eventual upgrade to full suspension- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

eventual upgrade to full suspension

i have been slowly swapping out parts on my jamis durango. i eventually want to upgrade to a full suspension and was wondering if all of the parts i have been putting on my durango will fit on to a FS frame like a jamis dakar. i would rather buy just the frame and use my current components.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech420 View Post
    i have been slowly swapping out parts on my jamis durango. i eventually want to upgrade to a full suspension and was wondering if all of the parts i have been putting on my durango will fit on to a FS frame like a jamis dakar. i would rather buy just the frame and use my current components.
    Most will. Jamis is pretty consistent across their model lines with basic components. Things like front derailleurs, seat posts, headsets, and bottom brackets are all pretty standard.

But it will depend heavily on which Dakar model you go for. Little things will change depending on the model. For example, the XCR has a tapered head tube, so a new headset would be required. The Sixfifty would take a lot more new stuff, fork, headset, wheels etc. The XCT wold be pretty much the same as the Sixfifty. The XC would be pretty much an even swap. So, depending on the model, you may be able to swap parts, or you may not.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Fat-tired Roadie
    Make your next purchase the new frame. Then you can figure out what, exactly won't move over, get that stuff, and finish the job in a weekend.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

T.W.O
    Almost everything, if not all should swap over from Jamis to Jamis. Just know if you get a jamis with a longer travel fork you will be effing up your geometry the bike was intended for.. in that case you would have to buy a new fork, or have a bad handling bike.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    thank you guys i really appreciate it. any website you guys recommend to order a frame from, or is that done through the manufacturer

Fat-tired Roadie
    Depends on the frame. I think Jamis is an "authorized resellers only" manufacturer, so you need to find a local dealer. Although I know that people have been buying a couple models online...

I've noticed that bikeman.com has a lot of framesets. Jenson has a fair number. And Google Shopping is adept at finding these things of course.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Depends on the frame. I think Jamis is an "authorized resellers only" manufacturer, so you need to find a local dealer. Although I know that people have been buying a couple models online...

I've noticed that bikeman.com has a lot of framesets. Jenson has a fair number. And Google Shopping is adept at finding these things of course.
    i have been looking all around for Jamis frames and havent really had much luck. ill talk to my LBS that sold me the bike.