the phone with my mom and it is a private trail that he built himself
    I'm trying but I can't find any footage from the trail. This is odd in a compulsively over sharing time of existence. At any rate, you should try your best to match the bike you own to the types of trails you ride most frequently. If it's a big hit trail then you should really get a big hit type bike. What type of bike do people who ride that trail normally ride? That should be a good starting point of what kind of bike you should be looking for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    it was just him and he had a full susptention bike of some kind and no one else was there so i dont know

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Find out what he rides , ask him for suggestions , If you are doing 6' foot drops on a walmart bike ,you are asking to get hurt or dead .If you knew that the drop was coming would you do it again? What kind of riding would you like to do?Test ride ,demo ,borrow ,rent as many bikes as you can .

I'd rather be on my bike
    6 foot drops on a Wal-Mart bike will destroy that bike. Nothing about that bike is made for that type of riding. I would say that you are lucky that you didn't hurt yourself on that bike.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    if i knew the drop was comming i would do it again it was fun as hell just would have been nice to know it was there i would really like to have a bike that i can just do anything with and not really have to worry to much i dont think anyone around here really has any rental mountain bikes it mostly road bikes here anyway this is what he has

Giant Anthem X 29er 3

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can't get what you want at your budget. You will likely need to triple it for used quality in a fs, or go with a ht with an air fork.
    You will still be limited for jumping.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    went to the bike shop and rented a nice bike today and wow just wow i thought my walmart bike was cool it was gaint revel 2 2014 i took it on the same trail and it felt smoother on that hard tail then it did on the walmart bike if anyone has any other suggestions on bikes i should try to demo let me know

Picture Unrelated
    if anyone has any other suggestions on bikes i should try to demo let me know
    Everything. Ride everything you can get your hands on. Ride things in your price range, ride things slightly out of your price range. Ride a full suspension bike from a reputable manufacturer. Ride. Everything. You can.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    ummm what are they reputable manufactueers lol i am clueless

Picture Unrelated
    ummm what are they reputable manufactueers lol i am clueless
    Take a guess. What do you expect that to mean?

I'll provide a hint: the name of this website is Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    so i went to ride some new trails today this time i found the name of them it is banner lakes at summerset park had a blast and i rode a trek something or other i can remember had a blast

Picture Unrelated
    so i went to ride some new trails today this time i found the name of them it is banner lakes at summerset park had a blast and i rode a trek something or other i can remember had a blast
    Good, glad you're getting out. Try and find out what the bike you rode was, it will help you when you're trying to compare things later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I almost get a sense this guy is trolling you. It's like subtle, weird trolling.