few questions about getting new bike setup- Mtbr.com
    rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

few questions about getting new bike setup

I was lucky enough to get one of the Vitus Nucleus 27 VRS's today....and have just a few questions about getting it setup for me.

Im 38...haven't ridden a bike in over 10 years..and am a fatass at 250lbs and 5'8". Im wanting to get back in shape for my 2 kids...and to support my 5 year old son who just learned to ride sans training wheels last weekend.

I'll be riding on a local trail (green) to work on getting up my stamina and what have you.

Im going to need pedals and a helmet.......any advice on these?

also...being that it has an air shock, how many PSI should i be putting in it?
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse
    I dont think the frame, shock, fork, rims, drive train, handlebars, tires and stem would hold up very well but that kickstand looks pretty burley.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You'll need to use a shock pump to pressurize your fork. There may be suggestions based on weight on the side of the fork. Or on the website for that model. Sag of 25% when you're standing on the pedals with some weight on the bars is another metric to help set pressure.

I go for a used helmet on Craigslist. Bell is good for me.
    Remember to take it easy the first few times out. It takes awhile to break in your seat muscles and learn to keep some weight off the seat. Otherwise you'll be sore the first few hours out riding no matter what seat you have.
    After you 'toughen up' you can ride hard no problem. . . .until the same thing at the start of next season.

Don't skip the harder trails. Adrenalin from fear is what hooked most of us into this sport.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Used helmet is a bad idea. Helmets are designed to take one hard hit; you have no way of knowing if a used helmet has already done that. Plus, wearing someone's used, sweated up helmet is kinda like wearing someone's used, sweated up underwear. Gross.

Different helmet makers use different designs. Some fit certain heads better than others. This is one of the few MTB related purchases that you really need to make first-hand so you can try on a few. It's also pretty important that it be fitted/adjusted correctly. Strongly recommend going to a shop for this until/unless you know what fits you best already and how to adjust it.

Grab yourself some padded riding shorts while your at it too. Make a world of difference.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I would never buy a used helmet for the same reason I would not buy used underwear. You have no idea if the helmet was in a crash and therefore now useless. maybe if it's obviously brand new and you know the person selling it, that's fine.

buy a helmet that fits YOUR head. you'll have to try some on. if you have to buy online, find one with a generous return policy. for example, I can NOT wear Bell helmets because they don't fit my head and I get a headache from the pressure, but that's just how my head is shaped. Giro helmets fit me, so I only buy those now.

there are a ton of good pedals on the market. don't buy a generic knockoff pedal online. I hear good things about Raceface Chesters, Kona Wah-Wahs, and OneUp pedals. I bought some Issi Thump pedals and those don't get enough good press.

carry some water. wear some kind of glasses to keep bugs and bits of dirt out of your eyeball. wear comfortable athletic clothing. a cycling short or liner of some sort will help a lot because they don't have sewn seams sawing their way into your taint while you pedal. gloves are a good idea so you don't tear up your hands when you fall. get last year's color from a bike shop or get some work gloves at Home Depot for under $20.

explaining how to set up an air coil suspension fork is a bit too complicated to be done by text. I would look for an authoritative guide on YouTube. did the bike come with a fork manual? usually they do.

Bikesexual
    Since slap ^^ covered the helmet, Race Face Chesters for $50 are great pedals, at a great price.

Pearl Izumi for the shorts slap mentioned, throw some shorts on top and enjoy!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

jcd's best friend
    Great to see you getting back on a bike! I'm 40 and weight a bit more than you. I've been cycling for 6 years now. When I started out, it was a bit rough. I could only last 2-3 miles max before I was done. I do a bit of mixed riding now and I can push up to 65 miles on my gravel bike and 20-30 miles on my mountain bike. Definitely keep at it!

As for air pressure, there are a couple of ways to get it set correctly. The simplest way is to use the guidelines that are set by the fork manufacturer. You should be able to find it online. You will want to adjust pressure accordingly once you set it for the manufacturer's recommendation.

If you do need assistance with setting up your fork, you can always contact your local bike shop later on when things start to trend back to normal. You can also watch a few YouTube videos to help you out too. Don't forget to buy a shock pump!
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can buy a decent helmet for around $50 ,helmets have to meet some fed standard's. More money gets you more vents ,lighter , and other stuff.

mtbr member
    Stick with it. I was in the same boat as you 3-4 years ago. My doctor has been "thrilled" with the results. Every objective measure of health has improved as has my mindset (having fun, being less tired, thinking about things other than just obligations).

Everyone else covered it, +1 for DO NOT buy a used helmet. Raceface pedals are good, I had some Crank Bros that were good. You have lots of good choices. Get a color you like. Last but not least, clean your bike when you are done. Dirt in your suspension and in your drivetrain will increase the cost of the sport tremendously.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    im going to get some orange chesters and ive got a pair of O'neal Pinned Pro shoes in my car (well..10's and 11's, i'll return the wrong size)

If i can find an open bike shop this weekend, i'll grab a helmet...still waiting on bike to ship, so i have time.
    I dont think the frame, shock, fork, rims, drive train, handlebars, tires and stem would hold up very well but that kickstand looks pretty burley.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd View Post
    im going to get some orange chesters and ive got a pair of O'neal Pinned Pro shoes in my car (well..10's and 11's, i'll return the wrong size)

If i can find an open bike shop this weekend, i'll grab a helmet...still waiting on bike to ship, so i have time.
    The type of helmet isn't really critical. Does not need to be expensive. You may also want at least a cheap pair of gloves. If you havent been riding for a few years, your hands might get a little bit blistery.

have fun out there
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    The type of helmet isn't really critical. Does not need to be expensive. You may also want at least a cheap pair of gloves. If you havent been riding for a few years, your hands might get a little bit blistery.

have fun out there
    i found a pair of gloves and pair of padded bike shorts i got from Performance Bikes in like...2011? They kind of still fit, haha.