Eyeglass Wearers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Eyeglass Wearers

Those of you that wear glasses. Do you wear anything to protect your glasses, full face helmet, etc...?

Jul 2006
    I went with contacts and on the very top of my list of reasons why was riding! I never wear my glasses while riding.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    I wear my glasses and don't do anything special to protect them. Are you worried about branches or brush or something? In those cases I'd go for proper eye protection.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

nnn
    mtbr member
    I use contacts for active stuff like MTB, parkour, skiing etc it makes everything so much easier!

C S
    mtbr member
    I don't. I've never really had a problem wearing my glasses when riding (or anything else for that fact), but I'll probably give contacts a try this year.

May 2007
    I can't wear contacts so I'm stuck with glasses...when and if I can afford it , I'll get prescription sports lenses. I don't use any protection for the glasses but if I thought they'd jump off my face I'd get an elastic band- I'd be far more worried about losing them than having them damaged while I'm wearing them...

mtbr member
    I don't wear anything to protect my glasses when I ride, but I've looked into getting sports lenses/glasses before.

mtbr member
    I don't recommend anyone riding anywhere with out something protecting their eyes. Be it an insect in the summer or a twig in the winter--I some polycarbonate between my eyes and the intruder.

I wear polarized, plastic, over-RX (grandpa in the RV) sunglasses in the daytime. Plain nekkid polycarbonate at night. Used to have some fancy lens change out RX cycling setup, but lost that in the Gulf of Mexico.

The biggest problem I ever had with glasses and riding is sweat. Some sort of dew rag or head sweat goes a long way to prevent that. AND it's awfully hard to find anything clean & dry to clean up glasses on the trail should the need arise--so I recommend folks carry something for that purpose in a dry bag for the hot days. At least here in the SE.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. W.C. Fields

Bike Junkie
    I've ridden for years with my regular day wear glasses and there is nothing wrong with it. I used a strap to keep them on me. I crashed a couple of times and bent them and now that I wear rimless glasses I went out and got a set of Zeal optics to wear when riding. Probably the best investment for me that year. Beat a new wheelset, saddle, tires, or any other thing. You really rely on those things to see and having a frame and lenses that help protect your eye as well as one that I can swap out the lenses really helps for different conditions.

Yup keep wearing your glasses and get a croakie or something to keep them with you if you should take a spill.
    See You On The Trails!

bi-winning
    umm, no.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    i have about 10 pairs of sunglasses.
    1 von zipper, and 1 oakley pair i only use mtbing/working in the yard
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

AKA Dr.Nob
    If you can I would recommend contacts. I only use my specs early morning or late night after I've taken the contacts out. Plus with contacts you have a heap of options with sunglasses.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

Jan 2006
    I was unable to get used to contacts... felt like a fishbowl while wearing them, and while riding the Road bike, they dried out too fast... SO, Performance Radial II, with the prescription insert has worked for the past 4 or 5 years.

Lusus Naturae
    Got some prescription cycling sunglasses (Rudy Project). Problem is I can't really use them at night. They're expensive too.

The lenses can be changed out but then I'd have to pay for the clear prescription lenses too. And its not easy to pop them in and out really.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just wear my normal everyday glasses. I do have a pair of prescription sunglasses (Tifosi) for if it's really stupid bright out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    40dollarglasses.com and those cheap elastic bands that loop around the back of your head.

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    I have trouble with contacts in dry dusty coditions, and sometimes I just don't have time to put in my contacts for a ride. 6:30 group ride, got out of work late, etc.

My solution is when I ride with glasses is I use last years glasses

LCI #1853
    Quote Originally Posted by explodingtaco
    I went with contacts and on the very top of my list of reasons why was riding! I never wear my glasses while riding.
    Glasses are the one piece of safety gear that can actually PREVENT your being in a crash as opposed to simply protecting your hide or your noggin when you eventually have one. Even a pair of cheap sunglasses or sports lenses will work.

Busting down a trail or grinding up a switchback, or even out on the road you're subject to getting a bug in your eye, or a piece of grit, road or trail debris, mud, etc. When you get something in your eye, you usually can't see and lose focus on where you're going, leading to either sideswiping a tree or taking a short, downward trip over the handlebars.

Glasses of some sort to protect your eyes ought to be every bit as important a piece of biking gear as your helmet.

Me, I wear prescription sport sunglasses, or if in the dark, I have a pair of Tifosi lenses that slip over my regular eyeglasses. Never ride without 'em...

Who are the brain police?
    I've always worn eyeglasses (now prescription sunglasses) and the only time I had issues was when riding in sub-zero temps with clear goggles over the glasses. When the glasses fogged up, I was screwed since it was too cold to take off the gloves or goggles.

I tried contacts but hated them. Also, my front tire kicked up a tiny pebble that got lodged in my eye. Had to goto the emergency room to get it removed. Glasses probably would have blocked it.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Nov 2007
    I wear my contacts with a normal pair of sunglasses. or some days i will wear my prescription sunglasses. I have a hard time getting my contacts in sometimes.

Dec 2007
    I wear contacts while riding but always keep my spare set & glasses in the car just in case. I had an incident where I was lifting a mates bike up to him & the handlebar got me in the eye & pushed my contact around the side of my eye; it took some poking around with an oily/dirty finger to get it out again. I wear riding sunnies for trail use, proven in the field not to fall off when you go OTB, or Spy goggles for DH.

Apr 2007
    I wear contacts with Oakleys to stop mud etc getting in my eye. Also it stops the eye drying out.

I carry some spares in my CamelBak

Also carry some water based lubricants that I put in when its hot.

At the moment I tend to wear daily contact lenses the monthly ones I find a right pain with sport.

mtbr member
    As said always wear some form of eye protection even if you don't need them to see. I wear glasses and do nothing special to protect them and do a lot of silly things and they've stayed on - actually Sunday was the first day they've come off my face and that was compliments of some nasty overgrown branches.
    I did get some sport glasses, but found that the extreeme curvature actually made stuff seem "worse" than it actually was and stopped wearing them in favour of normal glasses - since then I've been riding alot more stuff, because it doesn't look as steep etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Jan 2004
    i just made the jump to contacts. i've always worn some sort of sun glasses on the trail...gave up being able to see detail with not squinting and getting crap in my eyes. with my most recent purchase, Oakley Radars, i checked into RX lenses and, well....even at my cost, way too much. over Christmas i got contacts and am finally getting used to them. let me tell you, it's great being able to wear whatever sunglasses i want, whenever i want, wherever i want.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i never have tried contacts - just too many potential problems there. not to mention that you can't get automatically tinting contacts ;oP

i ride with my every-day glasses all the time. they've got the transitions tinting and scratch-proof coating. after about 2-3 years, they do start getting very very light scratches - but i'm normally onto another pair by then since insurance gives me a pair a year...

and surprisingly...for all the times i've been doing stupid stuff and got thrown of the steed, slid down hillsides, flipped, etc...they've never ONCE fallen off of my face.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Oct 2007
    i always wear contacts and cheap sunglasses (blue, yellow, or clear). and i always wear clear cheapies at night.

2 reasons: #1 they help keep my contacts from drying out. #2 and much more importantly, they protect my eyes from any number of nasty things. I can't tell you how many times i've taken twigs, mud, rocks, bugs and branches off my face during a ride. (the occasional face-plant too )

bottom line... protect your eyes. you don't even want to consider your options should you injure one seriously.

Because I am !
    Just wore my glasses as normal till I crashed hard one day and they came
    Off. I found them and they were not damaged, however it made me think
    how hard it would be to get out of the wilderness without them so I now
    wear one of those sport straps and wrap around the back of you head, IF
    I go back in the wilderness. If riding the local trails, I don't worry about it.
    They have actually saved my eyes by deflecting rocks, limbs, hail, bugs, etc.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Rec Spec Biker frame with Poly Carb plastic lens (second set of lens, plastic scratches and transition fades), transition lens will darken when hit with sunlight. The lens winds up costing more than the frame. RecSpecs are no name but look and work just fine, don't do Oakley or others, waste of money.

Just Google the name, or ask your optometrist if they carry em.

They do the job, surround the eye, i use them for work too (i'm in construction), protecting your eyes is absolutely important.

Contact lenses and protective eyewear work just as well, but if you're near sighted prescription lenses are clearer. Contacts work, but not as crisp.

.~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton
    I don't reco

The biggest problem I ever had with glasses and riding is sweat. Some sort of dew rag or head sweat goes a long way to prevent that. AND it's awfully hard to find anything clean & dry to clean up glasses on the trail should the need arise--so I recommend folks carry something for that purpose in a dry bag for the hot days. At least here in the SE.
    Ain't that the truth !!! I always carry some tissues or tp in a ziploc in my pack - for cleaning glasses and possibly wiping butt if ever necessary (although I've yet to have to take a dump while cycling...knock on wood )

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I either wear contact with cheep wrap around sunglass' or if low light or over cast I wear my reg glass'. As I work alot with metal my everyday glass's are prety much persciption safty glass's, with a bit of a wrap around and polycorbinite lense's. Realy Realy want to get another pair with tranistion lense's, but if I buy those that takes away from my beer and bike fund. If you guys are lookin for some cheep glass's for the trail check out Zennioptical.com. I get all my specs from there for CHEAP!

mtbr member
    I wear my glasses too and have no problems with it. I used to have these too and worked well:

If interested:
    Kontrol Sports
    SUPER FLEX Grimalid Frames, MODDED SEIKO DIVER WATCHES items in Kontrol Sports USA store on eBay!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trek7100 View Post
    Those of you that wear glasses. Do you wear anything to protect your glasses, full face helmet, etc...?
    Nope. Never found the need. Just a regular helmet. I have taken to wearing a headband to trap the sweat and have clean cloth in my camelbak to remove and sweat drops on my lenses. I hate looking through sweat streaks. You may need something to hold glasses so they don't fall off your face, but that is about it.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i have a nice set of mil-spec shades ( i figure if its rated for shrapnel then it'll survive my motorcycle and bike) that have lens inserts for prescriptions.

they arent too expensive outside of the actual prescription lens.

Wiley X | Tactical Changeable - Pt-1

the ballistic resistance of the spectacles shall be such that they will pass a Vo test using a 0.15 caliber, 5.8 grain, T37 shaped projectile at a velocity of 640 to 660 feet per second when tested as specified in 4.4.1.1.
    essentially take a bbgun pump it up to max and shoot the lens from 12 inches.

if you need more protection that that please let me know where your riding so i can avoid that area.

Talk to me, Goose.
    Oakley Jawbone glasses are amazing. They are expensive, around 150 bucks still... but so far are the best prescription glasses i've used for riding. They have ventilation holes around the edge of the actual lenses to prevent fogging, and they fit comfortably. The other nice thing is that the lenses don't "bend" the view or force things out of proportion.. very good stuff.
    We can't stop here, this is bat country..

Members who have read this thread: 0