Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike

So after all my time on this site and web searching I ordered of the 2011 Fezzari Cascade Peak which I received this past Friday. So I thought I would post my experiences with receiving and assembling this bike since so many of the post I reviewed were quite skeptical of this company and getting a bike site unseen.

The only change made to the stock bike from Fezzari was the upgrade to the Talas for fork $100.00 which made my total cost $2,599.00.

The first few photos are how it looked when it came from FED EX, and what it looks like when you open the box, one from the left and one from the right side of the box.

The next few pictures are what it looked like coming out of the box and some close-ups of the packaging. Overall I was quite impressed with the way it was packaged.

This is the accessories and the manuals that came with it .

First step for me was to put the seat on so I could mount it on the bike stand. Took a few more photos to show some additional detail. The rear skewer bolt had this plastic piece on it to protect it from the side of the box and from getting crushed as you can see it fell off. The same thing happened to the front skewer as you can see in the previous picture. The front tire also had this big plastic piece on it to keep it protected in the box.

The next picture shows it on the stand with some of the packaging removed.

I like the attention to detail they showed here, adding plastic to the frame to protect it from scratching on the Styrofoam packaging. The bike was without a dent or a scratch, good job on that.

The completed bike on the rack and now my stable is complete. You can see my main baby the 2006 Specialized Roubaix, my CX rig the 2006 Fuji Crosspro and my wifeís Jamis bike which she never rides Ė that was a waste of $400.00.

A close up of the Shimano pedals I added to the bike. Did learn a lesson from those on my first real ride, I must clip I MUST clip, Iíll almost beefed it because my feet bounced of the pedals and I couldnít power through the rut.

Just a photo of the front of the bike.

This is across from my house the guy next door built it heís a BMX racer good enough to be sponsored from Fuji. This is where it saw its first action.

This is a picture of it after its first real ride itís just a little dirty. About a mile from my house someone built a 1/8 mile track for Quad/Motorcycle practice. Iíve used it before with my COSTCO piece of junk I used to have and my CX bike for practice, so Itís a good frame of reference.

On a side note you might notice that I have the cable on the wrong side of the stem when I put the handle bars on I didn't pay attention to that. Didn't catch it until I started to clean the bike after this ride.

Next post will be my actual review of the bike and the building/adjusting experience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike-1.jpg  

Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike-2.jpg  

Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike-3.jpg  

Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike-4.jpg  

Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike-5.jpg  

Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike-6.jpg  

Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike-7.jpg  

Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike-8.jpg  

Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike-9.jpg  

Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike-10.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    congratulations. I have the 2010 version of it and am loving it. i was very impressed with their packaging and the care they took to make sure it does not get damaged during transport.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Good job!!

I look forward to reading your impressions of the bike after you've taken it out to the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm very close to ordering a Fezzari King's Peak, this kind of review is very helpful for my decision process. Thank you for sharing!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the posting! I was looking at the same exact bike w/ the Talas fork also. Some of your picture link are broken and not sure if you have a shot of the bike as a whole. If not, do you mind posting a shot of the entire bike?

Just seeing how well the black Talas fork paint matches up with the rest of the paint job on the bike.

The main reason for the Talas upgrade for me w/ the abilit to set the travel between 120 and 150 since the Float RLC is only 150. 120 when I'm just riding on asphalt and 150 when I'm on a trail.

My decision comes down to the Cascade vs Trance X2 or X4 and upgrade compoents on X4 later on down the road. With the recent sale on the Trance dropping to $2099, it made the Trance X2 more attractive.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for sharing the photos. I actually just ordered the ninety9ninety 29er in red. I added an FSA carbon bar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Not sure what happen to the Pix but here are the ones that are missing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike-11.jpg  

Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike-12.jpg  

Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike-13.jpg  

Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike-14.jpg  

Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike-15.jpg  

Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike-16.jpg  

Last edited by dciandrew; 04-19-2011 at 02:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just a picture of the course by my house. Its flat with about 5 moguls, but it still fun for practice and nice to take my boy to and not have to watch him 100% of the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike-capture2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I recalling someone saying the S frame does not have the bolts to hold the water bottle holder while the M frame and up do.

From your pix, I can see your bike does have the bolts to hold the water bottle holder. Is your frame a S by any chance?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyNeutron10101
    I recalling someone saying the S frame does not have the bolts to hold the water bottle holder while the M frame and up do.

From your pix, I can see your bike does have the bolts to hold the water bottle holder. Is your frame a S by any chance?

Thanks!
    No way, no chance that's a S. Sorry, bud.

I'd say that's a large (or bigger).

I have a M (17.0) and I have no bosses and neither does the S.

Just get a bigger/better camelback ;-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    To build the bike was no problem as easy as they say on their website. Of course I have previous experience with my road and cross bikes, so it’s no different than what I had expected. I did like having the bike in the stand though; bringing it up to work height is always a plus. I did put the cable for the brake on the wrong side of the stem at first but corrected that. I guess I was just too excited to get my butt on the seat and my feet on the pedals.

The front derailleur was not setup correctly or didn’t stay setup during shipping. I could not get it to stay on the big ring. If I held the shifter it would hold the ring but obviously that had to be corrected. I adjusted the barrel on the shifter and also had to adjust the limit screw. Also while on the stand I adjusted the barrel for the rear derailleur, I was trying to fine tune the shift from 1 –10 it seemed that on one of the cogs it held the gear a little long before it shifted, might just be a Sram thing.

The fit of the bike was spot on. I described to Chris with Fezzari how I like a higher riding position and a shorter reach due to a shoulder problem, and I would have to say that this bike fits my needs perfectly in that reguard. One problem I had when testing a few different MTB’s is the position of my neck and head, I would always put a strain on my neck lifting my head up so I could see the far enough down the road not just what’s in front of my tire. The Fezzari is perfect in this regard my neck is in a neutral position and I see exactly the right distance in front of me. The longest ride so far has been for 50 minutes and I had no discomfort in my neck.

The only adjustment I needed to make for fit was where they had put the brakes and shifters. They were right on the edge of the grips thus my thumbs would hit the shifters and even change gears when I would hit a hard bump. So I had to move them about 5/8 of an inch and this also allowed me to use the full grip and not fill scrunched. Now this is where I had my problem.

One of the bolts on the right hand brake was too tight, so I stripped the head on it. So I got my handy dandy vise grips and after scratching the brake collar still no luck it wouldn’t budge. I went over to mechanic friends house that lives down the street, and has all the tools, including better vise grips, still no luck. Ultimately what he ended up doing was to use a dremel to make a slot for a blade screwdriver, and with that and a set of vice grips for leverage and the two of us holding the tools we were able break it loose. It was so bad we thought for sure it was cross-threaded – it wasn’t. So I’ve called Fezzari and spoke with (Sam ?) and he said they would send me out a new brake collar and bolts. I didn’t want the first scratch and nicks on the bike to be from tools and not me making them on the trails.

I’ll post about the ride in a later update.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by will-lee wonka
    No way, no chance that's a S. Sorry, bud.

I'd say that's a large (or bigger).

I have a M (17.0) and I have no bosses and neither does the S.

Just get a bigger/better camelback ;-)
    Its a size L and it still looks to small for anything but a 16oz bottle. I don't think I'll ever use it. I either use a waterpack or put a bottle in the back of my jersery.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    I love stories with happy endings. Nice to see you got your bike, andrew. Looks like an all-mountain, do-anything, go-anywhere beast.

Any idea on the total weight? For what it can do, seems like it would be relatively light.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish
    I love stories with happy endings. Nice to see you got your bike, andrew. Looks like an all-mountain, do-anything, go-anywhere beast.

Any idea on the total weight? For what it can do, seems like it would be relatively light.
    I tried to weigh it using the me on the scale method and got three different weights the highest beinging 30.0 and the lowest being 27.6. So what is its weight can't really say, this is for a frame size L with pedals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    On my hanging scale, mine weighs 28.16 with Mavic Crosstrails setup with stans tubeless and eggbeater pedals.
    Last edited by will-lee wonka; 04-27-2011 at 07:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just a quick follow up. Fezzari sent me out the replacement brake colar this week. So no problems with their service.

Due to the flu and it being my main training season for road. I've only been on it a couple of times on the flat track shown above. So any review at this time would be incomplete.

mtb 4 life
    Just ordered a kings peak. Post a thread when you get yours!

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing the photos.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by riderRuss View Post
    Thanks for sharing the photos. I actually just ordered the ninety9ninety 29er in red. I added an FSA carbon bar.
    What do you think of your ninety9ninety? I really like what I have seen so far about it.

Members who have read this thread: 1