Finished my first build/beginner bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Finished my first build/beginner bike

Here is a picture of my first build. It is basically my first real mountain bike. I was shopping for a beginner MTB for less than $700. But everything in that price range was heavy with really low end components. Then I came into this frame for $20 and figured I would take my time building it up. It is nothing special just an old aluminum Supergo. But it was the right size and actually pretty nice quality. I only weigh 130 pounds and plan on mostly riding single track. So I wanted to build a simple, light weight hardtail. My original goal was $400 and less than 26 pounds. Well my final budget was a little over $500 because I had to buy a new wheelset. Also all of the items that wear out on used bike and need to be replaced are basically new on this build. Cables, housings, grips, wheels, headset, fork oil and so on are all new. I figured if I got something used I would have to figure in that cost of replacing worn out stuff.
    Overall I am really happy with the final product. I went for my first ride on it the yesterday and it was almost perfect. I didn’t really like the pedals and the derailers need a little adjustment. But most of the time it was all spot on. It shifts super sharp and quick. The brakes are great for my needs and the old forks actually work great. I am getting full travel out of them but never noticed feeling them bottom or feel bouncy. They simple work. I installed the spring for up to 180 pounds along with fresh Spectro 7.5 weight oil. I guess I got lucky with finding the right setup. Anyway, here is the setup I have. Nothing fancy or high tech. Just good basic parts from the clearance racks and used market.

Frame:: Supergo stripped to raw Al.………………………………..1654g
    Fork :: Duke- …………………………………………….……….1957g
    front Brakes :: Avid Ti ,noodles, bolts, pads- ………………………168g
    rear brakes:: Avid SD7 ,noodles, bolts, pads- ……………………….187g
    Cables :: …………………………………………………….300g ???
    Cassette :: 11-34 LX-……………………………………….……….. 390g
    Chain : shimano HG53 112 links……………………………………..287g
    Crankset :: XTR L+R with chainrings-……………………..……….. 678g
    Drive side-457g.
    Non drive- 221g
    Bottom bracket:: M952- …………………………...…………………215g
    Derailleur (Front) ::XTR………………………………………………109g
    Derailleur (Rear) ::XT- ……………………………………………….244g
    Grips :: Ritchey WCS………………………………………………………50???
    Handlebar :: Specialized 6 degree- …………………………………...155g
    Headset ::Cane Creek S3……………………………………………...125g
    Headset Cap/Bolt :: …………………………………………(37g)
    Pedals :: Free Wellgo SPD ?................................................. .....300???
    Seat Binder :: kalloy black……………………………………………..35g
    Saddle :: Selle San Marco ASP ide……………………………………..166g
    Seatpost :: 30.4 Al- Unknown…………………………………………...269g
    Shifters :: XTR with pods removed- …………………………………..368g
    Stem :: EA70 90mm……………………………………………………..150g
    Wheelset:: Mavic XC717/XT hub/XTskewer…………………………..1811g
    Front:…………………………………….758g
    Rear:……………………………………...931g
    Tires ::Hutchenson Scorpions……………………………………………1150g
    Tubes :: Performance ultra lights…………………………………………214g

The ones with question marks are a best guess. I didn’t get a chance to actually weigh them. All other weights are actual weights from a office/postage scale. The total bike as it is pictured weighs in at 24.6 pounds on my digital bathroom scale. I know it is not exact but it looks about right. I was planning on upgrading the almost 4 pound forks to a SID, seat post to a carbon and cassette to a XT. This should easily drop another 2-2.5 pounds off the bike.
    My original plan was to try to drop a few more pounds. But after riding it, it feels great as is, very balanced, light and responsive. I will probably just leave it as is and work on my riding skill and fitness. I still have some final fitting to do which is why the fork is not trimmed right. I want to play with some of the ergonomics a little to be sure I like the setup.
    Like I said, nothing fancy but for $500 and the experience of building it I am very happy.

bi-winning
    That's a great value!
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    GOODJEEZLOUISE!!...nice....very very nice first build...

stunned i tell ya....stunned......
    Click Here for Forum Rules

meow meow
    for $500 that is sick!

AZ
    banned
    What an awesome job . Like to see what you could do with a grand .

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the kind words. I was hopping for some form of approval but I didn’t really expect such a positive response. I figured someone would crap on it for the frame and fork not being cutting edge. Although a lot of it is XTR and XT most of it is a generation or two old. It still works great but it is not the latest greatest stuff right now. But honestly I made my budget by getting some really good deals. Frame $20 Craig’s list, Rock Shox Duke forks $50, XTR cranks $50, XTR shifter $60, Avid brakes $15, XTR front deraileur $10 from local MTB forum (SORBA). Then some things from a local used gear store like seat $5 and bars $5. I got a few things free used like tires and rear XT deraileur. Other stuff I got on clearance like a EA70 stem for $12, XC717/XT wheelset for$165sh, Cane Creek headset $35 and so on. I spent a lot of time looking for deals. Honestly with some odds and ends like grips and cables the price is probable over $500 but under $550. The wheels really blew my original $400 goal, but the are so much nicer than what I had.
    Glad it you like, I am very happy with it. Know I just need to work on my riding.

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    VERY NICE! Dude, half the fun is finding all the deals and figuring out what you want and then building it all up. Nice job>>>>>
    "The free press doesn't serve the government, it serves the governed."

mtbr member
    This what I did for $1,218. I am about to buy some new wheels which will bump it over $1400.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Do you have an inventory list and prices/locations of where you got all the components from?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    RobMC,
    Not really. Like I said, seat and bars from a local shop, Gear Revival from there used $5 bike parts. I got most of the used (XTR) parts from the good people of SORBA, a local MTB forum. A few used parts like tires for free from Criagslist or SORBA I can’t remember. The XT derailleur came from a guy I helped with a single speed conversion, he gave it to me. Wheelset from Performance on sale with a coupon for 20% off. Most other new stuff from Jenson or Cambria on there closeout. I could try to list the price next to all the weights if you want. Some of it should still be around but the really good deals were the used stuff. Keep in mind the XTR stuff is about 2 generations old. It is still really nice stuff but the serious guys don’t want it.
    Last edited by rc51kid; 11-13-2009 at 07:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rabidchicken
    This what I did for $1,218. I am about to buy some new wheels which will bump it over $1400.

Very nice looking bike. How do you like the FS?

PS i like your "bolt face"
    Thats another hobby of mine

mtbr member
    Nice!!! Great job.
    More people should build a bike. It's fun and rewarding.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

Members who have read this thread: 0