First All-Mountain Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

First All-Mountain Bike

Hello All,
    Ive always been a fan of hiking and would like to start getting into mountain biking. I have been looking at different things and I need an all-mountain in the 700 and lower price range. Was thinking an Ibex (http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/IGN-SPT-Details.html) but would like to purchase from LBS. Is there something of similar quality and price i should look for in LBS? Dont really care if used or new, just would like good, quality, entry level parts. I checked out one LBS that had a 2008 specialized FSR for 1000$ but it didn't seem to have all the good things that the ibex does.

Also there is a giant trance 4 on sale for 750 at a LBS. but i haven't seen it in person yet.

Should i just stick with hardtail because im so new? Ive read both ways, some say its better to learn on a FS because you eventually will go to that.. others say the opposite..

Thanks for any and all help!
    Last edited by Kupo; 10-14-2008 at 06:14 PM.

mtbr member
    How much suspension travel do you need because you said "all-mountain" but you're looking at "trail" bikes. I dunno either there's a really blurry line between terminologies. I'll mention a bike from the couple of brand you talked about.. I know that a Trance Reign would be considered an AM bike as well as a Spesh Enduro or Pike.

KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not sure what bike for you to get, I would lean towards the Specialized or Giant. The Giant seems to be quite a bargain without looking at the details.

Don't know much about Ibex to say what to do there. I've seen lots of heated discussions about buying "internet" bikes and not supporting the LBS and the service you get from them. Not going there with this post.

Hardtail vs. FS? Well, I also lean towards getting your skills honed on a HT is the way to start, but I say that whatever gets you on a bike and on the trail, just do it!
    My car is red.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm looking for basically something to start me out in beginner trails, then maybe intermediate trails. trails being both up and downhill and over some rough terrain
    Is this all-mountain or trails? or xc?

Thanks
    Last edited by Kupo; 10-14-2008 at 08:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You will not be on beginner trails for a long time. I doubt for even a week. Right now you are just describing an XC bike. Now if you say that you wish to be able to ride UP the trails and bomb down some techno stuff with a few small to med jumps mixed in; that would be more all mountain, free ride involves mostly pushing up hills with long suspension, and downhill is chairlift, shuttle exclusive. You are looking for XC, as you are describing, if you have a BMX background and see yourself wanting to jump the bike more look for an All Mountain as your first ride. You can jump XC bikes too, but requires finess as componants are not made to be treated so rough for a long period of time.

I hope this helps, if you want more on some specifics, ask some more
    You Can't Triple Stamp A Double Stamp!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    okay so i need an XC.. should i get a FS or hardtail as a first? i was thinking of a giant trance4 since it seems to be pretty good.. Trying to get an FS that is cheap and doesn't bounce me all over the place due to bad back suspension. Otherwise will just get a good hardtail since get more bike for the money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That my friend is something I cant help you with. I ride a rigid Single Speed, and I kick myself in the balls every time I think of all the money I have spent on bike shizzy that I thought I needed, because I say everyone else with it. I made the jump to SS and do everybit of trail just as fast as my buds riding FS, it just a choice you have to make for yourself, and decide how comfortable you wish to be on the trail and how much you are willing to pay for it. I can say for sure that if you do not have a good chunck of change
    (1000 min) A good FS XC bike will be hard to find. Under that you end up with an ok bike at best, and hopefully it will not detract from your experience. Like I said this is up to you.
    You Can't Triple Stamp A Double Stamp!

Vita brevis
    A Giant trance or a Spez FSR for under a grand would be a good deal. If you plan to wind up on a full suspension bike, then you should start out on one. If you get one of these bikes, you will get your moneys' worth out of it while you figure out what you really want out of a MTB.
    Good luck and have fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rustus
    A Giant trance or a Spez FSR for under a grand would be a good deal. If you plan to wind up on a full suspension bike, then you should start out on one. If you get one of these bikes, you will get your moneys' worth out of it while you figure out what you really want out of a MTB.
    Good luck and have fun!
    Im going to call them tomorrow and see if they still have it avail..
    Hopefully ill get alot of use since i live in AZ and we have alot of trails

Giant Trance 4
    FEATURES

ALUXX SL BUTTED ALUMINUM FRAME WITH MAESTRO REAR SUSPENSION

SHIMANO 27 SPEED LX/DEORE COMPONENTS

MANITOU AXEL COMP 4" TRAVEL SHOCK

FOX RACING FLOAT R

ALEX DM18 DOUBLEWALL WHEELS

AVID SINGLE DIGIT 5 V-BRAKES

TRUVATIV FIRE-X ISIS CRANKS

SHIMANO CLIPLESS PEDALS

SLATE BLUE 20"

mtbr member
    how tall r u? 20" seems a little large if ur not over 6' tall

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ScareyH22A
    how tall r u? 20" seems a little large if ur not over 6' tall
    im 6'2" and 180lbs

bikepedia page
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...3036&Type=bike

mtbr member
    That Trance has the Maestro suspension. It rocks while climbing!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Go get a USED--GARYFISHER--a used Piranha, or Tessadra!!! I am 5'10 but I know I am not GOING OVER THE HANDLEBARS as Easily with the 'G2' Geometry.... Anyone Tall should definatley be on a GaryFisher!! And they warranty the frame for LIFE!!!(NOT USED THOUGH)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    specialized stumpjumper comp, 5 inch trail bike, light stiff strong comfy for going up or down, its not made for huge jumps or drops but it can go big enough for what it is, for me its a great do it all bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    specialized stumpjumper comp, 5 inch trail bike, light stiff strong comfy for going up or down, its not made for huge jumps or drops but it can go big enough for what it is, for me its a great do it all bike
    Specialized
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    $2,499.99

Little bit too much for a first bike but thanks, ill keep it in mind later

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Update:
    Pulled the trigger on this beauty

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Giant-Tranc...QQcmdZViewItem

Got it for 820+shipping because of the live.net discount

Members who have read this thread: 0