Finally got a bike!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Finally got a bike!!!

I have been kicking around the idea of Mtn biking for awhile and have been seriously looking for a bike the past 2 months. Well I finally got it. It's a trek 6000. So far I love it. It was like new when I got it an I immediately went for a quick ride. I am thrilled with this bike, I am really looking forward to hitting a trail on weds.

Just Ride !
    Now all ya need is a helmet, enjoy riding ,it's a blast
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Take care of them there reflector thingies. and have fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerider View Post
    Take care of them there reflector thingies. and have fun!
    Hahaha I was just telling my wife that when I was a kid thy was the first thing we did cause they were dorky.

DynoDon
    you don't have to take the reflectors off, they find a way of falling off or being broken off..LOL Happy Trails
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    Nice bike. I like the Black.

mtbr member
    Great purchase!
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thnaks fella's. I am loving it, except the seat. The seat feels as bad as my old BMX seats, which wasn't a issue cause you never used them. However I am assuming there are more comfortable options. I was told by my lbs that 85% of the time when trail riding your sitting down.

mtbr member
    I have a friend who rode one of those constantly until just very recently when he got a full suspension rig. He rode the heck out of that thing and it held up great. He had the Dart fork on there for a long time and then got a nice Fox fork, but the Dart held up just fine.

mtbr member
    Nice bike. Get some locking grips.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

It's all about the FSR!
    The seat looks really low. Try raising it up, and giving it a few rides. It might become a bit more comfortable. Nice bike, congrats on the purchase.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
    The seat looks really low. Try raising it up, and giving it a few rides. It might become a bit more comfortable. Nice bike, congrats on the purchase.
    I tried riding with the seat up but coming from a bmx back ground it's hard for me to be comfortable with it so high. I think I am gonna just out a seat that a little wider an should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JGguns View Post
    Hahaha I was just telling my wife that when I was a kid thy was the first thing we did cause they were dorky.
    It hasn't changed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Nice bike, have fun!

It's all about the FSR!
    I tried riding with the seat up but coming from a bmx back ground it's hard for me to be comfortable with it so high. I think I am gonna just out a seat that a little wider an should be good to go.
    I think that if you raise it, you will get a better ride, and your legs will thank you. I used to ride with the seat pretty low, but I was getting smoked. I now have the seat at a proper height, and my ride is more effective and productive. Seat position is a very important aspect to not overlook. Once you get the cockpit setup properly, you will see a major improvement in your riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Pedal on!

Just Ride
    Cool, enjoy! -thumbsup:
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Congrats - enjoy the ride, leave the trail as you found it, take out what you bring in, wear a helmet so you don't crack your skull open.

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    Cool, welcome to the club. Get out and ride it as much as you can! Might want to tip the seat back a little. Would take the pressure of your hands.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Seat is too low for me, also possibly tilted forward a tad too much. That might cause some pain of the junkage tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Enjoy man. Mountain Bikes are a blast. I wish I would have started sooner

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundoggy View Post
    Seat is too low for me, also possibly tilted forward a tad too much. That might cause some pain of the junkage tube.
    I kept that the same height, got a new seat and it's much better.
    Last edited by JGguns; 12-01-2011 at 02:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nice bike, enjoy.

It's all about the FSR!
    I kept that the same height, got a new seat and it's much better.
    Unless you have extremely short legs, your seat position is going to hurt your rides. You should be getting almost a full extension when the pedal is all the way down, meaning your leg should almost be completely straight. Just a slight bend in it. Anything lower than that, and you are just robbing yourself and working your legs too hard. If you are doing nothing but downhill, this is fine. If you are doing XC, which I would imagine that you are, you seriously want to consider raising that seat up.

mtbr member
    Most people that keep their seat low do so because it feels safer. But it's terribly inefficient unless you're standing to pedal 100% of the time.

Like most resistance to change, habit plays a big part. Anything new or different is usually met with resistance at first because it doesn't feel familiar. But having the seat raised for a full leg extension provides for a much more energy-efficient ride and it gives your leg muscles a more complete workout.

BTW, sweet bike.
    "That hat makes you look like an idiot."

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I went for a 8 mile ride today. I tilted my seat back some and raised it to the correct height. It felt a bit awkward at first but before half way it felt fine. Thanks for help fellas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Good for you JG! Ride the hell out of it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Very nice bike! Have fun!

It's all about the FSR!
    I have found for me, that the seat needs to be absolutely level for it to be comfortable. I had a lot of issues first raising the seat, and like jaynestown said, I met it with resistance. I am so glad that I raised it though. Once I got used to it, I raised it just a little more, and now it is staying there.

I use a level to make sure that my seat is perfectly level. I had it tilted back slightly, and it was messing with my back. Once you ride a little more you will start to make the cockpit adjustments as you need them, such as brake lever positioning, grips, possibly a stem swap, and shifter position. All of these can make a huge difference in comfort during your ride. Padded bike shorts will also help you out on longer rides. I used to scoff at them, but all it took was one ride with them on, and I cannot ride without them. Your butt will thank you.

Ride More, Work Less
    Nice ride and enjoy the fun.

Once you get a few more miles on the bike and need to take it back to the shop for the "cable stretch" tune up, you could ask them to walk you through refining the fit and set up. There are a lot of personal preferences that go into the set up, but there are some known efficiencies that they can check. Perhaps the biggest (and most important) is to ensure your pedal stroke doesn't wreck your knees. Little things like saddle height, fore-aft location, pedal selection all can play a role in how enjoyable it will be to ride for longer distances.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    How old is it?
    What did you pay if you don't mind?
    I'm in the same boat looking at a 2001 Trek 6500. The guy is asking $275.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Mine is a 2009 or 2010. It was 425, but was in new condition.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looks like new from the pic.! Glad you got such a great price 2!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    so what year is that 2011 or 2012 trek

i test rode trek model they had price of 1200 but cant remember which model it is.

it felt as good ride as xtc 26 model

It's all about the FSR!
    Looks like an 09 according to Bikepedia. Red is shown, but decals look the exact same, and was available in the color combo that you have.

BikePedia - 2009 Trek 6000 Complete Bicycle

Rides like a kid
    Congrats on the new bike!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The seat looks really low.
    There's no way in hell you can tell by looking at just the bike whether the seat is too high or low for the owner. It may be that the bike is too big.

It's all about the FSR!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    There's no way in hell you can tell by looking at just the bike whether the seat is too high or low for the owner. It may be that the bike is too big.
    I would think that if the seat had to be down that low, the bike would be too big for the rider. Judging by the picture, I am guessing that to be a large/19" frame, possibly a medium/17" frame. I could be wrong, but....

Quote Originally Posted by JGguns

I went for a 8 mile ride today. I tilted my seat back some and raised it to the correct height. It felt a bit awkward at first but before half way it felt fine. Thanks for help fellas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I would think that if the seat had to be down that low, the bike would be too big for the rider. Judging by the picture, I am guessing that to be a large/19" frame, possibly a medium/17" frame. I could be wrong, but....
    My reason for having the seat low was I rode BMX and a lot of street an park riding for many years. So for me to be sitting so high it felt very un natural. and before test riding a few bikes I had never ridden a mountain bike so I fell back on what I knew and what I THOUGHT was best but turns out I was mistaken. The seat being higher does lend it self to a more comfortable ride

It's all about the FSR!
    JGguns, just out of curiosity, what size is the bike you bought, and how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It's a 21" and I am 6'1 with shoes on and I have a 34" inseam

It's all about the FSR!
    Thanks. Not that you proved my point or anything.

Titanium junkie
    Congratulations on the purchase.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Not that you proved my point or anything.
    Proved bike wasn't too big for owner right?
    A 175mm crank arm is 7" below the BB plus 21" of seat tube you have 28" plus another 3" of seatpost becomes 31". How much extra room should you have?

It's all about the FSR!
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de View Post
    Proved bike wasn't too big for owner right?
    A 175mm crank arm is 7" below the BB plus 21" of seat tube you have 28" plus another 3" of seatpost becomes 31". How much extra room should you have?
    No, proved it to another member who doubted my ability to judge a bikes size just by looking at it.

mtbr member
    when I saw the photo at the beginning of the thread, my first thought was to ask how big the bike is and how tall you are. then I read the rest...

it sounds like the bike is about the right size for you and you discovered the value of a seatpost set tall enough to pedal. I also come from a bmx background and riding with a tall seat was weird for me too. read some basic articles about fitting a bike. the saddle should be LEVEL with the ground and tall enough that you can get a good extension at the knees without "reaching" for the pedals at the bottom of your pedal stroke. then the saddle fore-aft position can be set to center your weight over the cranks.

the tricky part is the stem length. have someone knowledgeable watch you ride the bike and they might be able to tell you if the stem is too high, too low, too long, or too short. that's a relatively cheap change to make.

please remove the reflectors before they fall off and litter the trail with ugly, sharp bits of plastic!

Sandy Eggo
    I just bought the same bike. Great choice!!