Thread: First Bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

First Bike

hey everyone i could use a little direction. i do plan on going to my local bike shop but the more advice the better right. so my first bike, i also wanna get 1 for my girlfriend. couple points i wanna hit. is used just a horrible idea ? also theirs a concrete trail near us i wanna ride but i do want a bike i can get on some real trails with. is this an issue in regards to tires? from what ive read it seems like i wanna spend 300-600 any bike suggestions in this range? those and any advice when it comes to getting started in the sport would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    check out some hardtails, fisherbikes.com they make some in your price range, great bikes

I like bacon... (clyde)
    $300 will get you a very basic beginners bike that you will "outgrow" quickly if you start riding regularly. $600 is starting to get up into the mid-range hardtails, which you can probably ride for a long time and still be happy with.

First and foremost, what you want to look for is something that YOU think feels good to ride. I recommend you go to all the bike shops in your area and test ride all of their models that are around the $600 mark. The next thing you want to look at is the frame and fork. All the other components are secondary in this price range. Tires are easily replaceable, so don't consider them in your purchase.

You can either do some research by reading reviews or post here and get some feedback on what you find. Good luck!
    Bike: '08 Trek 6500
    Color: Oreo
    Delicious...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Used bikes aren't a horrible idea, but there are a couple of things to consider. First, when you buy a used bike, you never know how the previous owner treated it, no matter what they may tell you. And us being newbies, it's hard to see what may be a dent or scratch and what may be a much more serious crack or crease. Second, most warranties that come with a new bike don't transfer if the bike is purchased used. That's something worth considering, because if you buy the bike and the frame cracks 6 months later, you're SOL.
    On the upside, you can find good deals on bikes that would normally be out of your price range.
    In all, Spyder made some good points. Test several bikes in your price range, and see what fits. The one that feels the best is the right one.

mtbr member
    in the price range ur looking at i would go with a hardtail... u can always find used bikes for fairly cheap...i just got into biking and over the summer i picked up a santa cruz bullit with XTR components for 600 bucks and its been an awesome bike for me so far, but if u buy used u dont get the factory warranty.. however if u are looking for a ds bike in that price range sports authority and places like that have some K2 bikes there...fyi though...a buddy of mine bought one of those, but he ended up upgrading a lot of parts and overall was probably in it like 1000 bux...and two months later he went and bought a specialized enduro...id go with what Spyder said though and go and try some bikes out and see what one feels good to you

Probably drunk right now

Bike Fit...

The most important part of purchasing a bike is the fit. Test ride as many bikes as you can from multiple shops and figure out which bike "feels" right to you. Do not decide on a brand because someone says they're best, great, etc.

Do not shoehorn your GF in to the same brand, model, etc. because you're getting a
    "deal". Fit is the most important aspect of purchasing a bike. The bike she likes may not be the bike that you like and vise versa.

I would suggest not buying used. Buying used is fine if you're experienced, you know specically what bike, size, etc. If you don't know what type of bike fits you best, a good local shop will help get you get the right bike for you, get it sized properly and get you set up with a helmet that fits properly, etc.

I like bacon... (clyde)
    ^^^ good points. Another thing about buying used bikes is that you have to be ready and willing to do all of your own repairs or pay out the ass to have the LBS do it. Also remember that if you break your frame, you're completely SOL.
    Bike: '08 Trek 6500
    Color: Oreo
    Delicious...

mtbr member
    I would never bike a used mt. bike. they take a lot of pounding. Even urban riding off of curbs etc.

Most LBS will give you some sort of free check ups. The one I go to gives a life time free check up. Also get the correct fit. and riding gear. padded shorts help a lot and a helmet will save you life. My helmet save me!!!

As for hard tail. I did test ride a Felt 720, it was a rocket and really nice fit and finish.
    I think it was in the 600 plus range. for 300 bucks you'll be gettin an entry level bike. they are all fairly heavy. probably in jthe 34 lb range.

Members who have read this thread: 0